Military Policy, a school project in the makeing

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am doing a high school project (for AP Government) on military policy. As of yet, I have no real place to start. Now, this project is my final, so I really need to get it done.

The only real requirements are:
I must site my sources
I must have a three page (double spaced) paper
I must be able to give a 2-3 minute speach on my subject, with out reading from my paper
I must stay on subject.

So, I have some wiggle room, but since I have no real start, I was hopeing some of you folks might be willing to help. My only personal rules are the following:
No 'gays in the military' (since I'm straight, I dont feel it's my place)
No 'women and there role in the military' (same kind of idea)
No 'we need to pull out of Iraq' (I don't think that's the kind of policy the teacher is talking about)

The aspect that has gotten my attention is the idea of fourth generation tactics, and adpating geurilla warfare a little more. Any input of possible or places to get research would be welcome.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A couple of ideas off the top of my head.

How a volunteer military affects use of the military compared to a conscription military.

A discussion on the financial of a military as a portion of a governments total revenue.

I suppose, if you wish to look toward 4th Generation Tactics, the best place to start, might be 'The Art of War' by sun tzu. Of course, that may be the best place to start for any discussion.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suppose, if you wish to look toward 4th Generation Tactics, the best place to start, might be 'The Art of War' by sun tzu. Of course, that may be the best place to start for any discussion.

Wait, I've read Sunt Tzu, didn't he say that if your enemy out numbers you, run? Isn't that kind of anit-fourth generation? After all, isn't one of the central principals that less is more?

Outside that, I thank you sir!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and we can exchange e-mails. I'm active duty and have been deployed with the Army as well as spent 5 years in the Air Force.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am doing a high school project (for AP Government) on military policy. As of yet, I have no real place to start. Now, this project is my final, so I really need to get it done.

The only real requirements are:
I must site my sources
I must have a three page (double spaced) paper
I must be able to give a 2-3 minute speach on my subject, with out reading from my paper
I must stay on subject.

So, I have some wiggle room, but since I have no real start, I was hopeing some of you folks might be willing to help. My only personal rules are the following:
No 'gays in the military' (since I'm straight, I dont feel it's my place)
No 'women and there role in the military' (same kind of idea)
No 'we need to pull out of Iraq' (I don't think that's the kind of policy the teacher is talking about)

The aspect that has gotten my attention is the idea of fourth generation tactics, and adpating geurilla warfare a little more. Any input of possible or places to get research would be welcome.
A three page paper doesn't really give you much room to drift off topic, and realy is tight for producing a 2 to 3 minute speech.

But I'm not clear on what the topic is. Saying you're writing a paper on "military policy" is like saying that you're writing a cookbook on food.

I'd start by assessing the sources and research materials you have available. I learned this the hard way once, when I tried to right a report on an author. My grade was significantly and negatively effected because I chose an author about whom there was little available (this was pre-internet) beyond reference books, and the directions were that other sources were required.

I'd stay away from tactics, and look instead towards topics like when should military force be used, or who should control the military (civilians? the military? the church?). You'll find more resources and sources to cite that way.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A three page paper doesn't really give you much room to drift off topic, and realy is tight for producing a 2 to 3 minute speech.

But I'm not clear on what the topic is. Saying you're writing a paper on "military policy" is like saying that you're writing a cookbook on food.

I'd start by assessing the sources and research materials you have available. I learned this the hard way once, when I tried to right a report on an author. My grade was significantly and negatively effected because I chose an author about whom there was little available (this was pre-internet) beyond reference books, and the directions were that other sources were required.

I'd stay away from tactics, and look instead towards topics like when should military force be used, or who should control the military (civilians? the military? the church?). You'll find more resources and sources to cite that way.

That is a good point, tactics is a pretty subjective field. You will find some basic info on how we conduct operations, but finding the kind of scientific info that you need is NOT going to be easy. If so, I would START with a book called "Learning to eat soup with a Knife" by John A. Nagl. He is the leading counterinsurgency expert in the US Army.

You would probably have an easier time choosing a military policy, such as uniforms or basic standards than something as broad and largely abstract as counterinsurgent tactics.

By the way, I have never heard the term "Fourth generation" tactics? I could just be sheltered, but I assume that it is referring to counter insurgent tactics.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my pet policies for discussion is the Army's Height/Weight standards and it's policies regarding them.

They were written in the late 50's and were very lightly revised in the 90s (I think) and have ruined a great number of potentially great soldiers because they didn't fit within the army's box.

...example: a promising young officer (not myself, I've never been that promising) who was a competitive body builder (single digit body fat %) and could score between 290 and 300 on the Army Physical Fitness test but was heavier than standard (due to muscle mass) and couldn't pass the archaic but only authorized body fat percentage measure (the tape test) because he had a thin neck.

Just my pet gripe, so I like getting people involved in it.

4th Generation Warfare is a good topic, but could tend to run long.

Boyd's OODA loop is good for a short discussion or a long paper. IT discusses how people think and react, and if you can get "inside your enemies OODA loop", you can beat him every time. Like the book of five rings, it has been used in military and business alike.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
S_D - that would be a GREAT topic....the entire physical fitness testing system in the military will give plenty of material. the AF does it the same way - we use BMI, plus a waist measurement, the 1.5 mile run, push ups, sit ups and has the same issues. BMI is widely accepted as a good measure of fitness.....but it doesn't take into account a number of things.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the topic
How a volunteer military affects use of the military compared to a conscription military.

Many countries today require all males to spend time in the milatary I could be wrong but some may even demand all women also.
The size of our military and the reaction to our troops here at home would be different if all served and I think you can find facts on how the people of countries that have mandatory requirments react compared to those that do not

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score

Thats what I meant. I was hopeing you guys might be able to give me more of a staring point. I only mentioned tactics unless you folks couldn't come up with something better.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the way, I have never heard the term "Fourth generation" tactics? I could just be sheltered, but I assume that it is referring to counter insurgent tactics.

Wiki it. Wikipedia cann't be trusted too much, but the article sites some sources, so I think it's reliable.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the topic

Many countries today require all males to spend time in the milatary I could be wrong but some may even demand all women also.
The size of our military and the reaction to our troops here at home would be different if all served and I think you can find facts on how the people of countries that have mandatory requirments react compared to those that do not

I like the idea too. Problem I see with it, our population would get very small, and Canada would get very big.

My current thought process is 'volunteer v. conscrpit v. national requirement v contractorers' and all those ramifications. I've already explained what they are, so it might be one less thing to explain.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
My current thought process is 'volunteer v. conscrpit v. national requirement v contractorers' and all those ramifications. I've already explained what they are, so it might be one less thing to explain.

Examining the influence of contractors and the corporatisation of the military would be extremely interesting. Very topical. Could run a bit long though. Still, its easier to pare something big down than to build up something with little information.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Examining the influence of contractors and the corporatisation of the military would be extremely interesting. Very topical. Could run a bit long though. Still, its easier to pare something big down than to build up something with little information.
He could keep that topic to size fairly easily. Just look at one aspect; contractors as security, or contractors in the field as technical support, or contractors teaching the native forces, for example. (It's kind of scary to find out just how many contractors are bebopping around our "military" bases and ships, and just how much they're doing.)

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ive often wondered. I have been abroad with the military and been feed, fueled, clothes washed, vehicles maintained by gvt. contractors. While they do vital jobs that I wouldnt have enlisted to do, is the gvt. really saving $$ by having Brown&Root wash my skivies vs. just enlisting more privates and having them do it? I suppose the total cost of a pvt. including training, health care, housing etc. , on a one to one basis, MAY be more expensive than contracting that job out, but I dont know. I wonder how the numbers work.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ive often wondered. I have been abroad with the military and been feed, fueled, clothes washed, vehicles maintained by gvt. contractors. While they do vital jobs that I wouldnt have enlisted to do, is the gvt. really saving $$ by having Brown&Root wash my skivies vs. just enlisting more privates and having them do it? I suppose the total cost of a pvt. including training, health care, housing etc. , on a one to one basis, MAY be more expensive than contracting that job out, but I dont know. I wonder how the numbers work.

Apparently the nice part of contractors is that when peace breaks out, the Gov.t doesn't have to pay them.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
He could keep that topic to size fairly easily. Just look at one aspect; contractors as security, or contractors in the field as technical support, or contractors teaching the native forces, for example. (It's kind of scary to find out just how many contractors are bebopping around our "military" bases and ships, and just how much they're doing.)

Mind elaborating for me?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've got nothing that I could give you on an internet forum (besides public sources that everyone else can provide you with as well) without getting in trouble. But if you decide to do a report on any of these topics, feel free to PM me to get my phone # to talk about this further: Counter-insurgency, counter and anti terrorism, unconventional warfare, target acquisition, intelligence (recon, surveillance, etc.), Ranger team tactics and missions. With any of the above topics, let's just say that I can get you in touch with the right people for an interview and some resources. Keep in mind that there will be a lot that can't be talked about; but the public information is interesting enough.

C.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've got nothing that I could give you on an internet forum (besides public sources that everyone else can provide you with as well) without getting in trouble. But if you decide to do a report on any of these topics, feel free to PM me to get my phone # to talk about this further: Counter-insurgency, counter and anti terrorism, unconventional warfare, target acquisition, intelligence (recon, surveillance, etc.), Ranger team tactics and missions. With any of the above topics, let's just say that I can get you in touch with the right people for an interview and some resources. Keep in mind that there will be a lot that can't be talked about; but the public information is interesting enough.

C.

I might if I cann't find anything better. While getting an interview would be freakin awesome, and defenitly help my grade, I'm not sure I want to go that far.

Latest Discussions