New here

Laeticia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my 3rd try to post a short presentation, because it seems my IE decided that I spend way too much time on different forums and has died on me already twice... Giving "page not found" messages afterwards. Or then it's the french internet connection that doesn't want to cooperate. :D

So, I'm a female iaidoka from Finland, although I live in France until the end of June due to my studies. I'm working on my MA in japanese studies and not training enough, but hopefully the training part will change next year as I need to spend less and less of time in lectures.

The forum looks interesting, so I'm happy to be here and maybe even *gasp* contribute!

Cheers,
Laeticia

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Laeticia! If you have any questions please feel free to pm a moderator or mentor. Really great to have you on board. Post away and have fun! :wavey:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, welcome to MartialTalk!! Glad to have you, hope to read your posts. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

7sm
Adam C

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
From Finland in France studying Japanese.

I have trouble with form the US in the US trying to learn Chinese, how on earth do you keep track of all those languages?

Welcome to MT.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!! Enjoy your stay!:ultracool

Mike

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your connection. Happy posting!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to have you here. Just wondered, have you learned to speak French as well, and also Japanese? If so, you are very talented. My daughter would give her eye teeth (just a saying meaning she would very much want to) to go live in France.

Look forward to learning more about your Iaido. I'm a Taekwondoin. (I'm in Minnesota-alot of Norwegian ancestry here). TW

OP
L

Laeticia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Glad to have you here. Just wondered, have you learned to speak French as well, and also Japanese? If so, you are very talented.

Good morning all,

Don't know about talented, but my mum put me to a french-speaking school (actually pre-school as I was 5yo at that time). I stayed there until 9th class, that is 11 years so I got a good base in french. Which is good as before coming here I hadn't really actively used french in 6 years... :) Japanese I started 3,5 years ago when I entered the university.

It's sure interesting to study Japanese in French. How do I handle multiple languages at the same time? Well... I try to use english only in writing and not use swedish at all (another language I understand quite well as my dad speaks it at home with my little sister, but which I don't really actively use). And trying to write anything "scholarly" in Finnish has become a real pain in the rear. I'm somewhere between all these languages.

I just have to add, being finnish gives you a whole new perspective about languages: if you want to go anywhere, you'd better start learning languages, because there's not gonna be anyone who'll speak Finnish... But we're not all THIS much into languages. I'm just more deranged than most. :D

Cheers,
Laeticia

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Laeticia said:
Good morning all,

Don't know about talented, but my mum put me to a french-speaking school (actually pre-school as I was 5yo at that time). I stayed there until 9th class, that is 11 years so I got a good base in french. Which is good as before coming here I hadn't really actively used french in 6 years... :) Japanese I started 3,5 years ago when I entered the university.

It's sure interesting to study Japanese in French. How do I handle multiple languages at the same time? Well... I try to use english only in writing and not use swedish at all (another language I understand quite well as my dad speaks it at home with my little sister, but which I don't really actively use). And trying to write anything "scholarly" in Finnish has become a real pain in the rear. I'm somewhere between all these languages.

I just have to add, being finnish gives you a whole new perspective about languages: if you want to go anywhere, you'd better start learning languages, because there's not gonna be anyone who'll speak Finnish... But we're not all THIS much into languages. I'm just more deranged than most. :D

Cheers,
Laeticia

I'm impressed! I had a girlfriend in high school whose father was an Air Force Officer. Her mother was French and she grew up in bases Germany, Italy, then the U.S. and also attended a lycee for several years in France. By 17, she spoke several languages fluently. Oh, the envy! I took five years of French in school but couldn't speak it to save my life. I do (did) speak Spanish when I was younger, but haven't used it much in the past 20 years.

Great to have you here.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to MT....

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! I am always impressed by people that can speak multiple languages! Looking forward to your contributions to the forum!

lalom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! Good to have you here! Don't get lost! There are so many things to check out!

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome!! I've only been here a little while myself and have learned much, hope you enjoy it as much as I have been.

Latest Discussions