My Grandfather received his 9th Dan the year I was born, been in my blood since birth.

Drew Ahn-Kim

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My names Drew Ahn-Kim, a Black Belt in Taekwondo under Grandmaster Kyongwon Ahn who happens to be my grandfather. After 3 years living in Cincinnati, training 5 times a day at minimum, receiving my jr. black belt, and winning 2 Ohio State Medals (qualifying for Jr. Olympics), my parents moved us to Japan where Taekwondo was far and few between. I've taken a long journey through trying to adapt to Karate at age 12/13 in Japan, to trying Judo, before moving back to Hawaii and picking up Boxing and eventually studied the Thai and Dutch styles of Kickboxing.

I started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu while at university and it has been my main martial art that I compete in and am passionate about.

However, as the last Ahn, to still actively be a practicing Martial Artist, and due to the several long discussions I've had with my grandfather I've begun to re-introduce Taekwondo into my training on a very serious level. I do not know where this journey will take me, but I wish to be promoted a final time by my grandfather who is not only my master but also my friend, my hero, and a man who has changed the lives on thousands.

Much love to all my brothers and sisters in the Martial Arts.

Oss.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ciao welcome aboard! I am sure your grandfather would be content to know he has inspired you so! Look forward to hearing more about your journey!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
welcome to MT.
Is there any chance you are related to the Grand master Ahn who taught in Texas during the late 1960's and early 1970's?

OP
Drew Ahn-Kim

Drew Ahn-Kim

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There's a chance, do you know his first name?

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Where do you train BJJ in Hawaii? I recently moved to Oahu and started training under Jay Penn at the Waikele UFC gym. About a year and a half ago, when passing through town, I trained with Todd Tanaka of Team HK/Relson Gracie.

OP
Drew Ahn-Kim

Drew Ahn-Kim

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Where do you train BJJ in Hawaii? I recently moved to Oahu and started training under Jay Penn at the Waikele UFC gym. About a year and a half ago, when passing through town, I trained with Todd Tanaka of Team HK/Relson Gracie.

I did a lot of privates at the time, wasn't till I went to Montreal for college when I trained on a serious basis. Do you live in town? I've heard great things bout Relson's as well as Technics, and as I've done a lot of training under an Alliance Black Belt I'm biased towards Alliance Honolulu.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Technics is a Relson affiliate school too. Like half of the schools here are. I actually checked out Alliance but the commute wasn't desirable for me. I'm in the Air Force and live on Hickam. I'm right in the middle from everything so everywhere is a 20+ min drive since I'm not in any of the Oahu cities/communities.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are very fortunate to have such a legacy.
If he is still with you, learn all you can from your grandfather while there is still time. I know he is very proud to know that what you are doing is a direct result of what he began.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm getting all nostalgic reading this thread. I did most of my bjj training in Hawaii, but it was a long time ago. (sigh)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In answer to post 5
Yee Mo Ahn
or Ahn Yee Moo
all I ever knew was he waas Grandmaster Ahn

Latest Discussions