Lrrp

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thought this was cool; LRRPs were in the news (BBC) a long time ago (which never happens): http://www.pbase.com/kalashnikov/image/52304276

I just think it's cool because I know some of these guys. I also think it's funny because for political correctness after Vietnam, the U.S. changed the name from LRRP to LRRS (Long Range Recon Surviellance), even though they pretty much end up doing the same thing on deployments.

Anyway, found this and just thought I'd share.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That also begs the question as to whether or not the article is real, or doctored up.

It really could be real, as LRRP and LRRS teams do exist (although, I don't know about the UN having such teams), and that might be something that a media source would write about them. But the photos? I don't know, but after I posted it and looked again, I am smelling a fake...

:idunno:

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Went through LRSD tryouts for the 25th ID. Being the eyes & ears of the entire division they get all of the high speed schools. I was a private at the time & really didn't stand a chance. Only tabed Soldiers CPL rank or above were chosen.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to admit that something seems odd to me too. It seems strange that the UN would be able to convince any nations to allow them access to this type of soldier, and to mix and match soldiers from different nations in one unit (maybe I'm wrong about that, but that's the idea I got from the article), you know what I mean.

The photos could be from anywhere really. They look like some shots I have seen of Australian troops operating in the north of Australia (different uniforms though). I don't know, they felt a bit, archival to me.

I have to agree though, it is just the sort of thing that the media would write about, but, in this case, I don't know.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have to admit that something seems odd to me too. It seems strange that the UN would be able to convince any nations to allow them access to this type of soldier, and to mix and match soldiers from different nations in one unit (maybe I'm wrong about that, but that's the idea I got from the article), you know what I mean.

The photos could be from anywhere really. They look like some shots I have seen of Australian troops operating in the north of Australia (different uniforms though). I don't know, they felt a bit, archival to me.

I have to agree though, it is just the sort of thing that the media would write about, but, in this case, I don't know.

Well, I know NATO had LRRPs, and there are International LRRP schools, so the US isn't the only one with this type of soldier per say; but I agree with you. LRRS/LRRPs are bad *** and everything, but the article itself does seem doctored up, which kind of makes me sorry I posted it...

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also, worth mentioning, that when LRRP/LRRS does something, credit goes to someone else. It's part of keeping a low profile. That's why you never really hear about these units from the media.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lets see if this works, if it does read the date on the picture. You just have to love tiger stripes in the mountains of Viet Nam. :)

Attachments

• $lewishilltop.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 176
OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep. Long time and a lot of pounds ago.

Holy ****! That's pretty cool, man. You have no idea how much respect myself and my colleagues have for Vietnam vets in general, but especially LRRPs. Because of the low profile and other things, you guys often don't get the credit, and are sometimes stepped on. It still happens with LRRS units who struggle with decisions made above the chain.

Anyway, just know that there are a whole bunch of us who highly revere you and your battle buddies.

C.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool, ya know though, it's funny looking back. When I was in Nam I was just a grunt doing my job. I went to a Viet Namese language school and Recon Replacement training in San Onefre, Ca before going over. After I came back I went through Ranger School, Jump School, Jump Master School, and Path Finder school. I did cold weather training in Alaska and I did an ocean jump off of Key West with an MC1-1. I spent 10 years in and NEVER WENT BACK INTO COMBAT. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ended up getting out because of frustration and boredom.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cool, ya know though, it's funny looking back. When I was in Nam I was just a grunt doing my job. I went to a Viet Namese language school and Recon Replacement training in San Onefre, Ca before going over. After I came back I went through Ranger School, Jump School, Jump Master School, and Path Finder school. I did cold weather training in Alaska and I did an ocean jump off of Key West with an MC1-1. I spent 10 years in and NEVER WENT BACK INTO COMBAT. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ended up getting out because of frustration and boredom.

It seems to me like most are just doing there jobs, and don't even think much about it. Especially LRRP/LRRS. The attitude is like, "eh, SF or Ranger Bat guys are cooler, we just go out and do our best with what we got." Most don't realize that if your LRRP/LRRS, your pretty darned cool too.

:)

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to echo Cruentus on this one! The first folks I looked up to in the military were the LRRP from Vietnam! Most folks have no idea what you guys did!!!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Crue said it best in post#11 above, so there's not a lot to add :D. Nice to see that your swastika was the positive one too, Wade :tup:.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, it's the sign for Buddha. When I first got there I was being taken out to our base camp and we passed a building with a "Swastika" on it. I was really surprised because I never knew that the Nazi's had been in Viet Nam. Anyway, it was explained to me that it was a Buddhist religious symbol. The Swastika is a well know good luck charm in India. Any hoo, I was given this one after a fire fight in Quang Nam by a Buddhist Monk. Our team kinda of saved his and a couple others asses when some NVA came by while we were in the area looking to cause a bit of mischief. We dissuaded them of the idea. :) Ah, life is good when you are young and still bullet proof. About a month later I found out that was no longer the case, oh well.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, what's the significance of that? What makes it a positive one?

I was going to say, Hitler stole the symbol from the Buddhists and corrupted it. Didn't know Wade's personal story on that, but the symbol goes back a lot further then Nazism in Buddhism and in some sections of Native American culture.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lets see if this works, if it does read the date on the picture. You just have to love tiger stripes in the mountains of Viet Nam. :)

Yep. Long time and a lot of pounds ago.

Actually, it's the sign for Buddha. When I first got there I was being taken out to our base camp and we passed a building with a "Swastika" on it. I was really surprised because I never knew that the Nazi's had been in Viet Nam. Anyway, it was explained to me that it was a Buddhist religious symbol. The Swastika is a well know good luck charm in India. Any hoo, I was given this one after a fire fight in Quang Nam by a Buddhist Monk. Our team kinda of saved his and a couple others asses when some NVA came by while we were in the area looking to cause a bit of mischief. We dissuaded them of the idea. :) Ah, life is good when you are young and still bullet proof. About a month later I found out that was no longer the case, oh well.

Just goes to show, some of those older bad-*** bikers of today, REALLY are! Hats off to you Wade!

Latest Discussions