Most Common Attacks

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Recently came across a list of the three most common attacks in an assault (as opposed to a fight). Curious what others think of this list:

1. Aggressive right hand (punch, push, grab attempt, armed)
2. One or two hand choke.
3. Grab from behind (unspecified).

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Recently came across a list of the three most common attacks in an assault (as opposed to a fight). Curious what others think of this list:

That's not a bad list. These are the attacks I have encountered most often, usually with some foul drunken breathe thrown in. They are the attacks of the untrained aggressor.

RBaddorf

Green Belt
Reaction score
From what have got talking to many law enforcement types, and women. In the cases of women being attacked, the are most often grabbed by the upper arm. This is a control/domination attempt.

OP
B

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what have got talking to many law enforcement types, and women. In the cases of women being attacked, the are most often grabbed by the upper arm. This is a control/domination attempt.

Is this in a stranger assault, or domestic abuse? I should have clarified that the list I found seems to be stranger assault.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score

I agree with the list and would add that a grab is usually followed up by the attempted punch to the head.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a good summary in Bill Burgar's Five Years, One Kata of the most common assault initiations involving an untrained attacker. From what I recall, this list matches up well with his. The main work on this that I know of from an MA perspective is by Patrick McCarthy on `habitual acts of violence' (HAOV)... will have to check out the list again when I get home.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The most common type of street attacks are,
1) Your assailant will know that the attack will occur and you will not know or are unsure,
2) The attack will be on a "greater than" your defense level compaired to being on an "equal to" or "less than" your defense level,
3) Your assailant has chosen an attack territory that is comfortable for him and not so for you.

It matters not what individual type of technique that an assailant will use, it is more important to know the technique of approach and attack that they will employ.
Stay street safe and street smart.
:knight:

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure about the states but here in England the headbutt is definatly at least second on that list after right hand.

especially since squaring up usually happens first.

RBaddorf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is this in a stranger assault, or domestic abuse? I should have clarified that the list I found seems to be stranger assault.

Both. The stranger grabbing is often in parking lots or bars, often to try to force the female to go somewhere else with them. Going somewhere else is always a bad idea for the female.

Latest Discussions