New anti Sine Wave pattern deliveries on Youtube

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then Choi supposedly got a second Dan from the Japanese.
I forgot to reply to this. This, apparently, wasn't an odd practice. I know of one instructor who was promoted 2nd-5th dan by letter, by an instructor he hadn't physically seen in years. 3rd-5th were (and still are in the system) considered more honorary ranks. Second was (and still is) seen as the last technical (skill-based) rank.

From what I understand, when folks were distant from any possible instructor who could rank them up, if they were active and producing students for long enough, someone back in Japan would rank them up in recognition of the time and effort they continued to put into the art.

I don't know how common it was (nor if it still happens, now that video is so easy to exchange), but there are examples enough that I doubt it was surprising.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Depending how testing is done, that may not be unreasonable. If it's extra time for the instructor (or other instructors, to cover class during testing), and there are other fees (cost of belt, registering with an association), it might be mostly a wash. If it takes regular class time (everyone in class is testing) and doesn't cover anything else, that's extra money.

I do know some schools use testing fees rather than higher monthly fees, in which case, the number of tests doesn't really make much difference. It actually works out well for students who are slower to test, since they get lower monthly fees in the deal.

Monthly fee seems to be an American thing. In Sweden you pay for 6 months of training all up front. In America that's apparently viewed as Mcdojo which I find odd.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then again, the Taekkyon claim is fairytales so who knows...

General Choi Hong Hi – Michal Košátko

"When he became older he went to Japan to study calligraphy. Choi had been studying calligraphy and Taek Kyon in Korea under Han Il Dong and upon arrival in Japan he started to study Shotokan Karate as a student of a Korean named Kim Hyun-soo, and after two years of intensive training he was presented with a first Dan Black Belt in Shotokan. He then went into Tokyo University where he studied under Master Gichin Funakoshi, founder of Shotokan, and gained his second Dan."
I don't know which part of that is supposed to be fairy tales - I probably don't know enough to recognize it. The two years to shodan wouldn't be all that odd in Japan, from what I understand.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monthly fee seems to be an American thing. In Sweden you pay for 6 months of training all up front. In America that's apparently viewed as Mcdojo which I find odd.
The issue is that many folks join and only last a month. Schools that force contracts here mostly seem to do it to get much more money from folks. I used to offer term payments (up to a full year) that were lower, but nobody ever took them. Most folks paid monthy, and some paid per-class (if they weren't going to make enough classes for the monthly fee to make sense).

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
New and inexperienced to what?
Sir, rather than re type a page of text I refer you to the Encyclopedia Volume I First Edition page 94 "Significance of First Degree" If your edition is different go to Index of Volume I/ 1 Find the Page for "Rank" and then on about the third page after where that is listed you will find it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
. Again, deemphasizing hip twist, contrary to your claim that it is supposed to be left in tact.
Sir, so are you reframing your point to "Deemphasizing" from "Eliminating" ? Huge difference. Mainly because what many learned if roots went back to some pre -TKD Kwans was over exaggerated. Changing this habit was not a change in TK-D, only a change for what some did.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But it's not, really. If someone came from a non-belt art (let's say boxing) and decided to use belts to make managing class easier, it wouldn't really matter to me that they'd never been awarded a BB rank - they're defining what that belt (and the others) signifies within their new system.

His definitions and principles were copy and pasted from Shotokan Karate, including "one punch, one kill" which he changed to "one punch, one victory". The first encyclopedia has him punching a makiwara, etc.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, so are you reframing your point to "Deemphasizing" from "Eliminating" ? Huge difference. Mainly because what many learned if roots went back to some pre -TKD Kwans was over exaggerated. Changing this habit was not a change in TK-D, only a change for what some did.

I am not reframing it. I stand by that Choi did not want hip twist for punches. However, even if you take the view that Master Yeo wanted hip twist, he certainly didn't want it as much as before, which you claim is SW proper.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
We were talking about how Choi defines first Dan black belt. I thought it would be appropriate if he ever had one himself.

I did not buy that the japanese award him a black belt in 2 years, but it just so happens that they didn't, it was a Korean instructor. Then Choi supposedly got a second Dan from the Japanese.
Sir, Which is your claim? In the first sentence you seem to indicate he did not have a black belt, and in the second you claim he had one from a Korean Instructor? Of course none of this really matters to the discussion since you seem to feel your knowledge and ability better qualifies you to define First Degree than General Choi who created the criteria for his system.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

The original principles in his first english encyclopedia doesn't have hip twist in the parameters either. Very alarming if Choi never wanted it in the first place even though everybody did it.

Doing Karate punches without hip twist lacks momentum and are weak arm punches.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, Which is your claim? In the first sentence you seem to indicate he did not have a black belt, and in the second you claim he had one from a Korean Instructor? Of course none of this really matters to the discussion since you seem to feel your knowledge and ability better qualifies you to define First Degree than General Choi who created the criteria for his system.

From what I've read it's all reworded Shotokan criterias and principles. Can you point to one that is uniquely his?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not reframing it. I stand by that Choi did not want hip twist for punches. However, even if you take the view that Master Yeo wanted hip twist, he certainly didn't want it as much as before, which you claim is SW proper.
Sir, they were your words - not mine. You change the argument from "Eliminated" to Deemphasizing" which had have put you on the right path - for the wrong reason - but the right path. As I have stated before lots of people (including me) did lots of stuff due to their lineage and when they learned the Chang Hon standard felt it was a change, when in fact it was a correction.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The original principles in his first english encyclopedia doesn't have hip twist in the parameters either. Very alarming if Choi never wanted it in the first place even though everybody did it.
Sir, Actually it does and I have quoted Volume and page but because you are fixated on the term "Twist" where he says "Turn" or "Jerk" the hip you feel you have made this distinction where there is no difference.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, they were your words - not mine. You change the argument from "Eliminated" to Deemphasizing" which had have put you on the right path - for the wrong reason - but the right path. As I have stated before lots of people (including me) did lots of stuff due to their lineage and when they learned the Chang Hon standard felt it was a change, when in fact it was a correction.

I wrote deemphasized because Master Yeo does not fail you by doing some of it, even If he wants zero.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, Actually it does and I have quoted Volume and page but because you are fixated on the term "Twist" where he says "Turn" or "Jerk" the hip you feel you have made this distinction where there is no difference.

Jerk is not in the punching principles. You are conflating "attack techniques" parameters with punching principles page.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I've read it's all reworded Shotokan criterias and principles. Can you point to one that is uniquely his?
Sir, first and foremost this response has nothing to do with what you quote at post 371. Next, I have no incentive to review each principle and criteria and compare it to Shotokan, and then codified systems that pre date that as well. It's no Secret Chang Hon Has roots in Shotokan Shorin, Shorei etc.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jerk is not in the punching principles. You are conflating "attack techniques" parameters with punching principles page.
Sir, last I checked "Punching" was part of Attack techniques. How can you claim something specified for attacks would not be part of punching?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, first and foremost this response has nothing to do with what you quote at post 371. Next, I have no incentive to review each principle and criteria and compare it to Shotokan, and then codified systems that pre date that as well. It's no Secret Chang Hon Has roots in Shotokan Shorin, Shorei etc.

Then how do you know that he created them?

I just gave an example of Choi rewording Shotokan principles from one punch, one "kill" to one strike, one "victory".

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, last I checked "Punching" was part of Attack techniques. How can you claim something specified for attacks would not be part of punching?

Because the punching principles are clearly SW/pattern strict parameters whereas attack techniques sections are not. They can refer to hitting mitts, breaking, sparring, etc

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is where we get into perceived meaning again. "President" doesn't mean anything powerful. Technically, I'm the President of my company. Mind you, the Hobbit and I are the only members in the LLC, and I currently have no employees (had 3 at most). But "President" is still an appropriate title...because it does't mean much on its own. The meaning comes from what the person is president of. Just the a black belt, in and of itself, has little intrinsic meaning.
Agree.
But I hope it would be true to say you are proud of the business you have created. Something to be proud of and a cornerstone of our great country. I hope this is how attaining black belt is thought of for most. As an accomplishment.

Discussing "proud of" could take some time.

If for nothing other than organizational purpose, I would assume in the course of some business conversations you refer to yourself as owner, or president or some kind of title. Or maybe you are "The Guy". :)

Latest Discussions