Need some ideas

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh! So this is my kind of place: get criticized randomly and piled on ! :D
Can I fight back? lol

Well thanks for the warm welcome here to MT!

Of course you can fight back. You win when you get accused of being the bjj Mafia.

How good are these mma guys? I mean you would have to be able to learn something off them.

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The mma buddies of mine?
Two were in for 4 years, the other on is still on--around 6 years, the last had 2 or 3 (don't know him real well yet). The other three are pretty good, and can teach me bjj if I'm willing to put up with the brutality, lol.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The mma buddies of mine?
Two were in for 4 years the other on is still in around 6 years the last had 2 or 3 (don't know him real well yet. The other three are pretty good, and can teach me bjj if I'm willing to put up with the brutality, lol.

That will work. Look a good fundamental base in anything won't hurt.

What style do you want to do?

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That will work. Look a good fundamental base in anything won't hurt.

What style do you want to do?

BJJ now, but I want to learn everything I can, whatever I get a chance to.
I want to Learn Krav at some point for sure tho.
And I really do want to spend more time in Aikido. I loved it when I was leaning it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
BJJ now, but I want to learn everything I can, whatever I get a chance to.
I want to Learn Krav at some point for sure tho.
And I really do want to spend more time in Aikido. I loved it when I was leaning it.

Getting in what you can at the moment seems the best option.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One possibility is:
1. Go to seminaires with experts (hard to define...). So you can support some punctual displacements.
2. Find a partner (or more) to train in between seminaires.

PS: Nowadays virtually everyone is ex-mma fighter... You see, in your town there are not even one club, but there are ex-ma fighters.

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, it's sad, but I can at least learn the basics of something and get some kind of start.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, it's sad, but I can at least learn the basics of something and get some kind of start.
Guessing you're answering to my suggestion...
Just be sure you get the proper basics. It can shape your entire martial 'career'.
Learning from someone who had the courage or will to jump into a cage may be, or not, the best kind of start.
Good luck. Try. Ask advice about your potential ex-mma fighter instructors to someone trustable (hard to define...)...

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Marques has a good suggestion there. I bet you could find a few other people in your area that have done a little martial arts (maybe put up some flyers around town or post something on Facebook) and get a practice group together. You guys could go to a seminar a couple times a year, maybe get a membership to that online BJJ program one of the Gracie guys does, and then get together once a week in your garage to practice what you've learned. You'd probably want to drop a couple hundred bucks on some mats and a heavy bag (look on Craigslist for used ones), but I'd think that should be enough to get you started.

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
= You'd probably want to drop a couple hundred bucks on some mats and a heavy bag (look on Craigslist for used ones), but I'd think that should be enough to get you started.

you cold actually build your own mat/floor pretty cheap, using 2X4, Plywood, scrap carpeting, interlocking foam flooring, and some packing foam. i made one for the Dojo i was renting with another system, it came out awesome and lasted for a few years, even with all the bouncing the kids did on it every night.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
you cold actually build your own mat/floor pretty cheap, using 2X4, Plywood, scrap carpeting, interlocking foam flooring, and some packing foam. i made one for the Dojo i was renting with another system, it came out awesome and lasted for a few years, even with all the bouncing the kids did on it every night.

Huh. Do you think that would be enough padding for doing grappling? I was thinking puzzle mats or wrestling mats myself.

OP
BTittel

BTittel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The guy teaching bjj has 5 years PROPER training.I trust he can get me the basics)
My dad, brother and I are carpenters (we can engineer something) and brother and myself are idiots (for testing purposes) :)
I think we could do it no problem.
I am going to talk to friends to start a club, if you will. I was planning that for a while. But they are jailers so it's hard to get them together.

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Huh. Do you think that would be enough padding for doing grappling? I was thinking puzzle mats or wrestling mats myself.
yes i absolutely do, i have built it and used it, it has sufficient padding and bounce, almost like a gymnastics floor but less bounce.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The guy teaching bjj has 5 years PROPER training.I trust he can get me the basics)
My dad, brother and I are carpenters (we can engineer something) and brother and myself are idiots (for testing purposes) :)
I am going to talk to friends to start a club, if you will. I was planning that for a while. But they are jailers so it's hard to get them together.
What belt is the BJJ guy? With 5 yrs I'd think he's either a solid blue or a purple. Unless he lived on the matts during his training and then maybe a brown. If he made purple then yeah, he should do just fine for training under for awhile. I'm a blue and have taught a number of classes for beginners.

Like I mentioned on the first page (and WaterGal mentioned), you guys could do the Gracie University curriculum or you can associate with 10th Planet and form a hot box for nogi stuff.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
images
I did this as a kid and end up fracturing my ankle.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've heard about Ashihara karate's distance learning program. Ashihara is a full contact Kyokushin offshoot. Their founder was one of the most successful Kyokushin instructors before he left.

If you have a few people who are serious about training and will train consistently with you, it may be a good option.

Link:

Distance Education - Ashihara Karate International - Kaicho Hoosain Narker

Link to thread about it in Kyokushin4life forum:

http://www.kyokushin4life.com/forum...-from-kyokushin/4222-ashihara-online-training

I'm in no way affiliated with Ashihara nor personally know anyone who's done the training I linked to, so I'm not endorsing it, just saying it may be worthwhile to look in to.

HW1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I teach privately in the Kansas City area (about 5 hour drive from you). I have a lifetime experience and been teaching for over 8 years now. If you ever wanna take a drive down here for instruction I can put together a 1 or 2 day seminar for you to train and eventually teach. I teach a combination of traditional and practical applications of Kali/Eskrima, Wing Chun, Silat, and Aikido. I offer group discounts if you bring friends. Thanks and good luck with your path in martial arts.

Latest Discussions