Naihanchi 1-3 Video and Application Discussion

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This was originally written by Joe Swift and it pretty much sums up the Naihanchi Katas very succinctly...

Written by Joe Swift, Tokyo Japan

Naihanchi no Kata

Naihanchi (a.k.a. Naifuanchi) is typical of in-fighting techniques, including grappling. There are three kata in modern (i.e. post 1900) karate, with the second and third being thought to have been created by Itosu Anko (Iwai, 1992; Kinjo, 1991a; Murakami, 1991). Another popular theory is that originally the three were one kata, but were broken up into three separate parts by Itosu (Aragaki, 2000; Iwai, 1992).

This kata was not originally developed to be used when fighting against a wall, but this does not preclude such interpretations. While the kata itself goes side to side, the applications are more often than not against an attacker who is in front of you, or grabbing at you from the sides or behind. Some say that the side-to-side movement is to build up the necessary balance and physique for quick footwork and body-shifting (Kinjo, 1991b).

Interestingly, most versions of Naihanchi start to the right side, including Itosu, Matsumura and Kyan's versions. Isshinryu's Naihanchi starts to the left. There are others that start to the left as well, including that of Kishimoto Soko lineage schools like Genseiryu and Bugeikan (Shukumine, 1966), the Tomari version of Matsumora Kosaku lineage schools like Gohakukai (Okinawa Board of Education, 1995), and Motobu Choki's version (Motobu, 1997). This last may account for Shimabuku Tatsuo beginning his Naihanchi to the left.

Isshinryu Naihanchi is basically a re-working of the classical Naihanchi Shodan, in order to keep it in line with the principles around which Shimabuku built his style. The main reason Shimabuku did not retain Naihanchi Nidan and Sandan is probably because his primary teacher Kyan did not teach them (Okinawa Prefectural Board of Education, 1995).

Native speakers of japanese have seen naihanchi
written 3 ways. One way has the kanji Nai= inner/inside, Han = half, and Chi = ground. The second has the first and last kanji as the same and a different middle kanji. The third way has the second kanji translated as the word claw...as in gripping the ground with the toes and foot.

When discussion the applications for this kata, this concept is very instructive. This is because it gives a clue as to the range in which the applications of these forms are performed.

I will post some videos of applications that we work on in Superior TSD in the future.

upnorthkyosa

robertmrivers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Motobu Choki's Naihanchi, as taught by Motobu Chosei Sensei, does start to the right. Some of the confusion is footage on a video and during certain demos where they go to the left as a training tool.

Regards

Rob Rivers

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yet, I have seen video of Chosei starting to the left side and saying that was how he learned it from his father.

Also, as has been stated. Shimabuku (isshinryu) learned Naihanchi from Motobu and also starts it to the left.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of the hyungs I've been taught, I'm having the most difficulty with Naihanchi Ee Dan. Your video would be a better aid for me if we did it like you (or you like us). I hope you don't mind if I use it as such. I don't know where the discrepancies started, but we do have some differences (TKD v. TSD?) But, I think they are similar enough for it to help me so I really appreciate that. Thank you also for the background and comments on the form.

I haven't even started on Naihanchi Sam Dan yet. The 2nd and 3rd Naihanchi forms are relatively new to our organization.

Regards,
crushing

robertmrivers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Punisher 73

Which video did you hear Motobu CHosei Soke say that his father taught him to go to the left?

Rob Rivers

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
UpNorth - In Naihanchi Cho Dan, the two blocks (2nd and 3rd movements from the end and from the end of the first half), are also executed with what looks like a swinging motion of your leg and foot. Can you expand a bit on the purpose of that leg movement and the application? I am assuming that it bases around the "blocks" not actually being blocks and it looks like it could be a sweep of some kind. Thanks!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is another explanation for the move...

The move immediately preceeding it, is a block and perhaps a grab of some kind. The next movement would pull uke off balance and kick out his knee. Thus, the "block" that follows is actually a rear naked choke.

Attachments

• $Required Ill Soo Shik 22.AVI
    376.8 KB · Views: 176
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some other thoughts that I've had have included a lapel choke, an arm bar kick combination, a double strike...etc. Are you working on anything in particular?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some other thoughts that I've had have included a lapel choke, an arm bar kick combination, a double strike...etc. Are you working on anything in particular?

Not anything in particular - actually, I was watching your video of Naihanchi in New Zealand (impressive....I tried to do it on a curb and it isnt' as easy as it looks) and noticed that move. I execute that move a bit differently and never really thought about that particular leg movement before. As I step into Keema Jaseh, the foot comes up to my knee, but doesn't kick or sweep in front of the stationary leg.

Your explanation makes a lot more sense to me and gives a real application to that movement. Thanks!

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice applications. As always, your efforts to keep filesize slow mean I can't analyze your videos as well as I wish, but very cool nonetheless. We do the keema hyung (naihanchi) forms a bit differently - in keema hyung cho dan, for instance, we don't do the low kicking motions which indicate the sweep for the two blocks, for one - but then again, we have slightly different interpretations, I guess. Not that I don't appreciate knowing something else that move might be. I'll have to try that on a partner sometime before class *evil grin*.

I actually got the opportunity to teach keema hyung sam dan to one of my juniors (tested for e dan maybe a year after I did) tonight. That's a fun experience. I like the way your moves are fluid; one of the things I myself constantly have to fight, and have to remind people when I'm teaching them, is to remain relaxed up until the moment of impact.

I really should do videos of our versions of keema hyung cho dan and sam dan for comparison - keema hyung e dan is included in one of my videos on youtube. It's really interesting to see how two TSD schools can differ so much in the way they teach hyung from the same source.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We do the keema hyung (naihanchi) forms a bit differently - in keema hyung cho dan, for instance, we don't do the low kicking motions which indicate the sweep for the two blocks, for one - but then again, we have slightly different interpretations, I guess.

How are you performing this move? I'm not quite understanding? Also, what is your interpretation?

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
How are you performing this move? I'm not quite understanding? Also, what is your interpretation?

After the three-move block/joint lock and counter strike:

Forward fist comes to opposite side of head, palm inward, same-side foot comes to opposite knee, wind-up and stomp down with hand and foot together into the "blocking" motion. Keep hands where they are, bring up other foot to opposite knee, stomp down with hand and foot together for the other "blocking" motion. Basically the same, but foot to knee instead of out to the side.

The obvious interpretation is just two blocks, but of course I have them in quotes for a reason. I prefer to see it as a throw. Taking the first instance of the sequence: left hand blocks a punch to the face, then goes in for a hip throw. I've tested it out, and it works pretty well, but of course you have to step behind the opponent's forward foot (hence picking up your knee and stepping down) and you have to use your waist. As to what the "official" story in the ITF is, I've heard different things, among them both things I've just told you. If you think about the fact that you're stomping with the foot setting down, it could also work for avoiding a strike coming at you via side-step and then simultaneously stomping on the person's forward foot and giving them a kap kwon kong kyuck to the side of the head. From there, you're either going to see the next move as a throw (hip, shoulder, whichever's most possible) or as blocking another attack with an outside-inside block/strike, then grabbing the opponent's head and cranking it over.

I really like your interpretation, though, as I said before. Something else to think about. One thing my instructor always says is that there are many, many possibilities behind any given part of a form. That's why I enjoy studying them.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Quick edit: where I say "stopming on the person's forward foot and giving them a kap kwon kong kyuck," I should just have said "foot," since depending on position you might not be in, well, a position to strike the forward foot. It might even just be a low kick to the back of the knee.