New anti Sine Wave pattern deliveries on Youtube

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
or at least it should not if done correctly the body should not move forward and back, only slightly up and down.

It went from miles away from Boxing textbooks to galaxies. The body mechanics of a baseball pitch has more in common with Boxing than Chois Sine Wave.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your body has to sink back in order to put down the rear heel. It is humanly impossible not to do so.
I'd challenge you to look into the stack-and-tilt golf swing. You can absolutely raise and lower a heel without dropping weight into that foot.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd challenge you to look into the stack-and-tilt golf swing. You can absolutely raise and lower a heel without dropping weight into that foot.

Yes but it makes no sense for a punch. The mechanics have nothing to do with boxing. Glad we put that to rest.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My favorite Sine Wave quote uttered by my *** instructor is: "Sine Wave is physics!"

Well, duh! Everything is physics!

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Btw, if ones reach is possibly shortened by putting the rear heel down, as Weiss said, how does that not lead to sinking backwards (some of the time)? If your reach is less than before, then you must have gone in an opposite direction, If your fist at the same time is moving forward

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Btw, if ones reach is possibly shortened by putting the rear heel down, as Weiss said, how does that not lead to sinking backwards (some of the time)? If your reach is less than before, then you must have gone in an opposite direction, If your fist at the same time is moving forward
The easiest way to think of this is in two static positions. Stand near a wall and do a punch with heel on the ground. Measure the distance from the fist to the wall.
Then simply raise the back heel up. For a number of reasons, the greatest being the angle of the back leg I think, your fist will move forward closer to the wall.

Not trying to speak for Mr. Weiss, it is more complex than my simple answer in application however. There are a plethora of reasons why a person may want to have the heel off the ground and just as many why the heel needs to be planted.

There just is not One answer to your query. I imagine every video you watch can lead to another question on the matter.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
raise the back heel up.
Agree! If your opponent moves back, how will you be able to reach him if you don't raise your back heel up?

To assume that your opponent is always a static object is not a realistic assumption.

chain-punch.gif

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not trying to speak for Mr. Weiss, it is more complex than my simple answer in application however. There are a plethora of reasons why a person may want to have the heel off the ground and just as many why the heel needs to be planted.

There just is not One answer to your query. I imagine every video you watch can lead to another question on the matter.

Yep this! I just did some bagwork, tried back heel up, back heel down, felt mostly the same hitting the bag, and was still able to generate and drive power into the bag. I even stood on one leg and you can actually still generate power haha. Not overly recommended against a live opponent but who knows!

Heel up/heel down depends, and may even depend on what movement you're wanting to do AFTER the strike.

But anyways, onward!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heel up/heel down depends, ...
In some MA systems, it's wrong when you are in the

- beginner level, you punch with back heel up (you don't understand how to borrow the counter force from the ground)
- advance level, you punch with back heel down (you don't understand how to do running punch).

IMO, after the power has been generated from your back leg and reach to your hip. your back leg ground connection is no longer important.

Flying-punch.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yep this! I just did some bagwork, tried back heel up, back heel down, felt mostly the same hitting the bag,

But anyways, onward!

That in it self reveals that you aren't utiziling proper leverage. Heel up is a huge difference when done right. If all you do is Karate, you won't know that. What you write is to be expected from someone with muscle memory that will overwrite any potential to change the muscle memory, because your body is hard-wired to punch in a certain way no matter what.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That in it self reveals that you aren't utiziling proper leverage. Heel up is a huge difference when done right. If all you do is Karate, you won't know that. What you write is to be expected from someone with muscle memory that will overwrite any potential to change the muscle memory, because your body is hard-wired to punch in a certain way no matter what.

Interesting conclusion of finality you've jumped to there! ;D It was a quick play around on the bag, and moreso to say that not everything we do has to be 100% maximum power 100% of the time anyway. Like I said, I could stand on one leg and get some solid of power through knowing my own equilibrium and utilising what I call 'sinking' and tight hip wobble/compression, maintaining good structure and balance.

Each method of power generation/different body structures have pros and cons. Heel up vs heel down depends, it's a debate that seems to keep going on but they each have their own use.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
You do recall that Mr Weiss started the "Sine Wave is boxing rabbit hole"?

Sir, If I said that (I think it a misquote) I mis spoke. What I say is the legs are used to generate punching power in Boxing. This is done thru flexing the knees. This knee flexion is what causes the up / down (down / up / down) motion General Choi used the term "SW" to describe. (A metaphor convenient to contrast with Flat Wave and Saw Tooth Wave) The idea of flexing the knees to generate punching power is not unique to TK-D. You may see it as different I see it as the same notwithstanding pattern motions being stylized and exaggerated.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sir, perhaps your key is "Some of the time" Look at the Suska video again. Raising the rear heel CAN extend the reach but if flex the rear knee as you raise the heal there is no forward motion so if you straighten the knee as you drop the heel there is no rearward motion. Don't believe me - believe your own eyes.

Now, as far as "some of the time goes", if you keep the rear leg locked and raise the heel of that leg you will move forward and if you then drop the heel you would move backward. This is incorrect methodology. This was specifically addressed by General Choi due to a direct question at one IIC.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
None of your business

Then why did you post and ask about it on this forum instead of just giving your former instructor a call and ask about it?

Btw, you didn't answer my question in that thread.

Why did my ITF instructor give me EKF gloves?

No need to try and denegrate me. While mr Weiss was dabbling with bullshido artist George Dillman, my father won European gold in Shotokan karate as well as national championship in Yugoslavia, the parent art of the style we are discussing.

But I'm terribly sorry I wasn't conceived yet

Wanna try and denegrate me some more?

I also boxed, and sinking backwards while delivering the strike is the very opposite of sound boxing principles.

Sorry if you thought my intention was to denigrate you. My post was simply an advice to look beyond Youtube videos and if you look up your own posts, you'll realize that you post those a lot.

There are few things that need to be considered:

- With a lot of techniques, there isn't just one 'right' way to execute them.
- Just because it's in a video and appears to be perfect in your eyes, does not mean that it's actually perfect
- Some things can't really be compared: Taekwondo Kibon Dongjak movements and a Boxer's in fight movements for example.

Also: This is a discussion platform for Martial Arts, with this is the Taekwondo Section. Discussion does not mean repeating and insisting on your own opinion over and over and ignoring the objections and explanations of others.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, perhaps your key is "Some of the time" Look at the Suska video again. Raising the rear heel CAN extend the reach but if flex the rear knee as you raise the heal there is no forward motion so if you straighten the knee as you drop the heel there is no rearward motion. Don't believe me - believe your own eyes.

Now, as far as "some of the time goes", if you keep the rear leg locked and raise the heel of that leg you will move forward and if you then drop the heel you would move backward. This is incorrect methodology. This was specifically addressed by General Choi due to a direct question at one IIC.

The knee flexion is purely symbolic if you are in the process of putting it back down when you punch. Not only have you failed to generate any extra power, since you are fixed in one position, you are guaranteeing this fixed stance by placing the heel down during the excecution phase. To add insult to injury, your reach will only be as good as the length of you arm.

You can't say that placing the heel down is purely to reach the default fighting stance in the kata, since Chois principles clearly state it in the encyclopedias that it should be placed firmly on the ground at the moment of impact, and makes no exception to this rule.

Latest Discussions