My Goals

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say I couldn't take someone out, I said that a peer in my Judo class would have been taken down.

I use this term because it also transmits a feeling of someone who thinks they could fight would be stripped of that belief.

I apologize if martial arts are about fighting to me. Yes, they can be about simply subduing an opponent, perfectly to the point where they no longer pose a threat. However, I think it's my turn to point out that this is not realistic. It's not in human nature to be subdued and simply walk away. It's human nature to keep fighting someone who's beating you. And this means that most fights will end in someone being "taken down". In fact, this term is even more accurate because fights can often go to ground work rather quickly.

However, it seems that people have already formed conclusions about me based mostly on poor communication and misunderstandings. Because of this, I won't be likely to get help, because people will be too busy trying to correct things I personally don't see as a problem. So I suggest we let the thread simply die.

Acutally you have been given a great deal of help here and simply haven't see it because of your preconceived ideas not ours. Respected and experienced martial artists have answered your posts with understanding and very good advice. if you don't wish to take the advice that's up to you but please don't blame them for your apparent inability to understand what is said here.
My club is a 'fighting' club, most of us are either military,door staff, close protection officers or police officers. We also fight as a hobby, we do TMAs as well though. There is in the British forces at least, no emphasis at all on hitting people about the head, as you've been told the emphasis is on weapons, if you have to fight unarmed in a war zone you are in big, big trouble.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say I couldn't take someone out, I said that a peer in my Judo class would have been taken down.

I use this term because it also transmits a feeling of someone who thinks they could fight would be stripped of that belief.

I apologize if martial arts are about fighting to me. Yes, they can be about simply subduing an opponent, perfectly to the point where they no longer pose a threat. However, I think it's my turn to point out that this is not realistic. It's not in human nature to be subdued and simply walk away. It's human nature to keep fighting someone who's beating you. And this means that most fights will end in someone being "taken down". In fact, this term is even more accurate because fights can often go to ground work rather quickly.

However, it seems that people have already formed conclusions about me based mostly on poor communication and misunderstandings. Because of this, I won't be likely to get help, because people will be too busy trying to correct things I personally don't see as a problem. So I suggest we let the thread simply die.
Let me make it clear; my training in martial arts is about fighting to me. In fact, my training is about the real world. It's what I deal with; I'm a working cop. I know what it's like to hit and be hit for real, and to have someone doing everything they can to get away. I've been lucky (and I credit a fair amount of that luck to my training which has let me pick up on **** before it happens) and I haven't been hit too many times at work.

I've also boxed, kickboxed, and wrestled, too.

Let's talk about "most fights go to the ground." Bull excrement. The correct statement is that "most times when the police fight someone, they try to take the person to the ground." There are specific reasons why we do that, and they're driven by the fact that we are not trying to simply stop or subdue the person -- but to take them into custody. By taking them to the ground, especially face down, the ability to resist and fight back is vastly reduced. Our control of the person is greatly magnified.

I'm just going to say this again: A one hit empty hand knockout is very rare in the real world. They simply aren't as easy to do as people think. For reasons on both sides of the fight. There are nerve points that can be very effective, under the right circumstances. But there's a whole lot that's got to go right for that to happen. I'd suggest you research the effects of the hormonal cocktail that goes with a real attack.

Chris Parker has strongly urged you to find a real instructor; so do I. And I'll leave you with a dog eared parable, too. A young man went to a martial arts master, seeking to train with him. They sat down for tea, and the young man began to extol what he'd done and what he already knew, trying to prove his worth to the master. As the young man spoke, the master poured tea, pouring more and more into the cup until the cup overflowed. When the lad asked the master why he didn't stop, the master replied "You cannot learn until you empty your cup."

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
jks,

You have recommended Rory Miller's Meditations on Violence a few times and he is in your sig.

I just want to say that I read it 4 months ago (and have reread it more than I can count) and was really impressed with it.

He comes from a similar MA as myself, a traditional Jujutsu and applies it with life outside the Dojo.

It joins A Bouncer's Guide to Self Defense and Cheap Shots, Ambushes and Sucker punchers as my must read advise to my students on the subject of civillian combat in western society.

Like the above text, I did not agree 100% with Miller (and as you know Miller would encourage that) but it spoke to things I have been involved with or seen and alot that explained it from a better angle or word choice than I would.

I really liked that he explained what true Kata is about and about the flaws in any training drill. I too am an advocate of doing alot of slow training, along with Waza and different types of sparring, immeidiate action drils and scenario drills.

Shugyo!

p.s. Maybe we should go over to the SD forum and give our reveiws of this book?

Dylan

Latest Discussions