Muay-Thai..is best Martial Arts????

avadakedaf

White Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai consisted of an arsenal of nine weapons - the head, fists, elbows, knees and feet - known collectively as na-wa arwud. Although in modern Muay Thai, both amateur and professional, headbutting an opponent is no longer allowed. Muay Thai is unique in the way it uses all parts of the body, including the elbows and knees, for both training and competitions

http://muaythaiknow.blogspot.com/

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed on all points but there maybe a few out there that will disagree about MT being hands down the "best" art. This is a debate that has been carried on for ages and will go on long after the youngest members here have had great grandchildren. What maybe "best" for you may not be for someone else.

USP45CT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well in terms of something like mma i'd say yes in terms of striking. A good amount of the moves taught are legal in competition and this is not always true of other martial arts. In terms of sheer self defense i'd say no. I would probably say something like krav maga(spelling?) would probably be a bit more practical. Problem is that there is more to MMA than just striking and muay thai doesnt excel on the ground at all. So overall, no it's not the best martial art they are all great it just really depends on what you want out of them.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because trachea shots and eye gouging aren't taught in muay thai

Is it possible that the training "you" have in Muay Thai hasn't had that? If so then that is a true statement for "you". That would not be the case with the Muay Thai training I have done.

Danny

no_kata

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is it possible that the training "you" have in Muay Thai hasn't had that? If so then that is a true statement for "you". That would not be the case with the Muay Thai training I have done.

Danny

That's a possibility.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Muay Thai consisted of an arsenal of nine weapons - the head, fists, elbows, knees and feet - known collectively as na-wa arwud. Although in modern Muay Thai, both amateur and professional, headbutting an opponent is no longer allowed. Muay Thai is unique in the way it uses all parts of the body, including the elbows and knees, for both training and competitions

http://muaythaiknow.blogspot.com/

Just as a note so does the Military version of Sanda (Sanshou) and there is a common saying in Chinese Martial Arts that pretty much refers to the body as a fist.

Now with that said Muay Thai is pretty Damned impressive in my opinion but not the only one to use all parts of the body to fight with

onibaku

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
different arts, different opinions so not everyone will agree that its the best

Alghiwi

White Belt
Reaction score
Every Martial art has his potential of being the best, but not every Fighter use that potential.

It's you who make the perfect Martial Arts not the other way around....

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
If all the MUAY THAI fighters could fight like the dude in ONG BAK then yeah i'd say it would be one of the "best martial arts" LOL he's bad ***..

silat

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If all the MUAY THAI fighters could fight like the dude in ONG BAK then yeah i'd say it would be one of the "best martial arts" LOL he's bad ***..
Tony Jaa does Muay Boran which is the original Combat Style that was watered down to create the sport style of Muay Thai.

Sincerely,
Teacher: Eddie Ivester

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

true that.

but it's kindof like saying, aerobics is the most healthy exercise.

i think it depends more on the people in question rather than the art.

j

darthcual

White Belt
Reaction score
Our training in Muay Thai is based for ring fighting. That being said, we could use it to defend, however, its probably not the best self defense out there. The ring is where we do our fighting, and, in that ring their are rules. Eye gouging, attacking the groin, scratching and biting, are not allowed. On the 'street' this may be exactly what you need to protect yourself.

Diesel Noi

White Belt
Reaction score
A would agree that it has everything to do with the fighter not the ma, but I just found out that on Malasya, a bunch of MA Boran students opened a new school, in wich they teach all the old forms of MA Boran, including Korat, Loumburee, Thao Sao, Chaiya, all the grappling tricks they do PLUS BBJJ moves, some of the Saholin Kung Fu such as being able to control the pain like a kick in the nuts and the neck areas, I believe it will become the best ever.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The founder/head instructor of my original muay thai gym was a student of muay thai chaiya under Kru Preang at the Muay Chaiya Foundation when he first started training in muay thai. He stills goes back and trains with Kru Preang. Then he started training in ring sport version of muay thai later. Both systems were taught at that gym. So, we have training in standing, grappling, eye gouging, throat strikes, joint strikes, etc. along with the ring version of muay thai. In terms of muay thai being the best martial art, for me, YES! Not for everyone. I think the best martial art is the one you give 100% to training in. Be like a sponge, absorb all you can. Make sure you have great instructor.

Diesel Noi

White Belt
Reaction score
It would be the best if they teach us grappling movements, which by the way r taught in muay boran, specially chaiya and korat. I really like Kali, it is the only one in which they teach u first how to use weapons and afterwards hand to hand fight.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Because trachea shots and eye gouging aren't taught in muay thai

Sorry...so with out trachea shots and eye gouging you cant defend yourself??

I dont believe that to be true for a second.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It would be the best if they teach us grappling movements, which by the way r taught in muay boran, specially chaiya and korat. I really like Kali, it is the only one in which they teach u first how to use weapons and afterwards hand to hand fight.

Clinch work can be described as grappling.
It is also a very effective way of controlling an attack through grappling while not having to go to ground.

Latest Discussions