Misc Fighting Book Recommendations

bladenosh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Basically, I hurt myself and can't fight for a while. I figure this is the best place to ask about various martial arts. I would like recommendations on any martial arts books. Western Boxing, Wrestling, Gung Fu, Jeet Kune Do, Wing Chun, Mui Thai, Karate, Ninjitsu, Samurai styles (I love jujutsu), Historical books on Eastern culture, and the evolution of fighting in different regioin's cultures, and even philosophical and zen books. I was thinking about looking for New Life by Krishna. Thank you for your help!

**Extended**
I recently sustained an injury to my knee. I was walking up the stairs and flipped my mediskus or something. I am a quite proficient mma fighter, and am always ready to learn. I can't fight for a long time, approx. 30 days; fighting is my main base for learning. Combat is spontaneous and is best learned in the field in my opinion. Thus far I have been very successful, only catching a few blows which I can even count on my fingers. I learned recently from a Bruce Lee video that he sustained an injury and spend his time reading, and attempting to workout... and he easily proved doctors wrong. He is a big motivation to me after that "A Warrior's Journey" film, but I haven't read his actual teachings. I saw that film and it has the same principles I do about fighting, except they are way better and far more directed than I am. I would like to add a bit of form to my no form, just knowledge. He seems to be a very wise man, and it seems he already did the scientific work I planned to. I am one who loves to study and read, and I did not even realize non-pictorial based writings even existed until this movie. Picture books are a bit more difficult to understand the intricate details of a certain move. Although no move is perfect, they can always flow to another situation and thus I believe any knowledge is good to have. I had read a few brian kempo websites which improved my standup power 10 fold. I love five swords, just sucks when they blocked the secondary hand's first chop which seems to be in a lot of people's insinct's! lol

Thanks for all the help this forum offers. And wordup to the silent lurkers who never post, but always read, we know you're out there you're not fooling anyone!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Here are a few authors worth reading: 1st- Loren W Christesen.."Anything goes" and he wrote a few more books worth getting.

2nd Mark "the Animal MacYoung" All his books/videos are worth reading and owning.

Today my flavoriates are books more into real streeting fighting stuffs. Pressure points technques and actual fighting techniques.

Any book you can read will always give you something to think about or a new techniques/points of attacks.....If you can gain just ONE thing from each book......you have increase your learning. ......Aloha

OP
B

bladenosh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Here are a few authors worth reading: 1st- Loren W Christesen.."Anything goes" and he wrote a few more books worth getting.

2nd Mark "the Animal MacYoung" All his books/videos are worth reading and owning.

Today my flavoriates are books more into real streeting fighting stuffs. Pressure points technques and actual fighting techniques.

Any book you can read will always give you something to think about or a new techniques/points of attacks.....If you can gain just ONE thing from each book......you have increase your learning. ......Aloha

Thank you. I will check my local library today for those authors.

You are correct you can learn from anything you study. Just one thing can increase, but that is not an effiecient way to look at it. To be progressive, we must learn faster than our relative point... Our enemies, or potential enemies. There is no telling how long we are on this earth, every moment is quite precious in the scheme of things. I have found books or sites that change my life in martial arts. Just a rant, but worth writing maybe.