need a video

ShotoJon

White Belt
Reaction score
im having trouble finding a video of the Shotokan Kata: Shinto. any help?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try spelling it "Chinto"; I think you'll find it without much trouble. That's the way I've seen it spelled most frequently.

Victor Smith

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Furthermore in Shotokan Chinto Kata is called Gankaku Kata. In the original Itosu lineage Chinto had it's name changed by Funakoshi Ginchin to a more recognizable one for the Japanese. Gankanku meaning 'Crane on a Rock'.
Here is one YouTube example

Last edited by a moderator:

lma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Furthermore in Shotokan Chinto Kata is called Gankaku Kata. In the original Itosu lineage Chinto had it's name changed by Funakoshi Ginchin to a more recognizable one for the Japanese. Gankanku meaning 'Crane on a Rock'.Here is one YouTube example
Does Chinto have another meaning or is it just as you say to be more recognisable. Also is there any other differences than the name ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's 'Chinto' in Wado Ryu and the kata I believe has differences from the Shotokan one.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As everyone else has said, search for Chinto and Gankaku and you should find plenty! It's a fun, interesting kata but a lot of people don't like it because of the one-legged stances.

Does Chinto have another meaning or is it just as you say to be more recognisable. Also is there any other differences than the name ?

Chinto is the name of a person that Bushi Matsumura had an altercation with and decided to learn from, as the story goes, so I don't know that it has any real applicable meeting since Chinto (the kata) is supposed to be a collection of the techniques learned from Chinto (the man). Gankaku sounds neat, though :p.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When Funakoshi was introducing karate to mainland Japan in the 1920's, some of the kata names were changed from names that a named after Chinese military attaches, sailors, etc. and Uchinanguchi languages (Okinawan dialect) to Japanese names because the Japanese people are prejudiced against Chinese people. So Chinto (who is named after a Chinese sailor) was changed to Gankaku, Wanshu became Enpi, Useishi became Gojushiho, Passai became Bassai, Kushanku became Kanku. That was in the Shotokan and Kyokushinkai systems that most of the kata names were changed to suit Japanese standards in an effort to disregard any Chinese influence on the art. As the saying goes "The protruding nail that sticks up, gets hammered down completely."

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've practiced both the Wado Ryu version, Chinto, and the Shotokan version, Gankaku.

For the most part, they're similar, although the characteristic kihon in each of the systems shows. For example, in Chinto, the Wado preference for a simultaneous front kick + hammer fist vs in Gankaku, where the Shotokan preference for a side kick + backfist is present. Also, Gankaku uses a rising motion while performing the manji uke, whereas Chinto does not.

Overall, Gankaku is a bit more difficult, mostly because of that rising and sinking motion while standing in your tsuru dachi, especially when combining it with the above kick.

I recommend looking at Kanazawa's performance of Gankau. Just search for it in youtube.com and you'll see several examples.