Military Krav Maga given too much credit

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Who would you least like to fight?
A. A civilian who's been studying martial arts for three years.
B. An Israeli solider who's been in the army three years and seen combat
Now, let's say that civillian has spent those three years as a professional NHB competitor. Who would you prefer to fight?

I'll take the grunt who hasn't used CQB since boot.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the Bujinkan, we use this one:

fight a soldier who knows how to fight?

fight someone who knows a deadly martial art and just wants to get away?

pick your poison. I'll take the fighter any day....

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shogun's got a point.

But as for a civilian VS soldier, I'd go for the soldier. Like Jerry said, not as proficient. A lot of people in Israel served in combat units, it's not too intimidating.

~ Loki

G

gorak

Hi

Do you know something about Eyal Yanilov and IKMF? They have Military instructors courses around a world? What is conection with Haim?

/Gorak

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
gorak said:
Hi

Do you know something about Eyal Yanilov and IKMF? They have Military instructors courses around a world? What is conection with Haim?

/Gorak
IKMF is one of the organizations that emerged from Imi's original teachings, headed by Yanilov. From my understanding, Yanilov is all about making a fortune abroad by commercializing KM.

Military instructors don't belong to any KM organization, they belong to the IDF. Though there are organization-based instructors who served as KM instructors in the military.

Eyal Yanilov is head of IKMF, like Haim Zut is head of Kapap.

~ Loki

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this thread became more about which would prevail in H2H, a combat hardened soldier or a civilian martial artist, rather than a comparison between Krav Maga, the FULL art, and the basic combative course taught to IDF recruits. I think the thread starter had a point that the long term courses open to civilians as well as IDF and LE have more breadth and depth. I think there's some truth in this. However, and this is a REAL question for me; the KM tapes marketed in the U.S. advocate a punch, yes, a punch, to the face in their handgun disarm. I suspect the original IDF course utilized an eye gouge or throat strike instead. Just my humble opinion. In any case I enjoyed viewing the American KM tapes and learned more than a few things from them. I could easily see how someone could get to a higher self-defence level by studying KM for a few months hardcore as compared to a year, or five, at a local strip mall sport karate or TKD school.

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I think the thread starter had a point that the long term courses open to civilians as well as IDF and LE have more breadth and depth.
It was actually, thank you.

However, and this is a REAL question for me; the KM tapes marketed in the U.S. advocate a punch, yes, a punch, to the face in their handgun disarm. I suspect the original IDF course utilized an eye gouge or throat strike instead.
The original technique is a punch.

~ Loki

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A punch is fast and distracting. I could see it. An eye jab is quick, but not an eye gouge. Eyes and the throat are also smaller targets.

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny thing. I was at my grandmaster's today and he was just mentioning how every former IDF infantryman goes to the America and automatically becomes a Krav Maga instructor, which people take to be legitimate due to his IDF training. It reminded me of this thread.

Latest Discussions