MMA Gloves - I need new ones

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I need a new pair of gloves for the heavy bag. I never used them when I was younger, but with age came wimpy knuckles so I now use them, However I need a new pair. I have a pair of Century gloves that look a lot like these

century-kids-ufc-bag-and-glove-set-41815296-01.jpg

But they say Century across the knuckles not MMA. I like the open fingers because it is much easier to practice palm strikes, like Piquan, that way.

Problem is the right one, the pad over the knuckles, has gotten hard and it is actually harder now to hit the bag with them on than to not wear them at all.

I have little experience with these since I never used them until I bought my current pair a couple years ago.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly I've never noticed a single difference in gloves I've worn hundreds of types and brands over the years and never noticed a single difference. To me gloves are gloves they do the same job no matter type

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The more fighting you do, the more bag work, the more pad work - gotta' have the gloves you like. Sure, you can get by on just about anything. But, why would you?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The more fighting you do, the more bag work, the more pad work - gotta' have the gloves you like. Sure, you can get by on just about anything. But, why would you?

agreed, but I am not doing any fighting. The gloves I had were great for a little over a year, but over time the pad in the right glove compressed and now it is like having a board over my knuckles when I hit the bag.... so I stopped using them

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have a pair of those that a friend gave me. I've been very happy with them. I guess they normally have a bit of padding on the palm, but the previous owner cut that out so they would work better for grappling.

I do not want padding in the palm and until I looked yesterday I did not even realize they had such a thing

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not want padding in the palm and until I looked yesterday I did not even realize they had such a thing
I didn't realize they came with the palm padding until I read the product description. Then when I looked at mine I could see where the previous owner had sliced open the little compartment which held the padding and removed it. I never noticed that before.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't realize they came with the palm padding until I read the product description. Then when I looked at mine I could see where the previous owner had sliced open the little compartment which held the padding and removed it. I never noticed that before.
Its actually a piece of steel within the padding for some reason. I assume for gripping. I removed it from my pair because it was causing problems with my opponents when grappling. Other than that I really like the gloves. Nice fit, good wrap for support etc.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I need a new pair of gloves for the heavy bag. I never used them when I was younger, but with age came wimpy knuckles so I now use them, However I need a new pair. I have a pair of Century gloves that look a lot like these

century-kids-ufc-bag-and-glove-set-41815296-01.jpg

But they say Century across the knuckles not MMA. I like the open fingers because it is much easier to practice palm strikes, like Piquan, that way.

Problem is the right one, the pad over the knuckles, has gotten hard and it is actually harder now to hit the bag with them on than to not wear them at all.

I have little experience with these since I never used them until I bought my current pair a couple years ago.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I actually like Everlast equipment much like these
p00000663_.jpg

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Honestly I've never noticed a single difference in gloves I've worn hundreds of types and brands over the years and never noticed a single difference. To me gloves are gloves they do the same job no matter type
It depends on which knuckles you punch with. The knuckles that I use are not covered by MMA gloves.. This glove gives me three striking points that are not covered by the glove. If you don't use the any of the three striking points shown in the upper right photo then most gloves will perform similar but may have some cuts that increase or decrease comfort. I often have to find a pair that allows me to comfortably make a fist without it feeling like it's cutting into the web of my fingers or cutting off circulation.
1694007884845.jpeg

Latest Discussions