Mr. Calkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nin

White Belt
Reaction score
I was just looking and saw the name. It must be someone else though. I have worked with this guy a couple of times and he isn't like that. I found the guy I know knew what he was talking about most of the time and he didn't move fast but he hit like a rock and could take care of business. He has worked with a few of my instructors at a seminar in Rochester held every October. They all seem to like the guy I know.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
NIN: Go here: http://www.goldendragondojo.com/instructors.html The guy at the top incorrectly claiming to be a "Soke" is the guy we are talking about.
In case he removes his pic, here it is.

Looks like Bruce has now expanded. His Staff. Look at the high quality instructors he has teaching with him.
http://www.goldendragondojo.com/instructors.html

Going down the list: Bob Koch
- American Self Defense was a joke. A definate McDojo.
- What is " Zeth's Kenpo / Jujitsu "? Maybe this answers that: http://internationalkenpo.com/staff/sifu_zeth.htm From what I could find out, he created his own "Kung Fu" style. At least he didn't buy a sokeship.
- The "3rd Rank Advanced Practitioner - Wing Chun - Kung-Fu" is in an add-on course taught by Zeth. Much of his stuff seems to be bastardized jkd/wing chun blended with Chi tricks.
Kochs got a solid student base though, and according to Kaith is an eternal student.

LamaMan - Is I believe Calkins Pastor, and believed to be a chi-trick con artist. He's as much a monk as I am a Psi-Cop.

Hutch - He studied 5 legit arts. What ranks, under who, how long? Heck, Lets put my resume up. I can include wing chun as I was at a seminar once right? Learned a punch and a kick. Guy has a small school, does some acting. Has some legitimate skill, however does it "his way", which will annoy the traditionalists.

Attachments

• $Soke_Calkins.jpg
    $Soke_Calkins.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 319

Nin

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to have to back out of this. This is the guy that I know and IMO you guys have made a mistake. I have worked with him and so have my instructors and they have him back as often as he likes. I never had a problem with him and he treats all of us real good. I guess I'll just back out of this post.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
enough is enough. i thought the forum admin made that clear already...?

if unknowing students do happen to find themselves gazing upon this, or any other Calkins thread, they should have no doubt at all what the fuss was about. if they can't surmise already what kind of person Bruce Calkins is, with the information already posted, they got issues.

what more could anyone possibly say about this whole mess. i vote for a thread lock. :idunno:

let's move on to more "productive" martial arts discussion, shall we...?

:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bester said:
American Self Defense was a joke.
I'll back this up. That's where I started, on Union Rd. in Cheektowaga, when I was 14 years old. It was modified Kenpo. What they taught was...ridiculous.

The "slap punch" was their preferred technique: Slap the person in the nose with your left hand before punching them with your right, so they can't see the punch coming. But if you could slap them in the first place...why not just hit them and be done with it?

I left after 6 months (the length of my contract). I've never signed a martial arts contract of that length since.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Nin said:
I'm going to have to back out of this. This is the guy that I know and IMO you guys have made a mistake. I have worked with him and so have my instructors and they have him back as often as he likes. I never had a problem with him and he treats all of us real good. I guess I'll just back out of this post.
If after reading everything here, you still think he's legit, I feel sorry for you.

Then again, you signed up moments after Mr. Calkins was removed from this site, and your first post was in here. Rather strange.

I wonder what a check with your ISP would show?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nin said:
This is the guy that I know and IMO you guys have made a mistake. I have worked with him and so have my instructors and they have him back as often as he likes.
Would they state that in public, attaching their names to it? That's the test.

He may be very skilled. We can't tell that from here. But, he did exaggerate his background and awards.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bester said:
If after reading everything here, you still think he's legit, I feel sorry for you.
He says he knows him and has worked with him. You say you've made some phone calls. If you're both telling the truth, he's in a better position to know what the truth is--and he's making better use of his free time.

Yet, I agree with the observation that the timing and location of his first post here is quite suspicious, so I suspect that, basically, you're right. :(

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
. His entire history is nothing other than tissue. His entire experience in the martial arts is one lie after another.

This reminds me of my thoughts on belts that look old but are not thread.

"I think faking the appearance of hard work sounds like a mental stepping stone to worse similar self-deceptions."

See kids? It starts by bleaching your belt, it ends up with you fabricating an MS-Paint certificate that calls you 90th Degree Grandmaster Funk in kung-arate. Sheesh, all this just to finance a super trike.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
yep, now I feel like an idiot for giving a person whose first post was odd. a few posts later and I was wrong. D'oh. I take it back arnisador.

I guess its that whole naive thing. I'm sure someone'll kick it out of me...

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Samantha said:
yep, now I feel like an idiot for giving a person whose first post was odd. a few posts later and I was wrong. D'oh. I take it back arnisador.

I guess its that whole naive thing. I'm sure someone'll kick it out of me...

Don't worry about it. Due to the fact that I live in Japan I tend to get called in whenever another ninja- wannabe claims to be from there. As such, I have seen some pretty loathsome frauds and can recognize a lot of the tactics and stories they use. You just do not have the lousy experiences some of us have had with egomaniacal incompetents like Bruce.

Bester had the right idea. As soon as someone signs on right after a member gets removed and goes straight to the thread about him to praise him, Bester calls on him to give the names of the teachers and such that supposably hang out with Bruce. Enough has occured to raise our suspicion that you may now notice that NIN has had his account suspended until he contacts a moderator.

I am not going to say how Bruce fouled up, that would let him learn from his mistake. But aside from actually catching him at the keyboard as he is posting on martialtalk I am about as certain as I can be that NIN is Bruce showing the world just how low he would stoop.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well here is my two cents worth, Mr Calkins has a terrible problem with time and place he also invented his own style, he learned a few palor tricks, that any novice magician can do. I'm not on his side and I believe he should be removed from this site like MA has done but here is my point he has found a niche in life that brings him income I personally feel sorry for his s tudents if they believe they are getting the best possible training. This is America where every living soul has the right to fleece the people if they choose to and until laws are put into place to stop the so called Fauds they can do what they like to whoever they like. We as a society of Teacher of the Arts should have some way to help stop the fleecing of said students, I know school teacher have to have a background check evry couple of year why can't we do the same thing in MA, a data base should be made up of all these so called frauds so people could be aware of them, maybe Martial talks could start one up in another section so people would know who they are, then again it maybe illegal to do that. Just my 2 cents worth.

Terry Lee Stoker

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
a data base should be made up of all these so called frauds so people could be aware of them, maybe Martial talks could start one up in another section so people would know who they are, then again it maybe illegal to do that. Just my 2 cents worth.
Good thought. However as much as we love to try and idiot proof everything, the question of genuine article or fraud is seldom black and white.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"I am not going to say how Bruce fouled up, that would let him learn from his mistake. But aside from actually catching him at the keyboard as he is posting on martialtalk I am about as certain as I can be that NIN is Bruce showing the world just how low he would stoop."

Dude
That would be low, really slimy and twisted

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bester said:

Then again, you signed up moments after Mr. Calkins was removed from this site, and your first post was in here. Rather strange.

I wonder what a check with your ISP would show?
Ahhh...your just being paranoid now.
icon10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions