Memo ... Think before opening mouth!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The TV anchor who unwittingly broadcast fake, racist names of the pilots flying the ill-fated Asiana Airlines Flight 214 issued an apology Saturday as debate over the incident continued.

The segment on Friday at noon that referred to two of the pilots as "Captain Sum Ting Wong," and "Wi Tu Lo," has gone viral and drawn heavy criticism on the Internet.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...erious-mistakes-made-20130713,0,4022772.story
Intelligence is obviously not a prerequisite to become a newsreader! :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
San Diego, go F yourself! :lfao:

That's a scene right out of Anchor Man!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I have seen both NBC and Fox newscasts on this, and it seems neither wanted to repeat the names incorrectly given. Now I see why. I would presume the intern has been fired. Appropriate if so.

It is a wasted opportunity for the intern. Internships aren't always easy to get, and if the intern is a good worker an internship of one or more years can easily lead to a job in the agency where the internship took place, if not another.

Wasted opportunity due to a display of apparently gross stupidity. But it also speaks of a news crew too anxious to get the names out first, so not looking more closely.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Someone didn't do their show prep...

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think I have seen both NBC and Fox newscasts on this, and it seems neither wanted to repeat the names incorrectly given. Now I see why. I would presume the intern has been fired. Appropriate if so.

It is a wasted opportunity for the intern. Internships aren't always easy to get, and if the intern is a good worker an internship of one or more years can easily lead to a job in the agency where the internship took place, if not another.

Wasted opportunity due to a display of apparently gross stupidity. But it also speaks of a news crew too anxious to get the names out first, so not looking more closely.
The intern was only given the job of verifying the names. It should never have gone that far. Anyone over the age of eight would guess it was a joke.

Now, as a result, the lawyers are in for their bit.

SEOUL, South Korea - Asiana plans to sue a California television station that mistakenly aired fake, racially offensive names for the pilots of the flight that crashed last week in San Francisco, the airline announced Monday.
The Korean carrier said it had selected a U.S. law firm and will soon file a petition with the courts on the grounds of defamation.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...over-racially-offensive-fake-pilot-names?lite
:asian:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The intern was only given the job of verifying the names. It should never have gone that far. Anyone over the age of eight would guess it was a joke.

Now, as a result, the lawyers are in for their bit.

:asian:

Quick study...
Maybe they get enough to buy a new bird...I hope it's Boeing...

Latest Discussions