minor wrist surgery procedure

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Two months ago, my left wrist got hurt during a wrist lock/throw with my slightly overzealous jujitsu partner. It is the same wrist I hurt approximately 10 years ago at work, the injury happening approximately the same way (the twist).

It got progressively worse over the past two months.

Anyway, last week x-rays were taken and today, in approximately one hour from now, I will be going to get the procedure done on my wrist. I am not sure yet how the doctor intends to do this, but I will find out soon enough. He said it had to do with the nerves and motion friction.

Wish me luck for a speedy recovery.

- Ceicei

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good Luck, CeiCei! Let us know how you are doing!

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Luck, CeiCei! :)

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Update:

I walked into the doctor's office with a 101 degree fever. He checked and it appears I have an ear infection. He said he will get back to that after the wrist procedure.

His plan was to drain the ganglion cyst with a long needle and that should be it. Apparently after draining that, he found I have other cysts, a ring of them, some are pretty deep within the wrist, near the main nerve. To reach them, he used a very small circular saw (that cuts on a horizontal plane, kind of like a very tiny cookie cutter). More probing, more cutting (sometimes with the saw, sometimes with a scapel), and more draining. Fortunately, he used a local anesthesia so I couldn't feel this. It was interesting to watch. It took four small syringes to fill up with the drainage. He did ask me periodically to move my fingers and apply light pressure. After he stitched me up, he put on a compression wrap and advised I ice the wrist with a bag of ice.

He gave me a Rx for the ear infection (to both reduce the fever and fight the infection).

He also said not to "use the wrist" for 10 days to prevent the stitches from ripping.
He will check on the wrist again, and if all goes well (cysts not returning), remove the stitches.

After getting the Rx and taking it, I slept for almost three hours (the med makes me sleepy).

The bummer is it looks like I can't do jujitsu or kenpo (or caving) with that wrist for a little while. :mad:

Maybe some foot katas when I feel a bit better while recovering.

- Ceicei

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speedy recovery, CeiCei! Sounds good that you got all that bad stuff out of the way.

Heal up though...best to spend the time to get fixed and stay fixed. :) :)

Prayers to you my friend :asian:

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I got a PM asking me if my partner knows about the injury. No he doesn't, at least not yet. I don't fault him though, because I am equally as responsible for the injury by not tapping out sooner.

- Ceicei

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery! Now's the time to catch upon all those martial arts movies you've been wanting to watch. Best regards...

-Garry

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
The bummer is it looks like I can't do jujitsu or kenpo (or caving) with that wrist for a little while. :mad:

- Ceicei
...and sit ups.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Update:
I walked into the doctor's office with a 101 degree fever. He checked and it appears I have an ear infection. He said he will get back to that after the wrist procedure.
Well you're already profoundly deaf and probably can't get more deafer than ya are now. I know you hear a bit with hearing aids but even if you lost it all it's not a major loss now is it? It's something that I've been preparing for myself for the last few years. Dunno how much longer it'll be before I'll really need an interpreter ... except on dates!

Ceicei said:
His plan was to drain the ganglion cyst with a long needle and that should be it. Apparently after draining that, he found I have other cysts, a ring of them, some are pretty deep within the wrist, near the main nerve. To reach them, he used a very small circular saw (that cuts on a horizontal plane, kind of like a very tiny cookie cutter). More probing, more cutting (sometimes with the saw, sometimes with a scapel), and more draining. Fortunately, he used a local anesthesia so I couldn't feel this. It was interesting to watch. It took four small syringes to fill up with the drainage. He did ask me periodically to move my fingers and apply light pressure. After he stitched me up, he put on a compression wrap and advised I ice the wrist with a bag of ice.

He gave me a Rx for the ear infection (to both reduce the fever and fight the infection).

He also said not to "use the wrist" for 10 days to prevent the stitches from ripping.
He will check on the wrist again, and if all goes well (cysts not returning), remove the stitches.

After getting the Rx and taking it, I slept for almost three hours (the med makes me sleepy).

- Ceicei

Well good luck with it al..... wait... NO CAVING????!!!!! :miffer: :waah: :wah: :vu:

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It looks like the cyst came back. I'm going in for a second doctor's appointment today at 2:15. I am not sure if he intends to drain it again or if he will surgically remove it. Either way, it looks like I have to keep my kenpo and jujitsu (yes, MA-Caver, this includes caving) to a minimum for a while longer.

- Ceicei

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that this is happening to you. I injured my wrist in TKD (same thing, someone hit me) and had to wear a brace for 3 weeks, and that was bad enough - no surgery involved. I hope everything heals well in a minimum of time, with no side effects.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you have a physical therapist lined up for recovery after your doctor clears you for movement of the wrist?

You have my best wishes for a speeding healing process!

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
rutherford said:
Do you have a physical therapist lined up for recovery after your doctor clears you for movement of the wrist?

You have my best wishes for a speeding healing process!

Not yet with a physical therapist. If it turns out to be a removal surgery this time, very likely a PT may be recommended. We'll see how the appt goes very soon. Gosh, it's kinda hard to type with primarily one hand.

Thank you to all of you for your well wishes...

- Ceicei

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Gosh, it's kinda hard to type with primarily one hand.
Nah, I've been doing it for yea--er, nevermind... :uhohh:

Seriously, good luck with your follow-up.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Nah, I've been doing it for yea--er, nevermind... :uhohh:

Seriously, good luck with your follow-up.

I laughed. Thanks!

Update:

I went to the dr and he confirmed the cysts are back. However, they are located rather deep within the wrist so he cannot do a simple procedure. He cannot guarantee that draining them will prevent them from coming back.

He set up an appt for me with an orthopedist for a wrist surgery on 8/9/06 at 9:30 am.

Three weeks of pain while waiting. Anyway, I'm hoping that the upcoming surgery will take care of the problem. :(

- Ceicei

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Three weeks of pain while waiting. Anyway, I'm hoping that the upcoming surgery will take care of the problem. :(
- Ceicei
So do we all... (((hugs))) good luck.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks. The stitches are out today (so ripping them will no longer be a concern). The doctor says I can move my wrist within reason--just try not to do anything to aggravate the cysts further. Basically, the wrist is no worse than it was prior to the first procedure of 7/7/06, just that the scar is still new and the wrist not quite as strong (been kept immobile for the past two weeks with the support wrap and brace).

- Ceicei

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When the stitches were taken out 7/17/06, the doctor saw that the cysts had come back and he knew that his minor surgery on 7/7/06 didn't succeed. He referred me to an orthopedist for cyst removal surgery on 8/9/06. I saw the orthopedist yesterday. He didn't do the surgery. After he examined my wrist further, he said the damage was more extensive than he had thought and I would need reconstructive surgery. This is more than a cyst problem. Anyway, I am scheduled to meet the surgeon on 8/21/06. I didn't realize the damage was that bad, all from a wristlock throw.

More waiting. :(

I was really hoping to get this all over with so I could return fully to training. I am wondering though, that after I heal, whether I should consider even going back to jujitsu.

- Ceicei

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of all the problems you are having with your wrist. Hope it all goes well.:)

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
When the stitches were taken out 7/17/06, the doctor saw that the cysts had come back and he knew that his minor surgery on 7/7/06 didn't succeed. He referred me to an orthopedist for cyst removal surgery on 8/9/06. I saw the orthopedist yesterday. He didn't do the surgery. After he examined my wrist further, he said the damage was more extensive than he had thought and I would need reconstructive surgery. This is more than a cyst problem. Anyway, I am scheduled to meet the surgeon on 8/21/06. I didn't realize the damage was that bad, all from a wristlock throw.

More waiting. :(

I was really hoping to get this all over with so I could return fully to training. I am wondering though, that after I heal, whether I should consider even going back to jujitsu.

- Ceicei

CC

I was pleased as punch when you started jujutsu, and remember dialoguing with you about it in PM's. I would offer, at this point, that it might not be in your best interests to continue. Different physiologies/genetics react differently to insults and injury; this will even change from part to part. My wrists can take a major beating, but not my shoulders. My knees can take more punishment than my back. Your wrists...

Unless the instructor will accomodate a wrist-less training schedule for you, do yourself a favor and stop. More insult will lead to more schmutz. It ain't worth it. Surgeries are hard on the body...why set yourself up for more? You are very likely to have a better kenpo game now than had you not taken the JJ...you'll know what the techniques against grabs are actually against, and you'll have a finer feel for contact manipulation. Now, go be nice to yourself.

At least that's my own opining.

Regards,

Dave

Latest Discussions