Mouthguard Usage

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
During our classes, I notice that some people wear mouthguards and some don't. Our instructors recommend them but do not require them.

I have seen teeth broken and have broken them myself (not my own:)). Personally I won't step into the ring without one. A lot of the people at our Dojang prefer not to wear the mouth guard.

Do you wear one or not?
Are they required at your school?

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wear mine most of the time, but, admittedly, I hate wearing the thing. I am not in the best shape already, and sucking wind through one of those things is terrible.

Seriously, though, I don't like to wear them, but I know the risk I run if I don't wear one. Given that it's only about 20 or so minutes of sparring vs. ?,000's of dollars to have teeth fixed, I'll live with the discomfort.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
During regular class, just running through techniques, no, I don't wear one, and I haven't seen anyone else wear one either. I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea though, because despite keeping my mouth closed, I've still taken a hit here and there.

During sparring....yes, and IMO, anyone who doesn't wear one is foolish not to.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mouthguards are required for everyone except the kids, we use them when sparring. Didn`t like using it at first but now I hardly notice it.

rhn_kenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A mouthguard was the first piece of safety equipment I purchased after I started training. If I'm on the mat, it is in my mouth. Where I train, I'm one of the few students that wear one, which I find bizarre. A $2 piece of safety equipment that can prevent serious injury to the teeth and jaw, and is quite easy/comfortable to wear. What is the downside?

I've caught numerous accidental elbows to the chin during training, and given a few myself. MA training is a rough activity and mistakes happen. If it were my studio, it would be required for all students.

R

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our school strongly suggests the use of mouthguards at various times, usually during sparring. I absolutely hate the boil 'n' bite mouthguard I bought, it doesn't fit well and it's a constant pain to keep in.

So, after asking around a bit, I found out about a custom fit mouthguard brand that was being highly recommended. Found a dentist that carried that brand and is willing to fit me; I will have to wait two weeks for an appointment and the mouthguard will take a week or two. So I will only have to endure the boil n bite for 3-4 more weeks.

http://www.glidewell-lab.com/pdf/brochures_patient/playsafe_bro.pdf

Check it out, they'll put your name inside, how cool is that!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mouthguards not only protect your teeth and jaw, but make you less susceptible to being knocked out.

Sparring without one is, in my opinion, downright foolish.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Always when sparring or grappling. Not an option in my opinion.

Peace,
Erik

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I absolutely require one for all my students. Some companies that insure MA schools require them in order for the school to be covered.

I would highly reccommend having your dentist custom make a mouth piece for you. They are much more expensive ($75-$200, depending on the dentist) but the fit (hence the protection) is much better. One new tooth would cost more than $200, anyway.

F

foggymorning162

We are required to wear one. My son can't he has a very quick gag reflex so I got him head gear with a face cage although I would recommend wearing a mouth guard even with that because you can still get kicked in the chin and have your mouth snap shut. I'm waiting for him to get all his adult teeth before I have him fitted at the dentist... can't very well custom mold one when they have a constantly changing mouth. I hope he'll be able to wear it without throwing up though.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mouthguards are cheap - even the custom ones - compared to extensive dental work and teeth don't grow back. Also, as others have said, they help protect against injury to the jaw, neck, and brain - and brain injuries can also be forever. Why risk it?

For those who don't want to buy a custom mouthguard - I really like my Shock Doctor; it was about $15, and worth it - it fits much better than the the $2 boil-n-bite type I wore for 20 years before that.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rather than repeat everything, check Mouthguards, a previous discussion here on MT. Another. Somewhere that I couldn't find quickly was a very good discussion about how they factor in preventing concussion.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Wear a mouthpiece! This is what happens when you only wear a single, and you get kicked in the jaw with a sidekick, dang near drove my teeth through my lower lip. Now I wear a double. I can only imagine what would have happened had I not had any mouthpiece.

Attachments

• $cut lip.JPG
    $cut lip.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 141
OP
H

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Blindside....

Nice pic, thanx for sharing.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
During training no, this is a time of learning and interaction with your partner, during sparring yes, this is the time to learn foundational fighting habits such as setting your jaw. Loose jaws break easier.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you compete or fight it's worth using the gum shield during all training to get used to having there and it becomes almost part of you ( same as groin guard). An actual fight or competitive bout is not the time to start wearing it for the first time lol!

Latest Discussions