minor wrist surgery procedure

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Dr. Dave.

Your wrist has been injured once at work and now in JJ with the same motion. Your body is trying to tell you something.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dave,

Can't sleep well tonight.... Pain does play a factor in that. :(
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
CC

I was pleased as punch when you started jujutsu, and remember dialoguing with you about it in PM's.
I enjoyed these dialogues with you also very much and thank you for enhancing the limited knowledge I have.
I would offer, at this point, that it might not be in your best interests to continue. Different physiologies/genetics react differently to insults and injury; this will even change from part to part. My wrists can take a major beating, but not my shoulders. My knees can take more punishment than my back. Your wrists...
Understood. In some ways, I wish this wasn't so true. I'm hoping that the surgery will help make my left wrist stronger and better than it was. I don't know if that is an unrealistic expectation; I do not want to give up dreams I want to achieve. If I can find a way to keep going....
Unless the instructor will accomodate a wrist-less training schedule for you, do yourself a favor and stop. More insult will lead to more schmutz. It ain't worth it. Surgeries are hard on the body...why set yourself up for more?
You make a very good argument. My body is all that I have, and I do need to take care of it better. I'll have to ask my instructor for his opinion if modification is possible.

Would strength training as part of physical therapy help after the surgery to allow for a return to jujitsu?
You are very likely to have a better kenpo game now than had you not taken the JJ...you'll know what the techniques against grabs are actually against, and you'll have a finer feel for contact manipulation. Now, go be nice to yourself.
You're right, my kenpo improved as a result of jujitsu. I also love what I've learned with jujitsu. For that, I'm really grateful. My instructor is an excellent one and he has been very patient with me. He has done much for allowing me to really enjoy training.

It would be a sad day if I had to give up jujitsu. I don't want to think about it, but I realize that may be a real possibility. I'd like to see how the surgery and recovery goes first before I make the final decision.

The main thing that worries me is physical therapy. I probably will have a tendency to try to rush through in my eagerness to be healed. I know I will have to remind myself that healing and strengthening takes time. Not being able to train as fully as I want really does drive me insane.
At least that's my own opining.

Regards,

Dave
Thank you. Your opinions and knowledge are valuable. I appreciate most the point you made that parts of the body are not equal and some parts handle physiological stress better than others. That was a sobering thought. :asian: I also have to acknowledge I am getting older and don't move as well or heal as quickly as I used to.

We'll see how things go....

- Ceicei

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So are the cysts and everything only from the wrist-lock or are there other factors too? Also I once completely busted my right arm and I found out from my doctor that moving your fingers and tenseing/releasing your hand helps in recovering along with getting the stregth back.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
KenpoSterre said:
So are the cysts and everything only from the wrist-lock or are there other factors too? Also I once completely busted my right arm and I found out from my doctor that moving your fingers and tenseing/releasing your hand helps in recovering along with getting the stregth back.
Flexing the hand/rotating the wrist aggravates the joint, so right now, I am not going to worry about getting strength back until after the surgery.

In answer to your question, the injury is primarily from the way the left wrist was over-rotated in the same direction (from both the work related accident a long time ago and the wristlock throw). There were sharp shooting pain and sudden loss of strength at the time both incidents occurred. There were friction and weight-bearing stress causing the cyst. I suspect there might also be a small bone chip involved (because there is an extremely hard pebble sized lump within/near the cyst), but I will know for sure when I see the surgeon.

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Update:

I met with the surgeon today. He examined my wrist and said he will do the surgery to remove the bone chip and the cyst. He will be taking off about two inches off part of the ligament along with the chip and excising the cyst sheath. There will be 4 to 6 weeks of recovery time with a cast. This surgery will be done under general anesthesia at the hospital. The day is August 29th....

- Ceicei

Left wondering about my martial arts future....
%think%

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Update:

I had the wrist surgery on Tuesday, August 29th, under general anesthesia at the hospital. When I woke up in recovery room, I thought my wrist felt pretty good (bandaged heavily) as there wasn't any pain and I could move my fingers easily. The anesthesiologist (who is a good friend of mine) shook his head. He said, "Hey, take it easy, you're all numbed out. Don't move your fingers and wrist any more." As he knew I understood sports, he added, "It hurts more the next day."

He wasn't kidding. The next day, I was so sore, I could barely move even a finger. I zoned out big time. I also found I am allergic to the antibiotic and have been itching like crazy. I've been put on pain killers also and haven't felt up to doing much of anything except sleeping until yesterday. Today, Sept. 1st, is a really good day, so I'm back to MT again. I feel almost normal, except my wrist still hurts.... :(

My wrist is still heavily wrapped up. I can't take the bandages off until 10 days later. I go back to see the surgeon in 3 weeks for a follow up check. After I recover, He is referring me to a physical therapist.

- Ceicei

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear the surgery went well. Hope it all works out in the end!!

Jeff

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm also glad to hear that your surgery went well, Ceicei. I hope and pray you have a swift recovery, and that your wrist does regain full mobility.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Ceicei, glad to hear the surgery is over, hope you have a successful recovery.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Today I am pleased. My soft cast is finally off my left wrist. There is a two inch incision across my wrist. I'm amazed that there are no visible sutures. Maybe surgical glue is used instead of stitches? Anyway, it is almost healed, but still has scabbing.

I can move my fingers, but range of motion with my wrist is almost non-existent. I will need physical therapy to regain my range of motion. It sucks that I can't even do a palm heel strike or a backfist.

I go back to the surgeon for a follow-up check in 1 and 1/2 more weeks.

I will take it slowly to get back into kenpo. I will, however, wait until I am thoroughly healed and fully limber in the wrist before I try jujitsu again.

- Ceicei

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei - it sounds like things are going well, that's SO good to hear! Thanks for letting us know, and I hope physical terrorism (I mean therapy) goes well for you... and don't let that comment get you; I used to work for a physical therapy department in a hospital in high school, and that was one of the more common comments, mostly from knee surgery patients. At least your wrist isn't weight-bearing; it could be lots worse!

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Glad to hear that your wrist is healing up. And I also hope that you regain full range of motion in your wrist. Hang in there! :)

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My range of motion is getting better. I am able to move my wrist 25% up, but I still cannot move it down. Sideways and twisting motions still hurt. My grip power is at roughly 75%. I still have not started physical therapy yet. My surgeon wants to see me first and that is not until Sept. 21st.

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My wrist is still very, very stiff. The pain associated with the surgery (cut area) is now gone, but I am left with the pain of trying to stretch the muscles, tendons, and ligaments.

Any advice how to do this safely in regaining my range of motion?

Thank you!

- Ceicei

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Glad to see your writst is feeling a little bit better. I guess you should start by moving your fingers around and stuff. Once you can do that with out pain try gripping stress balls and stuff to get strenght back. Don't expect to get motion back immediately.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I remember when I was in high school and worked for a physical therapist, they often (especially right after surgery) used moist heat packs before beginning stretching - it relaxed the muscles prior to any movement. They then used them again afterward to relax the muscles again to reduce stiffness.

Range of motion exercises were supposed to cause discomfort, but not actual pain - if you rip something it will take even longer to heal.

Other than that, I think your best bet is to talk to a physical therapist about your specific needs.

It sounds like things are starting to heal well - which sounds great!

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw my physical therapist finally.....

My mobility was at 30% when I came in. When I left, it increased to 46%. The goal is to go to 77% average (matching my other wrist). He taught me how to do several different types of stretches and exercises. I will see him again in 2 more weeks.

I asked him whether I could continue my activities. He said that the surgery (he has already been briefed by the surgeon prior to my appointment) will actually help my wrist to be better than it was before, so I shouldn't have to stop doing what I love to do (caving, rock climbing, karate, jujitsu, etc.) The more I use my wrist, the better it will be--don't let it atrophy.

I asked specifically about jujitsu. He mentioned that rather than avoiding jujitsu because the wrist is stiff, I consider doing more of jujitsu. He explained that if jujitsu is done properly, jujitsu teaches how to stretch and strengthen the wrists. In fact, I should be able to do jujitsu better now than I did before as the surgery has removed completely the cyst that impedes the motion. He strongly advised I just start out slowly and build up the strength and range, then go throw 'em! Be sure I tap out often... just don't let the locks and holds go beyond the tolerance level for me.

Nice!!!! :D

I'm happy that I can resume doing all that I love....

:partyon:

- Ceicei

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Woohoo!!!! Sounds like the best possible outcome - congratulations!

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is excellent news, indeed! I'm glad you don't have to give up anything you love - woo hoo! :D

Latest Discussions