Muay Thai Training Camps in Thailand, recommendations and thoughts

Scrum_bag

White Belt
Reaction score
I spent a month at Tiger Muay Thai last fall, i can tell you it was definetly worth the money and i really enjoyed myself, not to mention my technique was about 1000% better when i got home. All my sparing partners at my home gym were taken aback by how much i managed to progress during just the one month i spent there.
The trainers were all cool people, and were always happy to work with you on whatever you wanted to learn, and the other students were mostly english speaking europeans/aussies/americans so there was a great atmosphere in the camp. Phuket is a killer place to hang out for a month too, lots of fun stuff to do when you arent training.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a bit of a bump on this one. I'd be interested in getting feedback on this camp.

On fairtex: I've never heard a good word about them (compared to more traditional camps) before now. What I have heard is that they are aimed at making westerners feel good about themselves instead of training them to fight properly. My trainer spent 3 weeks training in Thailand. He intended spending 1 week at Fairtex, but left it after 2 days.

edit: For clarity....I have no doubt that you'd get a good workout at any of the fairtex gyms, but I also have no doubt that you'll be better able to fight (as a westerner) if you train elsewhere. For confirmation of this, you need only look at the "human weapon" show which featured it.

I'm going to reply on this one as the thread has been revived and I want to correct something said here. There are two Fairtex camps, one which is holiday one which many westerners go to and there's the one where they train their own fighters, these fighters and trainers are Thai, this is also where our fighters train.

Jarrod G.

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Call me biased..as I have only ever trained at one camp in Thailand, but the camp on Koh Samui under the WMC banner is a top notch gym. They train both tourists and fighters and usually have about 6 or 7 very experienced and knowledgable trainers on hand during each session (morning and evening) They can cater to all levels from complete newbies to seasoned professionals.

Hoever, all this can be found at many gyms in Thailand it seems. When I found this gym I had been looking at many different gyms, and finally decided on this one, not because of the WMC banner, or the high quality trainers (although that was a contributing factor) but because it is situated on an island away from big city life. Most of the good gyms that I found were either located in Bangkok or Phuket, both of which are far too hectic for the experience I was looking for. Koh Samui is a nice little island, and the camp is located in a quiter part called Lamai beach. Justa 5-10 minute drive is the (slightly) bigger town of Chaweng which has 2 muay thai stadiums and a huge nightlife. Personally I have avoided Chaweng for the most part, except to go see people from the gym fight. The lifestyle offered on Koh Samui is very relaxed copmpared to the big cities...

just something to keep in mind when you are picking a camp.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
You guys saw "Dhani tackles The Globe" on Monday? He trained and then had a fight out of a gym in Thailand and he won. Pretty good for someone who only had a week training.

Oh, and that girlboy thing creeps me the heck out. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me biased..as I have only ever trained at one camp in Thailand, but the camp on Koh Samui under the WMC banner is a top notch gym. They train both tourists and fighters and usually have about 6 or 7 very experienced and knowledgable trainers on hand during each session (morning and evening) They can cater to all levels from complete newbies to seasoned professionals.

Hoever, all this can be found at many gyms in Thailand it seems. When I found this gym I had been looking at many different gyms, and finally decided on this one, not because of the WMC banner, or the high quality trainers (although that was a contributing factor) but because it is situated on an island away from big city life. Most of the good gyms that I found were either located in Bangkok or Phuket, both of which are far too hectic for the experience I was looking for. Koh Samui is a nice little island, and the camp is located in a quiter part called Lamai beach. Justa 5-10 minute drive is the (slightly) bigger town of Chaweng which has 2 muay thai stadiums and a huge nightlife. Personally I have avoided Chaweng for the most part, except to go see people from the gym fight. The lifestyle offered on Koh Samui is very relaxed copmpared to the big cities...

just something to keep in mind when you are picking a camp.

Hi biased lol! well you said...lol!
Our lot are going out in September again to Fairtex in Bangplee not the resort one. They will work very hard bless em. the first time one of ours went out he was only 17 and naive, he made the mistake of chatting to one of the girls who works at Fairtex in the shop and said casually that if shes ever in England they could meet up ( as you do anywhere else but Thailand lol) next thing she's written him a note saying 'maybe they get married' lol! the men/women thing scared him too! However when he came back and told us all about it he was a real man of the world, if our instructor hadn't been there with him though we'd have never known!

Reaction score
For all martial artists, MMA and especially the dedicated Muay Thai fighters around the world, all can respect training Muay Thai in Thailand. With over 20 years martial arts experience and several black belts in various arts, I have a passion for martial arts to say the least. I just returned back from 2 months in Thailand to train Muay Thai from the heart of it all. No translated versions, no BS, just authentic muay thai training in Thailand. I searched the top 8 gyms for Muay Thai training before carefully choosing the right gym to start with. I finally went with Dragon Muay Thai in Phuket. They are great and you get to train with true champions of the sport. They are smaller in comparison to a neighboring gym which is part of why I chose them. Dragon Muay Thai is geared more for the serious fighter and not like a commercialized adult summer camp like the other gyms do. Each student receives personal attention from the trainers, 1 on 1 training from the top champions of Thailand – Awesome! With this type of focus you get one hell of a workout! (get ice for after though! lol)
If you’re training now in Muay Thai or you have had an interest before, or you’re just going to be visiting Thailand and want to try it out – check out the best Muay Thai Training Thailand has to offer.

source: http://www.myxeropoint.com/blog

grado

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi there, im from London and have dabbeled in a few martial arts judo, aikido, and am currently doing aiki-jujitsu, of which i am a beginner on all.

Since taking up aiki jujitsu recently though ive really got into the whole martial arts thing, after browsing around i saw these Muay Thai traing camps and though I HAVE TO DO THIS. It is the perfect opportunity as i will be leaving uni and before i start a career i can take time to go to a camp full time.

I have never done muay thai before, but going to a camp to do say 6mth intensive training seems hard work but im guessing one would develop the skills very quickly is this true?

Lastly I wanted recommedations of any camps i have read posts about Fairtex but it seems a little bit mainstream and was wondering whether some of the smaller camps might be better? There seems to be lots in Phuket and they all seem good some even offer MMA as well as Muay thai thoughts on that as well please.

thanks

I saw a people write a blog to say he likes the scorpion muay thai camp in Bangkok, and he also come from England. He likes the center because the muay thai camp is very relax, he can come to the place to join the class at any time you want.
I am not sure for you or not, because I just saw his blog and feel very interesting about his review. I think you can search find his blog on blogsearch.google.com.

thailand

White Belt
Reaction score
Everyone can learn real muay thai at Suwit Muay Thai camp as Thai fighters .

suwit muay thai training camp & gym
Address : 15 moo1 , chaofa road , tumbon chalong muang, phuket 83130
http://www.muaythai-thailand.com

If you have time , you can visit to try by yourslef .
It is a real muay thai camp , we can train every levels .

Latest Discussions