More revelations on Church cover up

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BBC is reporting Pope Benedict played a more direct role than some folks thought. While this disgusts me, it doesn't entirely surprise me. I don't think Cardinal Law was the only cardinal that shuffled the paedophiles around.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8612457.stm

OP
Ramirez

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
BBC is reporting Pope Benedict played a more direct role than some folks thought. While this disgusts me, it doesn't entirely surprise me. I don't think Cardinal Law was the only cardinal that shuffled the paedophiles around.

I have to wonder about what flawed process allows men of such poor judgement that when they find about about a pedophile in their midst, their concern isn't for the victims, or making sure the perpertrator is defrocked and turned over to secular authorities so he can do no more harm but for the reputation of the church can attain such high office.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have to wonder about what flawed process allows men of such poor judgement that when they find about about a pedophile in their midst, their concern isn't for the victims, or making sure the perpertrator is defrocked and turned over to secular authorities so he can do no more harm but for the reputation of the church can attain such high office.

Sadly i think it has always been common place, and therefore normal operating procedures. Its only been in the last few decades that the power of the church has diminished enough people are no longer scared to come forward and speak about it all.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I wonder about this too, and then I realize its not just within the Church. Similar coverups exist in Politics, and even in the Corporate world. I think people are worried about their Bottom line and poor publicity.

Its sad, really.

OP
Ramirez

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder about this too, and then I realize its not just within the Church. Similar coverups exist in Politics, and even in the Corporate world. I think people are worried about their Bottom line and poor publicity.

Its sad, really.

True, but we expect the Church whose mandate isn't a bottom line but the morality and spirituality of it's followers to be held to a higher standard.

I expect moral relativism on Wall Street and politics, not in the Church.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

yeah just read in paper today of a letter in latin that had cardinal ratzinger's name on it it was written in latin back in the 1980's before he became pope and he was involved in trying to cover up stuff.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sadly i think it has always been common place, and therefore normal operating procedures. Its only been in the last few decades that the power of the church has diminished enough people are no longer scared to come forward and speak about it all.

Not to excuse Pope Benedict's role in all of this, but I see this very much as the behaviour of Old Boys networks. Here in Ontario we've had similar scandals covered up in boys hockey. I can think of a couple of incidents in non-Catholic private schools where sex abuse has been kept out of the public eye.

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not to excuse Pope Benedict's role in all of this, but I see this very much as the behaviour of Old Boys networks. Here in Ontario we've had similar scandals covered up in boys hockey. I can think of a couple of incidents in non-Catholic private schools where sex abuse has been kept out of the public eye.

Tack in the Indian Residential School system - only about 100 years of physical and sexual abuse of children, known full well by many of the parties involved (churches and government)

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Like every other corrupt institution, the church cares more about it's self interests than doing what's right.

This isn't surprising at all.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tack in the Indian Residential School system - only about 100 years of physical and sexual abuse of children, known full well by many of the parties involved (churches and government)

Indeed. I met a Native woman who was a survivor of the residential school system in Vancouver some years ago. Very disturbing story. Ultimately her sister committed suicide.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about this:
Signature on letter implicates Pope in abuse cover-up

In the 1985 letter, Cardinal Ratzinger said the arguments for removing Kiesle were of “grave significance” but added that such actions required very careful review and more time. He also urged the bishop to provide Kiesle with “as much paternal care as possible” while awaiting the decision, according to a translation by Professor Thomas Habinek, of the University of Southern California classics department.

The future Pope noted that any decision to defrock Kiesle must take into account the “good of the universal Church” and the “detriment that granting the dispensation can provoke within the community of Christ’s faithful, particularly considering the young age”. Kiesle was 38 at the time.

This man is supposed to be the moral compass and guiding Shepperd for all Catholics in matters of faith and behavior.

Now, apart from what these things implicate about the top brass in the church, it also shows that there might be a power struggle going on within the church. After all, where does this letter come from? The recipient presumably was a senior member of the clergy as well. For some reason, he kept this letter, and now, so much later, it surfaces at a bad time.

Who knows... we might see the beginnings of a great purge in the Catholic Church. Like a thoroughly rotten tooth getting a root canal treatment. Then again, probably not.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
In some situations, you have to choose between being nailed to the cross, or being the one doing the hammering. It seems an awful lot of people made the wrong choice for the sake of not rocking the boat.

Latest Discussions