New anti Sine Wave pattern deliveries on Youtube

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You agree with me that pattern mechanics are distinct from mitts practice. Punching principles is clearly pattern mechanics. This is your problem to solve, not mine.
I don't see a problem. Some different emphasis of principles is used in forms. That's actually pretty common in my experience - it's sort of the basis of the classical Japanese MA training approach, IMO. That doesn't eliminate the two really odd issues with your claims here:
  1. Just because a punch is identified separately (with additional principles) doesn't make it suddenly not within the category of attacks.
  2. Just because something is done differently in forms, that doesn't mean the same principles don't apply (they often are applied with different emphasis).
Keep training and learning.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
You agree with me that pattern mechanics are distinct from mitts practice. Punching principles is clearly pattern mechanics. This is your problem to solve, not mine.
Sir, 1. Perhaps "Distinct" is the wrong word. I would say they have common principles. 2. Not a problem at all, since I never viewed everything in TK-D or many traditional martial arts to be solely geared toward sparring or Self defense. If all you want to do is train for sparring or Self defense, your problem is you chose the wrong discipline and . you want to change the discipline to suit your goals.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, 1. Perhaps "Distinct" is the wrong word. I would say they have common principles. .

Kicks certainly share common principles between forms and mitts practise, but punches do so only by coincidence.

General Choi had nothing to do with our modern day boxing-ish pad work. This was born out of the sport side of TaeKwonDo.

Not sure how your other point pertains to the conversation.

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't see a problem. Some different emphasis of principles is used in forms. That's actually pretty common in my experience - it's sort of the basis of the classical Japanese MA training approach, IMO. That doesn't eliminate the two really odd issues with your claims here:
  1. Just because a punch is identified separately (with additional principles) doesn't make it suddenly not within the category of attacks.
  2. Just because something is done differently in forms, that doesn't mean the same principles don't apply (they often are applied with different emphasis).
Keep training and learning.

You sure have a lot of arrogance once again butting into something you have no clue about and telling me to keep learning.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is irrelevant if "jerking the hip" refers to punches, since punches are not thrown the same in pad work and sparring. The mechanics of punching there is a product of Sport Karate/TKD which General Choi had no involvement in, besides agreeing to a common rule-set for the ITF side.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sure have a lot of arrogance once again butting into something you have no clue about and telling me to keep learning.

Oooo get you sunshine!

Does empty your cup mean anything to you at all?:cool:

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oooo get you sunshine!

Does empty your cup mean anything to you at all?:cool:

I have 6 years of training and reading. He has zero. He just foolishly assumes Mr Weiss is correct, even though General Choi had more mood swings and shifting opinions than a woman on her period.

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
General Choi at one point reportedly did a 180 and claimed that Karate is a Taekkyon derivative.

I'm just firing these off in advance because I know you think I'm exaggerating.

It doesn't get more crazy than that.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
General Choi at one point reportedly did a 180 and claimed that Karate is a Taekkyon derivative.

I'm just firing these off in advance because I know you think I'm exaggerating.

It doesn't get more crazy than that.
Show us proof of your claim.
Let me guess; you were there in person, right?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have 6 years of training and reading. He has zero. He just foolishly assumes Mr Weiss is correct, even though General Choi had more mood swings and shifting opinions than a woman on her period.
I put my money on 6 months 'training' and 5 1/2 years of reading. And then reading into it what you want it to say.
Regardless, you have been consistently wrong.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure how your other point pertains to the conversation.
Sir, really? You said it was my problem to solve vis a vis differences in Hand techniques between patterns and sparring drills. I don't see a problem let alone having to solve one.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sir, To the contrary. If he is not a Chang Hon person (he may be) and he sees that punches are attacks and you do not see the connection, the problem is not with him.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
even though General Choi had more mood swings and shifting opinions than a woman on her period.
Sir, you know this how? How many classroom hours did you spend with General Choi? Did you take notes on what he said? Did you highlight discrepancies?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well aren't you the right little sexist. You are also incorrect as usual about women, but then that's your forte isn't it, being wrong, rude and arrogant. There is no place here for your misogyny.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well aren't you the right little sexist. You are also incorrect as usual about women, but then that's your forte isn't it, being wrong, rude and arrogant. There is no place here for your misogyny.

Yes such a misoginist stating biological facts.:rolleyes: I'm sorry you took offense to being a woman

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, really? You said it was my problem to solve vis a vis differences in Hand techniques between patterns and sparring drills. I don't see a problem let alone having to solve one.

It is your problem as it relates to our discussion about to hip twist or not hip twist (as Shakespear would put it).

Attack techniques need to refer to patterns, let alone punching in patterns.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, you know this how? How many classroom hours did you spend with General Choi? Did you take notes on what he said? Did you highlight discrepancies?

I have clips on Youtube of General Choi puking over the KKW. And others embracing them.

Latest Discussions