Never really knew...

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What sorta of politics do you have in japanese federations?

Same same, federation ripoffs, fallouts, teacher dating crap, all the regular stuff. Plus the my master's better than yours, the higharchy, federation dues, etc.
Just less of the 'challenges', and nastiness.
It's not as closed door to other styles, and they usually accept another person's rank when they come over to different school. (at least we did.)

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you mean by accepting their ranks???

Same same, federation ripoffs, fallouts, teacher dating crap, all the regular stuff. Plus the my master's better than yours, the higharchy, federation dues, etc.
Just less of the 'challenges', and nastiness.
It's not as closed door to other styles, and they usually accept another person's rank when they come over to different school. (at least we did.)

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We let them wear their black belts or whatever rank they were from other art in class, and were treated as a black belt. Legishaou. (can't spell that anymore. lol!)

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting...How did they adapt to Wing Chun?
Where the black belts able to keep up with the Wing Chun Black Belts.

We let them wear their black belts or whatever rank they were from other art in class, and were treated as a black belt. Legishaou. (can't spell that anymore. lol!)

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, that was in my japanese art. Wing Chun doesn't do that, I want to reconize other's rank in whatever art they come from. It's only polite. :)
In my old art the blackbelt kept rank, but still started to learn with the white belt stuff. Politics, I guess, just kept their "stature" or rank in class.

ex. one girl came over to JJJ class as a black belt in TKD. She still had to learn the "new" style from the beginning, but was reconized for her rank.

We had a guy come to our WC class from another WC school, he'd studied there for 5 years. We accepted his "rank" with other teacher and started him with "our styles" basics. he was allowed to skip a couple of grades, so to speak, but not to the level he was in other teachers WC. He just didn't know what we taught, it was different. So we started teaching him from there (grade 2) but from other teacher he was a senior student. We treated him as a SiHing/senior student, but had to get him up to level with our Si-Je/SiHing senior students. Which took about 6 months, but he was too stiff. so, it's really all relative.
Basically, give respect for the hard work and training they've done in other arts and from other teachers, just start them new with what you teach.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay I get it. I figure he would have to get accalimated to your style!!!

No, that was in my japanese art. Wing Chun doesn't do that, I want to reconize other's rank in whatever art they come from. It's only polite. :)
In my old art the blackbelt kept rank, but still started to learn with the white belt stuff. Politics, I guess, just kept their "stature" or rank in class.

ex. one girl came over to JJJ class as a black belt in TKD. She still had to learn the "new" style from the beginning, but was reconized for her rank.

We had a guy come to our WC class from another WC school, he'd studied there for 5 years. We accepted his "rank" with other teacher and started him with "our styles" basics. he was allowed to skip a couple of grades, so to speak, but not to the level he was in other teachers WC. He just didn't know what we taught, it was different. So we started teaching him from there (grade 2) but from other teacher he was a senior student. We treated him as a SiHing/senior student, but had to get him up to level with our Si-Je/SiHing senior students. Which took about 6 months, but he was too stiff. so, it's really all relative.
Basically, give respect for the hard work and training they've done in other arts and from other teachers, just start them new with what you teach.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well sure. But still reconize the hard work they've done in training other art. Even if they have to start at the beginning. A Sensi is a Sensi, a Sifu is a Sifu.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay thats great, Atleast they can spar on their level of expertise if they use their Wing Chun....

Well sure. But still reconize the hard work they've done in training other art. Even if they have to start at the beginning. A Sensi is a Sensi, a Sifu is a Sifu.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
The late and great Carlson Gracie Jr. had been quoted as saying Wing Chun principles mesh very well with Gracie Jiujitsu after doing seminars with Sam Kwok (or was it Sam Chan?). I believe he was training Wing Chun around the time of his death.

In my opinion, I think the two arts together would make a formidable and practicle street defense. Both systems are means for smaller fighters to overcome size and strength. Royce and co. proved it in NHB and MMA for nearly 100 years and Wing Chun/Tsun has long proved it as well.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may notice that some posts are missing from this thread; they've been moved to the thread How to defeat a Wrestler where they are more on topic.

-jks9199

Latest Discussions