Moving too fast?

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As stated under the "I just passed my gold sash" thread, I was wondering if I am progressing too fast. I do have a bb and a purple in a previous system. I am almost done with orange sash curriculum. I just need to learn 6 sets of what we call 3-Directionals and I will fulfill my requirements. So, is this normal? Is this expected out of me since I have ranking in previous arts?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think everyone's experiences are different, based on personal capabilities, past experience, and attitude of the instructor.

Maybe for some it is too fast, for others it is not. Without actually being there to witness what is happening, I dont think much more could be said.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, is this normal? Is this expected out of me since I have ranking in previous arts?

Flying Crane is right that everyone's situation is different, and we're not there. But having attained some level of accomplishment in another art certainly will influence your study of this one, IMHO.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So, is this normal? Is this expected out of me since I have ranking in previous arts?

Normal for the styles I train is you train and train and train for years and years and years and you never ever get a belt or a sash… unless of course you buy one... and then your sifu will only laugh at you... so why bother :uhyeah:

Flying Crane & kidswarrior put it quite well.

Normal for you may not be normal for the next guy.

Are you happy with your progress? Is your sifu happy with your progress? If yes then I guess for you its normal.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The others, especially XS, pretty much nailed it on the head. You're on your own path, so the question is do YOU feel that you're moving too fast, or are not getting the full benefit of your art? If the answer is yes, then it's something to take up with your sifu. You may find that he's quite pleased with your pace.

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you happy with your progress? Is your sifu happy with your progress? If yes then I guess for you its normal.

Oh yeah, I am happy with the way I am going and sifu said that this would happen at the beginning. Most of the material at the beginning is pretty much stuff that I already know. So, after discussing this with him this evening, he told me to keep on doing with what I am doing. He loved my form when I was testing. My strikes were strong and crisp he said. So, I feel that he thinks I am where I should be.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As stated under the "I just passed my gold sash" thread, I was wondering if I am progressing too fast. I do have a bb and a purple in a previous system. I am almost done with orange sash curriculum. I just need to learn 6 sets of what we call 3-Directionals and I will fulfill my requirements. So, is this normal? Is this expected out of me since I have ranking in previous arts?
you already answered yourself you already have a bb

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I am happy with the way I am going and sifu said that this would happen at the beginning. Most of the material at the beginning is pretty much stuff that I already know. So, after discussing this with him this evening, he told me to keep on doing with what I am doing. He loved my form when I was testing. My strikes were strong and crisp he said. So, I feel that he thinks I am where I should be.
do you feel other people have learned something you havent? or do you think you're up to speed in everything?
there are certain things where moving up fast is not a good idea like sensetivity. but i dont think you're moving too fast to miss out on that yet

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Problem solved, you’re not Moving too fast

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I don't know what you were studying before, nor do I know much about NPM, but this makes sense, especially at the beginning. Some styles have very similar, if not identical techniques that simply go by a different term. NPM and your prior art may have similarities in the way you move so it's easy for you to adapt to this art as a new student that it may be for someone who trained in a very different style. Like going from one hard, linear style to a different hard linear style, vs. going from a hard, linear style to a soft, circular style. Does that make sense? :D heh

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know what you were studying before, nor do I know much about NPM, but this makes sense, especially at the beginning. Some styles have very similar, if not identical techniques that simply go by a different term. NPM and your prior art may have similarities in the way you move so it's easy for you to adapt to this art as a new student that it may be for someone who trained in a very different style. Like going from one hard, linear style to a different hard linear style, vs. going from a hard, linear style to a soft, circular style. Does that make sense? heh

I have trained in kajukenbo and american kenpo. Sifu came from a Shaolin Kenpo background so, a lot of the material looked the same as I learned in kenpo.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen some styles move you right along at a faster pace than what another style would- at first, and that was usually within your first few belts. On the other hand, if you feel like your learning experience is up to par or better, don't worry about progressing too fast. I also agree with what the other posters before me has said.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have trained in kajukenbo and american kenpo. Sifu came from a Shaolin Kenpo background so, a lot of the material looked the same as I learned in kenpo.

Well, there you go. Lots of commonality. And that's probably a good thing.

larry

White Belt
Reaction score
sounds like once you learn the 6 sets of the three directionals proficiently, then you will have completed that level in your style.

Latest Discussions