Michaeledward...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought you might be interested in this...

Attachments

• $Brule Brown.JPG
    $Brule Brown.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 350
  • $Dirty Brown 3.JPG
    $Dirty Brown 3.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 341
  • $Fish Breath 2.JPG
    $Fish Breath 2.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 354
  • $Lettin her go.JPG
    $Lettin her go.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 345

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice Fish!

Is that a rainbow? Looks like in the first photo.
How late were you fishing? Here in New Hampshire, we can fish until 2 hours after sunset. I think there a a couple of places that allow fishing for Brown's later than than.

You got me jonesn'. I have been out for a couple of weeks, and the last time I was out, I caught bass - yuck.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice fish! Here in Connecticut we are finally get rainbows back in the Farmington River.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Nice fish! Here in Connecticut we are finally get rainbows back in the Farmington River.

Why have there not been bows in the Farmington? Tempurature? I thought the Farmington was a Brown Trout habitat.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Nice Fish!

Danke!

Is that a rainbow? Looks like in the first photo.

Nope. This is the biggest brown that I caught last night. My friend caught one that was even bigger! His was pushing 30 inches!

How late were you fishing?

We started fishing around 8 pm and finished around 1:00. We would have stayed later, but a storm was moving in and my raingear was up in the van. Also, my headlamp was starting to run out of juice. Last night was part good fishing and part comedy.

Here in New Hampshire, we can fish until 2 hours after sunset. I think there a a couple of places that allow fishing for Brown's later than than.

Now that is just too bad...:uhyeah:

Up here we can stay up all night if we are crazy enough or have enough coffee or don't have two little kids that will get you out of bed at 6:00 am regardless of how late you were out the night before.

Anyway, the river we were fishing is called the Bois Brule and it flows into Lake Superior, so it takes runs of big browns, steelhead, and salmon every fall and spring. I hit it pretty regularly in both of these seasons and lately, its consumed any time I would have normally devoted to hunting. Fishing or trout is so damned fun I can hardly stand it!

The section of the river that we are fishing closes Sept 30th because the thing is filling up with these big lake run fish...so basically, the fishing just keeps on getting better from here on out! Typically, I'll head out with my flyrod and fish the largest poppers or mouse-looking fly I can find or, if I'm feeling lazy, I'll bring out my spinning gear and fish black hula poppers, black jitterbugs, or black/gold or black/silver jointed rapalas. Whatever you fish has to be big because its dark and the fish are big.

The best nights are when its cloudy and rainy and very little natural light because then the fish basically strike at anything rolling across the surface. The strikes are absolutely magnificent. Imagine grabbing a dinning platter big enough to serve a turkey and heaving it into the water! That is what is sounds like with a 30 in to (goddess forbid!) a 40 in Brown nails a surface bait. Sometimes, the fish are so active out there that it sounds like an army of beavers are slapping their tails.

And then there is always the chance that you'll nail a big chinook...it's only happened to me once and I never saw the fish because it spooled me.

You got me jonesn'. I have been out for a couple of weeks, and the last time I was out, I caught bass - yuck.

I thought I'd catch yer interest with these little beasties...:)

And, don't feel to bad, I start school on Tuesday, so my fishing plans are going to be on hold for a week or two. I'll be praying for rain though...

And don't be knockin on the bass! I did real well up in the BWCA this summer. I released a 26 inch smallmouth in Crooked in July...that was a big fish. And, if you can believe it, THAT fish had fresh tooth marks on it!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Got another one for ya...

Attachments

• $Brown Trout.JPG
    $Brown Trout.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 324

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That ain't too bad ... is that a brown too?

I was out on a little two acre fly fishing only pond this morning. Managed to get one nice 15" brookie. Straight from the hatcher. It was very difficult to bring any in this morning.

Next week, my fishing buddy and I have our final trip to the 'North Country' for the year. Most trout waters close 10/15 in New Hampshire.

It has been a soft year for me. I really didn't get out too much this year. Just one 10 day trip up north ... and a few trips to the local rivers. But they haven't produced very well this year.

I'm really looking forward to next week.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice fish. Been years since I went fishing....been dying to go on a real weekend fishing trip for years, since I read the works of Robert Traver. *sigh*.

Michael, catch a few monsters and post the pics. :)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That ain't too bad ... is that a brown too?

Yeah, its a brown. I wish I would have gotten a closer shot. This fish was really pretty. It's a lake-run brown from Lake Superior, so it is still very silvery.

I was out on a little two acre fly fishing only pond this morning. Managed to get one nice 15" brookie. Straight from the hatcher. It was very difficult to bring any in this morning.

Brookies are my favorite trout to target. I love their colors, particularly in the fall. Every once in a while we'll get a Coaster (a lake-run) in the river or along the shore. Those fish will go 2-3 lbs.

Next week, my fishing buddy and I have our final trip to the 'North Country' for the year. Most trout waters close 10/15 in New Hampshire.

Bring a camera and post some pics of your best fish! It'd be cool to see some scenery too!

It has been a soft year for me. I really didn't get out too much this year. Just one 10 day trip up north ... and a few trips to the local rivers. But they haven't produced very well this year.

As the kids have gotten older, I've been able to get out a little more. Otherwise, the last few years have been really soft. We'll have alot of good fishing all through the fall and through the winter up here. In October, I'll be hitting the rivers to steelhead. In November, I'll be able to toss spoons into the big lake for Lake Trout and Coho Salmon. Once freeze up hits, I'll be able to fish Chequamegon bay for a big mixed bag of Smallmouth bass, walleye, lake trout, salmon, brown trout and steelhead.

Ice fishing is going to be really fun this year. My little girl is old enough to come out and is always begging me to go fishing. She caught her first lake trout through the ice last winter. It ran about two pounds and tasted really good in the oven.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A kind note toward the President of the United States.

President Bush signed the "Partners for Fish and Wildlife Act' either yesterday or today. The Partners organization has been around for close to twenty years. They work extensively with private land owners to restore and maintain habitat for migratory birds and native fish populations. In signing this Act, the President requests that $75,000,000.00 annually be appropriated to assist with this program; for the next five years.

Of course, a Presidential request does not mean the funds will be appropriated. And the private land owners involved, quite probably are of substantial means already. But, any action taken to increase the visibility of the importance of our indiginous species is a benefit.

Hoping to see that money follow the statement of intent.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey ... I"m back.

It was a bit slow for an autumn trip. Between the three of us, I think we brought perhaps 25 fish to the net. Most were yearling rainbows, running about 10 to 12 inches. Dave and I both caught a respectable brook trout, the photo of mine is attached. This fish is my quarry. They are the most beautiful animal on the planet, I think. Just absolute jewels. And when it is autumn, spawning colors, hooked jaw, and over 14 inches, a true trophy.

Of course, there is always the story of the one that got away. I hooked and played this monster fish. At first, I thought it was a big brookie, but the colors weren't right. The colors looked more like a salmon, but it didn't fight or run like a landlock. Also, it was fat, not the usual torpedo shape. I retrieved the fish to my feet. I was pulling my camera out of my vest, and the fish fidgeted. I managed to snap a photo, but you can only see a portion of the shape. And then, it shook itself loose.

As I think about it, I figure it had to be a lake trout. It fought like a laker. But, it was maybe two miles away from the lake. And the river flows were very low. It was big ... maybe 20+ inches, I'm guessing it would have run 4 pounds or so. Of course, that is not big for lake trout, but when you think you have brookie, that's huge.

Anyhow, here's the one I caught that was worth taking a photo of. Dave snapped this picture from the bridge under which he was caught.

I have, perhaps two days of fishing locally before the season ends.

Attachments

• $Fall Brookie.jpg
    $Fall Brookie.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 271
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That is a gorgeous fish, Michael. What river were you fishing and what lake could the lakers have been running out of?

You should see the "Coasters" we see north of these parts on Lake Superior. They have a bit more silver mixed in and they tend to run rather big, with two to three pounds being common. I fished these up by the Nipigon river a few years ago. Awesome. Just awesome.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We fish the Connecticut River, near its source.

Back in the early 1800's, the boundary of the United States and Canada was set to be the source of the Connecticut River. So if you look at a map of New Hampshire, you see where the river starts, the border with Canada.

There are several deep lakes at the headwaters of the river. Damns were built for regulating water flow and power generation. The 'First Connecticut Lake' has a bottom release, which keeps the river tempurature very cool all summer long. I can fish for trout below this damn in mid August. I caught my first lake trout last summer right below this damn.

About five miles downstream, is 'Lake Francis', another big, deep lake. The landlock will run up from both these rivers in the spring and fall. Below lake Francis, there is about another 20 or 25 miles of good trout water, but I don't fish that stretch often. After that, the river warms up and slows down, and becomes more of bass, perch & pickrel environment.

I have heard of big 'Salter' brook trout. I would assume those are like your 'Coaster' fish. Would be fun.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have heard of big 'Salter' brook trout. I would assume those are like your 'Coaster' fish. Would be fun.

Those are similar, however, coasters are actually their own sub-species. Right now, they are rare down in my parts, but they are more common up north. Down here we have too many steelhead...not such a bad thing! ;)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just got some pics back (finally) from a steelhead fishing trip I took this fall.

This series shows Lake Superior as we were leaving in the morning, the Brule River as we walked down the trail, and myself right after we had a quick lunch on the shore.

Attachments

• $Ready to Go.JPG
    $Ready to Go.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 186
  • $Misty Brule.JPG
    $Misty Brule.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 184
  • $Superior Morning 1.JPG
    $Superior Morning 1.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 187
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This next series shows my catch of the day...

The first two are steelhead that I released. They both were roughly the same size. I caught them on back to back casts with a gold #3 Mepps. The fishes' silver color fades as they spend more time in the river. We call these guys Chromers, which means they just started their run.

The third is a salmon that I brought home for dinner. There is nothing better then freshly caught and grilled coho...

Attachments

• $Chromer 1a.jpg
    $Chromer 1a.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 189
  • $Chromer 2a.JPG
    $Chromer 2a.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 196
  • $Salmon for Dinner 1.JPG
    $Salmon for Dinner 1.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 185

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gee, those are some nice fish.

You've got me itchen for fishin'. We have some water that is open all year long here in the Granite State, but I'm not certain where its legal to fish this time of year, and where it is not. So, my gear gets packed up when most of the water closes on October 15th.

We've had a couple of days that hit the mid 60's this past week. I understand that there was a bit of activity on the water, and some trout actually taken in those open rivers.

The official opening day for most of the water in New Hampshire is January 1. I am hoping to get to the Newfound River this year. It's a tiny little river that is supposed to be pretty busy on January 1. All of the addicts who haven't fished in the prior 75 days make the trip, if it is passably warm.

So ... do you wade that river, or drift it?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods, there isn't much fishing action. Right now, its pretty much wait for ice up. Sure, I could go and pitch spoons into Lake Superior and maybe pop off a steelhead, laker, or coho, but it is damn cold. We are looking to start getting below zero tonight and it doesn't look to get any better until April.

With that being said, I'm looking forward to ice fishing. My daughter was asking me, on the way to dance class, when we could go ice fishing. She's five and last year, she caught her first fish through the ice on her barbie rod, so she's hooked.

Anyway, about the Brule, when I fish, I usually wade. My approach is to cover lots of land and fish the fishy looking spots. Although, when the waters muddy, I'll pretty much gun everywhere until I get something.

The Brule is an awesome river to float though. The upper reaches have a number of rapids that can be quite fun and the lower reaches broaden out and flatten out into your classic trout stream.

I'll be hitting the river in the spring quite a bit...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I got back from Briar Lake today. This is a little trout lake way up in the boondocks. I took my daughter for the opening weekend festivities this year. The snow was gently drifting down and we had a fine ole time.

Attachments

• $Our Catch 1.JPG
    $Our Catch 1.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 168
  • $Our Catch 2.JPG
    $Our Catch 2.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 172

Latest Discussions