Mesopotamian sculpture sells for record 57 million dollars

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mesopotamian sculpture sells for record 57 million dollars
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071206/ts_afp/entertainmentartusantiquityauction
Wed Dec 5, 8:36 PM ET

NEW YORK (AFP) - A tiny and extremely rare 5,000-year-old white limestone sculpture from ancient Mesopotamia sold for 57.2 million dollars in New York on Wednesday, smashing records for both sculpture and antiquities.

The carved Guennol Lioness, measuring just over eight centimeters (3 1/4 inches) tall, was described by Sotheby's auction house as one of the last known masterworks from the dawn of civilization remaining in private hands.

"It was an honor for us to handle The Guennol Lioness, one of the greatest works of art of all time," Richard Keresey and Florent Heintz, the experts in charge of the sale, said in a joint statement.

"Before the sale, a great connoisseur of art commented to us that he always regarded the figure as the 'finest sculpture on earth' and it would appear that the market agreed with him," they said.

Five different bidders, three on the telephone and two in the room, competed for the sculpture. The successful buyer was identified only as an English buyer who wished to remain anonymous.

The sale easily broke the previous record for the highest price for a sculpture at auction, which had stood at 29.1 million dollars and was set just last month at Sotheby's in New York by Picasso's "Tete de Femme (Dora Maar)."

The amounts of money some people are willing to pay for a little piece of rock.
Ok, ok it's an exquisitely carved piece of rock and dated about 5000 years old ... but honestly.
Wonder what it's re-sale value is ?

Attachments

• $57mil lion.jpg
    $57mil lion.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 111

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw this! Extravagant, but one of the oldest pieces of art around...I don't know what to say!

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its an astounding figurine.

57 million? Sure why not. Its at least 5000 years old and beautiful. But its true value lies in the fact that it is a glimpse into the mind and perception of a person from a culture that will never appear again. It is something that can truly be called unique. From my perspective it is priceless.

But I do have to ask. What is the lioness doing? Is it supposed to be in a bodybuilding contest or something?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The amounts of money some people are willing to pay for a little piece of rock.
Ok, ok it's an exquisitely carved piece of rock and dated about 5000 years old ... but honestly.
Wonder what it's re-sale value is ?

Let me check the book on my comics and get back to you. ;)

The answer to this and the Rolls Royce that recently sold for 7+ Million, is that it sells for what people are willing to pay for it in an open market.

Take a house that three years ago could be sold for $190k is now going for $150k with same or better condition. But no one wants to buy so the market is down.

In the case of art, some buy for investment. Some buy so they can add to "THEIR" collection. Others buy it for they like it. I have some Henri Peter including a 7'x4' original of his. Why? Because I made an offer it was not accepted. They came back and counter offered with something I could live with. I thought it was a good deal as I like the art work. Others look at it say I was crazy, because of the size or because of colors or what have you.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Art is in the soul/spirit/essence of the viewer. Otherwise it is just a hunk of metal or rock or wood or pigments with oil on some surface. :D ;)

Latest Discussions