Upcoming IKF Tournament

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Any of you fellow muay thai guys planning on entering the amateur IKF competition this August in Chicago? If so, what weight class?

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Im not, but they have some IKF tournaments down south,I was thinking about going to a few but my trainer is not really up for it.I think I am going to fight my debute fight with my gym and then go do fights on my own as well.By the way,if you go and fight on your own without your coach how does that work?Do you get another gym to sponser you are do you just not have a coach.How does that work?

Hannya

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thai are you from Chicago? If so what gym do you train at? I'll be doing the IKF probably in the light heavyweight division. Gonna be my first MT fight looking foward to it.

OP
T

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Slihn I'm not quite sure how that works. You may want to contact the IKF and ask them if you need a gym sponsor. To answer your question Hannya, I'm not in the Chicago area, It just is a tournament that caught my interest. I won't be entering this tournament due to upcoming surgery. Actually, I haven't fought since 1997, I have just been training and teaching. I miss the ring, but I don't know if or when I'll fight again. Good luck to all you guys who have upcoming fights.

OP
T

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Slihn, I looked at the IKF website at their registration page and it looks like you could enter on your own without a gym sponsor. The only thing is you need a cornerman and cutman and your registration fee. Now this depends on if I read this right.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
hmm... I briefly proof read over the site. How is the structure for this set up? Do they not have prelims and regionals before the main event? Browsing the site, I didn't see any mention of it. At any rate, it looks interesting! :asian:

I understand the no elbows to the head/neck for amateur fighting, but knees to the head should be allowed. And whats with the "no sweeping" in the clinch?

OP
T

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah the IKF has a few too many rules compared to amatuer muay thai in Thailand where you use all weapons. I think this tournament has all prelimanary fights on the first night. Winners move on. I'm guessing on this matter since it is a three day event.

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hmm.... ok. Is this over a weekend? And is there a list on how has entered thus far? I'd be interested in seeing the roster. This is all I could really find in reference to the event.

WCBanner07.jpg

OP
T

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The tournament is on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The IKF website didn't have much info on it the last time I looked at their website. They will probably post more info in the coming months.

kickboxin

White Belt
Reaction score
I am looking for a try at amateur muay thai too. I might do the tournament. I am at light heavyweight now, but would like to drop a weight class first.

Latest Discussions