My Student John Having Fun

Ali Rahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is my student “John” of five months working on his focus pad drills dealing with the boxer’s standpoint of the jab and left hook attack. Using the tan sao to stop the jab and the biu sao to stop the hook, and how to crowd space every time, if someone begins to move backwards in their defensive zone.

This is his first martial art, he can only move upwards in his training without bad habits. We will post this clip for now and post another clip, in about 8 more months.

http://www.detroitwingchun.com/john.htm

Ali.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a great clip Ali. You're student looks like he's coming along well for only 5 months training. I'll be interested in seeing the 8 month clip. Thanks for posting.

OP
Ali Rahim

Ali Rahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks a lot.

Man, I just love to take the smallest person, and make him or her the meanness bastard in class, to the point, that sometimes the biggest person seems to coward against their skills, and will to hit back. When I see that, it reminds me how my teacher used too unwind on me, being a small guy that he is.

Ali.

OP
Ali Rahim

Ali Rahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I Love to teach the smaller guy how to stay in the pocket, to deal with a bigger person. Basically teaching the little guy how to beat up the bigger guy.

Ali.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the use of the pads on the lower leg and think I will try one

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Awesome clip Ali,

I have to commend you on teaching!!
Its one thing to be an awesome practitoner, but its a totally different thing to pass on the knowledge gained and transmit it to others.

So Kudos to you!

take care,
Chang

OP
Ali Rahim

Ali Rahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like the use of the pads on the lower leg and think I will try one

Yeah, I kinda went “Fat Albert and the Cosby kids” on yah. I have so much equipment at my disposal every kind of bag gloves that you can mention, bags, pads, and kicking shields of all types, sometimes I never use them the right way at all, just enough to get my point across, on what we are working on that day. Talk about your multi-task.

Mostly those drills are used for hand-eye coordination and crowding space.

Ali.

OP
Ali Rahim

Ali Rahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Awesome clip Ali,

I have to commend you on teaching!!
Its one thing to be an awesome practitoner, but its a totally different thing to pass on the knowledge gained and transmit it to others.

So Kudos to you!

take care,
Chang

This is a true statement and how I truly feel about teaching. When I have a student that is trying to comprehend something that he or she is working on that day. I tell myself that no man or art is better than another, this way I can feel the truth of the saying, “your best teacher is your student”, and cannot sleep well knowing that my student has not jelled in the system. If your sifu or teacher is a technical beast, if you really train hard you can be one also, just put the work in and it will happen.

I thank you so much.

Ali.

Latest Discussions