More Fun in Florida

P

PeachMonkey

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52800-2004Sep26.html

Jimmy Carter states that Florida will not meet basic international standards for voting fairness in this year's elections.

Highlights:

-- top election official was an elector for GW Bush in 2000 (international standards require a nonpartison electoral commission)

-- Attempts made to disqualify African-American voters (presumed Democratic supporters) as alleged felons (while not disqualifying Hispanics, presumed supporters of Dubya)

Get ready for another exciting election!

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
-- top election official was an elector for GW Bush in 2000 (international standards require a nonpartison electoral commission)
Do you mean that the official was a member of the Electoral College for Dubya, or simply someone who favored Bush in the election? Sorry for the dumb question.

OP
P

PeachMonkey

RandomPhantom700 said:
Do you mean that the official was a member of the Electoral College for Dubya, or simply someone who favored Bush in the election? Sorry for the dumb question.

Not a dumb question, I should have made it clearer. The official was a member of the Electoral College selecting Dubya.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have nothing to fear, Europe will keep us honest.

(From Slashdot)
[font=arial,helvetica]Europeans To Monitor American Voters[/font]
Posted by timothy on Sunday September 26, @07:40PM
from the oh-goodie-supervision dept.
shonagon53 writes "The United States is known as being the world's most stable democracy. But since the Florida 2000 fiasco, things have changed. Europe's famous Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) will now be monitoring the U.S. elections. The institution normally monitors elections in third world countries in transition, and in crisis areas or regions where civil wars have destabilized the political process. In november, the OSCE will be monitoring local and state elections in Kazakhstan, Skopje, Eastern Congo, Ouagadougou and... the United States. As the BBC reports, for some Americans this comes as a humiliation; others see it as a necessity, since they have lost trust in the American election process."
http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/26/2217230&tid=226&tid=103&tid=219

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
More on Carter:

(from Slashdot)
---
[font=arial,helvetica]Carter says Florida Voting Still Not Fair[/font]
Posted by michael on Monday September 27, @05:14PM
from the anybody-wanna-peanut? dept.
linuxwrangler writes "Ex president Jimmy Carter is claiming that Florida has still not created conditions for a fair election. The Carter Center has monitored over 50 elections worldwide for fairness and says that the absence of uniformity in voting procedures and the lack of a non-partisan election commission sets the stage for a repeat of the 2000 election. That election, overseen by Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris (aka co-chair of the Bush-Cheney state campaign committee), was officially decided by a margin of 537 votes. According to Carter, Florida governor Jeb Bush (aka brother of George W. Bush) has done little to correct the problems found in the 2000 election. In addition, Harris' successor Glenda Hood, (aka an elector for George W. Bush in 2000) recently attempted to disqualify 22,000 African Americans (likely Democrats), but only 61 Hispanics (likely Republicans), as alleged felons."
http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/27/2035206&tid=219

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
How many white voters were also disqualified under this law? Also, what are the numbers of said felon groups? Does anybody have them? They also say that several thousands of African American votes were thrown out on technicalities. Ok, what were these technicalities, and how do we know that they were African American votes? Heck, I had a vote of mine thrown out on a technicality. I was confused by the format of the primary, and I requested another ballot because I was afraid I filled it out wrong. If anybody can further explain this, please do.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
We have nothing to fear, Europe will keep us honest.

(From Slashdot)
[font=arial,helvetica]Europeans To Monitor American Voters[/font]
Posted by timothy on Sunday September 26, @07:40PM
from the oh-goodie-supervision dept.
shonagon53 writes "The United States is known as being the world's most stable democracy. But since the Florida 2000 fiasco, things have changed. Europe's famous Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) will now be monitoring the U.S. elections. The institution normally monitors elections in third world countries in transition, and in crisis areas or regions where civil wars have destabilized the political process. In november, the OSCE will be monitoring local and state elections in Kazakhstan, Skopje, Eastern Congo, Ouagadougou and... the United States. As the BBC reports, for some Americans this comes as a humiliation; others see it as a necessity, since they have lost trust in the American election process."
http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/26/2217230&tid=226&tid=103&tid=219
I find it both humiliating and a necessity.

Latest Discussions