Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
N.Y. School Suspends Girl, 10, for Peppermint Oil

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581144,00.html?test=latestnews

COMMACK, N.Y. — A 10-year-old suburban New York girl has been suspended for taking peppermint oil to her school and distributing it to other students.
The Commack School District says in a statement on its Web Site the oil "is an unregulated over-the-counter drug."

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since Peppermint oil is used to treat nausea then I'm going to need a whole damned bottle after reading that article.

An illict mind altering chemical drug I can understand... but an on the shelf, over the counter natural remedy ??

Excuse me I'm feeling nausea again.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't get me started on school stupidity.
Kids expelled for making a gun out of their hands and saying bang.
Kids expelled as sex offenders for hugging someone.
Numerous over reactions over very obvious innocent acts.

Then there's that whole you go to school to learn to communicate and they get pissed when you talk, pass notes, text, IM, and email during class. I mean, come one already. :D

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't get me started on school stupidity.
Kids expelled for making a gun out of their hands and saying bang.
Kids expelled as sex offenders for hugging someone.
Numerous over reactions over very obvious innocent acts.

Then there's that whole you go to school to learn to communicate and they get pissed when you talk, pass notes, text, IM, and email during class. I mean, come one already. :D
My fiancee and I talked about homeschooling our kids... at least if they misbehave they're not suspended... just sent to their room to study. They won't have to worry about some dress code or holding their toy guns while watching an educational video or something.
And they for DAMN sure aren't going to be labeled as a sex fiend just becuase they want to hug someone... nor will they worry about being hugged by someone and have that someone labeled as a pedo.

Sigh

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Conservatives in Canada have tried slapping crippling standardization tests on herbal products. My internal medicinal practicioner was almost put out of business because she would prescribe such awful things as digestive enzymes and red raspberry.

Big Pharma folks. It's always Big Pharma.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The time for having children is over. Not until we dump this whole educatiuon system upside down and shake the stupid out.

Andy, you know I adore you but I have to disagree with you here. I know *I *should NOT have kids, I am just not parent material. But I also know of many people who maKe fantastic parents, who's kids are going to change the world for the better. Children are not the problem, it is the apathy of the parents. Period.
A single mom with no viable source of Support should NOT keep having kids. Her Right to reproduce ends with her inability to raise those kids. If she can't support the kids they are put up for addoption. There is NO inccentive to have more. The legal loopholes that allow a man to ride bareback without paying the piper for 18 years should be closed slam-bang. You don't pay, you go to jail. Bye -bye, tent city in the desert. Working on the roads for .20 cents an hour till your support is all payed up. Little Johnny takes a baseball bat to the nighborhood cars windows? Well guess what? That's not a prank, that's $1500 in damages. So much for the family vacation this year. Perhaps Dad should have spent more time teaching Johnny basic respect and values instead of perfecting his short stroke. Parents should be held accountable for thier own behavior and their kids behavior. Apathy should not be rewarded or excused.
Andy, while you may not ever want kids I bet you'd make a Super-Fantabulous father. Je Adore
Lori

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Conservatives in Canada have tried slapping crippling standardization tests on herbal products. My internal medicinal practicioner was almost put out of business because she would prescribe such awful things as digestive enzymes and red raspberry.

Big Pharma folks. It's always Big Pharma.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Some of that stuff should be regulated. It’s as potent, if not more so then much of the pharmaceutical grade stuff you need a doctors prescription for. Just because you say its natural doesn’t mean it’s harmless. Everything is not a conspiracy to support big business.

Matthew McMullen

Green Belt
Reaction score
Peppermint oil you can buy in the grocery store where they sell the baking supplies I have a number of flavored oils that I have used to make various flavored candies. This is beyond stupid.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My fiancee and I talked about homeschooling our kids... at least if they misbehave they're not suspended... just sent to their room to study. They won't have to worry about some dress code or holding their toy guns while watching an educational video or something.
And they for DAMN sure aren't going to be labeled as a sex fiend just becuase they want to hug someone... nor will they worry about being hugged by someone and have that someone labeled as a pedo.

Sigh

To be honest I would have to say that would be in both their(s) & yours best interest, I was homeschooled(Highschool) as well as my siblings and it helped improve concentration I realized "hey there is a time & place to check out girls & fortunately that opportunity didn't portrude itself in the school place" so I could concentrate on Academics, progress at my own pace not the pace of the slowest kid in the student body, I could learn to set my own goals & actually complete them, there are a list of varying programs through certain Academic agencies that derive there education standards to challenge the Students as opposed to pass them along.

There are a lot of benefits to Homeschooling, safe environments, extra care & attention from their parents, ability to hire professionals to educate them further, there are also a list of community fields they can partake in...

Based on my understanding they can play in any sports related field or extra curricular activity that is off hours as well, through whatever School, generally the one that they are residing in the vicinity of.

And then there are Sports related activities or Homeschooling groups just for the Homeschooler.

It's worth checking into...

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The article states she told her friends it should be diluted with water which makes me think she had concentrated peppermint oil.

From a Web site I buy my supplements from:

"Directions: Enjoy the benefits of Holland & Barrett Perfectly Pure Essential Oil for massage, in your bath, or vaporisation. For massage: dilute at a recommended rate of five drops of essential oil to 10ml of carrier oil.

Other Ingredients:This product is pure and contains no added ingredients.

WARNING: For external use only. Do not use neat oils on skin, dilute in a carrier oil. Do not apply to broken or irritated skin. If skin sensitivity occurs, discontinue use. If you suffer from any medical condition, including pregnancy, seek professional advice before use. Keep out of the reach of children. Keep oils away from eyes. May cause irritation to sensitive skin. Flammable"

An overdoes of Peppermint oil can cause some or all of the following (from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002685.htm):

Why situation should be treated as if the child was carrying any type of medicine or illegal drugs? The chance for serious injury was present.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Too much Water can cause all those things, too much NaCl2, too little NaCl2, too much sunshine can cause all those things, too much of Anything can make you shocky ! The most Potent and Toxic compounds on earth are All Natural. Mother Nature is a far far better chemist that Sqibb or Lily

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Too much Water can cause all those things, too much NaCl2, too little NaCl2, too much sunshine can cause all those things, too much of Anything can make you shocky ! The most Potent and Toxic compounds on earth are All Natural. Mother Nature is a far far better chemist that Sqibb or Lily

right... and a 2 oz bottle of water will do that for you.

Latest Discussions