Modify your class to meet your student's need

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not certain I understand your question.
Our mma class Is A Regular Class. Now, the curriculum is different from the Wing Chun class and is different from the Muay Thai class, and is different from the Kali class and the goals of the classes are different so, Yes it is taught differently.
If you use gloves when you teach your WC class, will you modify your WC techniques? Will you teach 2 sets of techniques, one set with gloves and one set without gloves?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are a Judo (or self-defense) instructor, when your students test their Judo (or self-defense) skill in MMA gym, they will complain that all the set up that you have taught them won't work with gloves. What will you do then?
With MMA gloves, much of it will. With bigger gloves, they should use something else from their toolbox.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are a Judo (or self-defense) instructor, when your students test their Judo (or self-defense) skill in MMA gym, they will complain that all the set up that you have taught them won't work with gloves. What will you do then?
So adapting to a situation is something not taught? If in a self defense situation you are injured doesn't that same thing happen? Suddenly the absolutely perfect technique no longer happens but one must be adaptive to the reality of 'right now'.
I often have students train with different type of gloves or contrived injuries to place them in situations where they can't grab or maybe can only use one hand or arm. Blindfold them and other situations.

If you use gloves when you teach your WC class, will you modify your WC techniques? Will you teach 2 sets of techniques, one set with gloves and one set without gloves?
No. But they learn how to modify on the fly.
Now if a one armed person came in to train I would certainly have to change something specifically for that one person but I wouldn't change my whole class or curriculum.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my today's class, we put gloves on and did head hunting for 2 hours. We trained very simple techniques.

- A punches (no kicks) anyway that he may like. We break after 10 punches.
- B uses rhino guard to deal with it. Since there is gloves, the rhino guard is just back fist touch front wrist. During A's punches, B tries to move forward and punches on A's face.

The following result is what we have found out.

1. The jab and cross is difficult to get in because the center line is well protected.
2. When A uses hook punch, B can hide his head behind his guard.
3. When A uses uppercut (shorter punch), B's fist can land on A's face (longer punch).

The best timing for B to move forward is when A uses hook or uppercut.

I don't know what MA style training this should be called. I expect we are going to do the same thing for the next 2 or 3 classes (I'll collect more data). IMO, if you can protect your head from punched, you will have courage and courage will give you speed and confidence.

Not trying to sell my rhino guard here. Just share my personal experience on this. I'll be happy if one day people will use it in MMA.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If a student comes to you and wants to learn how to fight against MMA guys in MMA gym. He is not interested in learning your complete MA system. He just wants to learn how to use few effective entering strategies, changes the striking game into a wrestling game, and takes his opponent down ASAP.

How will you modify your class to meet your student's need? Your thought?
I would have to tell him that he's in the wrong school or that I'm the wrong teacher from here. While there is no need to teach an entire system of Jow Ga Kung Fu, there is a lot of things one has to know and understand in order to be effective with it. It's not the same as just punching and kicking at something.

I think that's where a lot of MMA fighters get into trouble. For some they think that they can take pieces of techniques from systems and still be effective.

To me fighting systems are like the 100 piece puzzles (jigsaw puzzle). If you only have 3 or 4 pieces from that puzzle then it really doesn't help you understand what the puzzle is and how one technique fits into another. If you are a person who puts the edges of a puzzle together first, then that would be considered your frame work, then you at least have something to build off of and some pieces of that system you will add quickly and other pieces will take sometime.

MMA fighters will sometimes get a piece from various systems and never really build a frame work. Many of the top MMA fighters comes from a system in which they at least have the frame work for that system if not the entire system put together.

Even entering strategies are going to be based on the framework of a fighting system.

I personally can't teach someone that short sighted. There's more to a fight than just striking and grabbing, that's the easy part. The things that make a person effect has very little to do with actual punching, kicking, and grabbing.

The more I learn about fighting, the less it becomes about fighting.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would not teach anybody who just wanted a few tricks, for whatever reason. It does not work that way. I would have nothing to offer him.

Nobody needs to learn the entire system in order to be effective. I certainly have not learned the entire system.

But in order to be effective with it, one needs to understand the foundation and how it works, and needs to have given enough effort to develop some actual skill with that knowledge. Tricks don’t work well without a foundation.
I feel the same way. Money is nice but I don't want to spend time on someone who doesn't have the sense to understand that's it takes more than just a few tricks. The person would have to pay me a considerable amount of money to offer crap, because that's what it would be. That and me explaining "The reason you can't get that technique to work because you don't understand B, and you can't understand B before you understand A.

We actually saw this with Ronda Rousey. She thought a crash course in boxing would be good enough to go against someone who really understood boxing and learned the system vs learning parts of the system.

Anyone who knows the basics of striking can pick out the errors of this.. Check out 1:02, she doesn't even duck.

Anyone with a good foundation in breathing can pick out the errors.

By the way. She had a private class.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have more patience than me lol
I’ve done some work with a high school wrestler who was looking for a new way to approach his wrestling, some years ago. I had fun working with the limitations of the rule set, and it seemed to help his defense.