Missing the instep

Taekwondo14

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, sometimes when I kick I accidently kick with either the top of my toes, or my shin. How can I stop doing that? Like Im trying to hit with the instep but thats not always where it connects

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Practice. That's the only real answer.

We practice all our techniques with the F.A.S.P. model. That stands for Form, Accuracy, Speed, and Power. All basics and combinations and patterns are practiced in that order. And anytime a student is struggling with one of the four aspects of that training model I tell them to go back to the previous step and focus on it. Accuracy comes from proper Form. Speed comes from Form and Accuracy. Power comes from the combination of Form, Accuracy, and Speed.

If you are struggling with your Accuracy focus on Form. Start slowly, in the air. Then move to pads, then the bag, then the body. At each step, take your time and focus on proper execution. If you move to the next step and can't seem to make it work then go back down to the previous step and spend more time at that level.

All sophisticated karate skills are based on previous, simpler techniques. A spin rear kick can be broken down into a spin and a rear kick. An overlapping windmill parry can be broken down into an outward parry and an inward parry. You are only as good as your basics, so spend the most of your time on their practice.

Lastly, be patient. Karate no shugyo wa issho. It will take all of your life to learn karate. You may not get the kick today, or this month, or before your next belt test. But if you keep at it, you will get it eventually.

Any man who wants to master the essence of my strategy must research diligently, training morning and evening. Thus can he polish his skill, become free from self, and realise extraordinary ability. He will come to possess miraculous power.
Miyamoto Musashi
Book of Five Rings
Fire Chapter

-Rob

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, sometimes when I kick I accidently kick with either the top of my toes, or my shin. How can I stop doing that? Like Im trying to hit with the instep but thats not always where it connects

Work on better turning your hip and the foot supporting your weight during the kick. The No. 1 reason people mess up roundhouse kicks is failure to do that.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I didn't look back to see what you said about how much experience you have, but what you describe is common with people who haven't yet learned their range. The best solution is kicking targets as much as you can, rather than air. As my master is fond of saying, "ten thousand more and you'll have it down."

Carl

OP
T

Taekwondo14

White Belt
Reaction score
I didn't look back to see what you said about how much experience you have, but what you describe is common with people who haven't yet learned their range. The best solution is kicking targets as much as you can, rather than air. As my master is fond of saying, "ten thousand more and you'll have it down."

Carl
Thanks, I've been in for a little less then a month and this tuesday I'm getting my first stripe on my white belt

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a white belt you need to spend less time asking question here and more time on the mat and asking your Instructor. You need to build a raport with your instructor and do what he has laid out for you. In time you will get better. All your problem are because you are a white belt. All white belts have you problems. That's why you are a white belt.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something that helped me when i first started out, was to find a Corner. Like...

______
++++
______ <===
xxxxxxI
xxxxxxI

That kind of corner, imagining the + signs are the floor, and the _ and I are walls.

Now, perform an Instep Kick, with no power, standing and facing where the arrow is pointing and facing. If the whole top of your foot/Instep isnt whats connecting, adjust your position until it is, note what you changed to get to there, and eventually it will come more naturally.

I hope that helps further :)

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
after MUCH practice, you will learn how to judge distance and timing and propperly place the part of your foot YOU want, Where you want.

Its just as much techniche as it is, learning your body. think about this, you know without thinking where the tips of your fingures are and can reach out and place your finger tips onto an object without feeling around. Hand-eye coordination and years of doing it makes it a thoughless process.

now you are trying to learn to place your FOOT, which is at the end of your leg and NOT used like that your entire life, on a target, a moving target at that.

it will come with time an practise.