MMA gym instructor concerns

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The bios of the coaches are heavy in boxing, kickboxing, bjj, and wrestling, with no mention of Muy Thai. One of them is "MMA," but there is still no mention of Muy Thai. I want my elbows and knees. Should I be concerned?

Last edited:

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There really aren't very many qualied Muay Thai instructors in the US. It sounds like they might have integrity for not false advertising. Most places would claim knowledge they don't have, just to get you to sign up.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There really aren't very many qualied Muay Thai instructors in the US. It sounds like they might have integrity for not false advertising. Most places would claim knowledge they don't have, just to get you to sign up.
I get the feeling there just aren't that many, outside of Thailand.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you live in a country that doesn't really muay thai. Then you won't usually get muay thai as your striking base.

Sos.

Which is why GSP had to fly an Australian in.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're looking for muay thai, then yeah you should be concerned. If you're looking for MMA, then no. Muay thai isn't needed as part of MMA, provided you have sufficient other styles of striking.

If you're looking for elbows and knees in the US, maybe see if there are kenpo schools nearby? Only art I can think of that (normally) includes those early on.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're looking for muay thai, then yeah you should be concerned. If you're looking for MMA, then no. Muay thai isn't needed as part of MMA, provided you have sufficient other styles of striking.

If you're looking for elbows and knees in the US, maybe see if there are kenpo schools nearby? Only art I can think of that (normally) includes those early on.

I teach them in Modern Arnis, after a couple of belts. First belt is isolation of the technique in the air.

Latest Discussions