Nerve strikes

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Doc, I agree with almost all the stuf you've written about ethics and responsibility, except for the following part

When your students are ex-military, doctors, lawyers, cops, and business professionals, ethics is something I could almost take for granted.

These are people like the rest, so don't take it almost for granted. There's as many wolves under a university degree than elsewhere, if not more. They only show it other ways...

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Kenpomachine
Doc, I agree with almost all the stuf you've written about ethics and responsibility, except for the following part

These are people like the rest, so don't take it almost for granted. There's as many wolves under a university degree than elsewhere, if not more. They only show it other ways...

Enron, Iran-Contra affair, Some of our US Senators, hmmm, let's not take it for granted, I never do.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo
Enron, Iran-Contra affair, Some of our US Senators, hmmm, let's not take it for granted, I never do.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde
I've been in the business of putting people in jail a long time. I didn't put the word almost there in my previous statement on a whim. I've had several students who ended up incarcerated over the years, and yes one of them was a sheriff's deputy. Just because you come in "clean" doesn't mean you'll stay that way. I've been teaching 38 years, and I've seen a lot. But my students track records are better than most because I start from such a high standard. But I also realize pobody's nerfect.

OP
R

roryneil

I don't understand the mystery about nerve strikes. They are all over Kenpo and I "am but a beginner...". The first strike in the first tech you learn, Delayed Sword, is against the nerve that runs along the wrist on the thumb side (I don't know all my "nerve names"). Am I missing something?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by roryneil
I don't understand the mystery about nerve strikes. They are all over Kenpo and I "am but a beginner...". The first strike in the first tech you learn, Delayed Sword, is against the nerve that runs along the wrist on the thumb side (I don't know all my "nerve names"). Am I missing something?
Of course it's up to interpretation in some teachings but, that is not the strike that is of significance, and we do not strike the wrist at all. However that is an interesting perspective. What would be the purpose of striking that/a nerve in the sequence?

But the mystery is not that they exist for some, but how to utilize them. And this of course requires a significant amount of very specific knowledge that very very very few have.

OP
R

roryneil

Doc
How are you not striking the wrist? And you hit there to make him let go right?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by roryneil
Doc
How are you not striking the wrist?
We don't strike the wrist because it will not accomplish our goal of "control" and the angle necessary along with the posture are not present or possible with the left hand.
And you hit there to make him let go right?
No. Hitting there for a "nerve" will have no effect beyong blunt force trauma applications in this context. I in fact do not want him to "let go." I do however want to control his grip so I may release it when I desire. The concept of "Control Dominence" and "Control Release" are majors parts of SubLevel Four Kenpo. We always control and dominate the space between the bodies and never relinquish until completion.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
points on the radial side of the wrist are used for applying wrist locks. Instead of striking it you should squeeze it. This causes the wrist to bend. Points are heart 4,5,6 and 7.
Bob:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu
points on the radial side of the wrist are used for applying wrist locks. Instead of striking it you should squeeze it. This causes the wrist to bend. Points are heart 4,5,6 and 7.
Bob:asian:
While I won't dispute the applications you suggest to the Fire-Ring which is correct in one sense, that too would be out of context for the technique being discussed, what it purports to accomplish and would serve no purpose toward that end.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by gravity
Doc Chapel,

Very insightful stuff, especially the idealogy of the Kenpo system and Mr Parker's foresight on how instructors would interpret the system.

I'm greatly amazed that with all the information out there in videos, books & the Internet not many authors/ instructors include a disclaimer on their techniques. I don't mean the simple 'these are deadly techniques - use only if threatened'. But rather the consequences and responsibilities one bares using such techniques on another human being. Sometimes it becomes so easy to get desensitised to these great techniques and forget the real effects they can have.

Thank You Kindly
The truth sir is the majority are essentially inept and are only marginally better capable of defending themselves then some with no training. Some worse. The truth is if all those commercial techniques were so "deadly" we would have heard about it by now in the media, lawsuits, accidental deaths, etc.

Latest Discussions