Mel vs. Roman

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel Gibson's career is in the tank because of his alcohol fueled, hate filled rants. However, many actors and actresses not only defended, but will still work with director Roman Polanski, a man who drugged and then sexually assaulted a 13 year old girl. I think Mel Gibson needs to get treatment and help with his various problems. I guess I have to ask, why would anyone give Roman Polanski the time of day? I bring up this topic because Mel Gibson has a new movie coming out and he was recently kept out of the new movie "hangover 2." How many actors from hangover 2 would still work with Polanski?

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mel Gibson's career is in the tank because of his alcohol fueled, hate filled rants. However, many actors and actresses not only defended, but will still work with director Roman Polanski, a man who drugged and then sexually assaulted a 13 year old girl. I think Mel Gibson needs to get treatment and help with his various problems. I guess I have to ask, why would anyone give Roman Polanski the time of day? I bring up this topic because Mel Gibson has a new movie coming out and he was recently kept out of the new movie "hangover 2." How many actors from hangover 2 would still work with Polanski?
Mel Gibson struck his girlfriend/wife while she was holding his child and later condoned his actions because she was "bleeding him dry". He's a scumbag pure and simple. He made untold millions from his career and now that bhis career is dead, if he doesn't have any save for his "retirement", then who cares?

Roman Polanski is a rapist...a CHILD RAPIST, pure and simple. The ectors who have rallied around him are scumbags also, the likes of Pierce Brosnan, Bebra Wonger and the rest and pure filth.

This situation just goes to show you that Hollywood circles are full of hypocrisy and malevolance. Gibson should be treted just like any other wife beating drunkan thug and thrown in jail. Polanski, should be locked up in federal prison and the key thrown away!

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll second that. Although, with treatment, and a lot of work, I think Mel can get better. That alcohol is a terrible thing. I also think that rape should recieve a life sentence. the odds of a sexual predator re-offending are way too high to let them loose on society.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do you know Gibson's "rants" were alcohol fueled? Prescription drugs can have similar effects and the anti-smoking drug Chantix has been known to cause people to go off the deep end, so to speak. One of the comments he made during one of this rants was that she was going to "make him start smoking again".

This conversation came up at the local VFW, and the bartender mentioned her husband was on Chantix and he got extremely mean while taking it. She told him she would rather he smoke than to put up with his craziness while taking the medication.

Anyway, I first heard of the Chantix possibility on a podcast called No Agenda. I think some of the things they cover are kind of out there, and they get some facts wrong occasionally, but it is an interesting show nonetheless.

mel_g.png

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It could have been drug fueled or drug and alcohol fueled. Alcohol came to my mind because of his rant against the police when he left that bar when he had finished working on Apocalypto. Mel needs some real help regardless. I hope he gets some, I have enjoyed his work but there is no excuse for doing the things he did.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
what was a 13yr old doing there anyways? and did he know she was 13? and what was the legal age in the state at that time?

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You would need to look up the details, to get an accurate description of the events. When the court battle over deportation began last year I read some about it at Bighollywood.com. From what I remember, the 13 year old was the daughter of a prostitute that Jack Nicholson hired. When he went upstairs with her, Polanski was left downstairs with the girl. He forced her to drink wine and take some pills and then tried to perform various acts on her in a hot tub. She told him no, he didn't stop. That is what I recall. You can find out more from the court record. He was convicted and before he was sentenced he fled the country. They tried to get him back here last year. This all happened a couple years after polanski's wife, Sharon Tate was killed by the Manson family. I'm not excusing him here, just putting it near the right decade. I believe he did know she was 13. Polanski has been accused by other actresses, in Europe, of various forced activity.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, Roman Polanski has the reputation of liking them young....

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gibson, said bad things, acted like an ***.
Polanski, drugged and raped a thirteen year old.
That Gibson is pilloried and Polanski hailed, really says something, and it isn't something good.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That Gibson is pilloried and Polanski hailed, really says something, and it isn't something good.

Well, people acting like jackasses afflict everybody around them.
And most people are not 13 yo girls...

FWIW, I don't recall a Polanski film that I cared for. I think he directed a somewhat funny Vampire parody once...

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They're both scum (by their actions).

I don't see that we should forgive Mel his transgressions based on the fact that someone else has committed a more serious crime.

That so many (especially the Hollywood crowd) have overlooked or pardoned Polanski for this only speaks to their own hypocrisy.

MJ was, IMO, treated similarly; a little hush money (okay, actually a LOT of hush money) and all the kids he'd almost certainly abused over the years got swept under the carpet and everyone gushes about what an amazing artist he was. Personally, I don't buy it, even though (unlike Polanski) he was never convicted.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MJ was, IMO, treated similarly; a little hush money (okay, actually a LOT of hush money) and all the kids he'd almost certainly abused over the years got swept under the carpet and everyone gushes about what an amazing artist he was. Personally, I don't buy it, even though (unlike Polanski) he was never convicted.

What you call "hush money" most people call a "shakedown". Martin Bashir's hackjob interviews with him made it easier to get money out of him, and we only found out later that the interview video was edited in a way to make Jackson out to be bad. Jackson's biggest problems was that he was eccentric and trusted the wrong people. Because of this and him being worth more dead than alive (especially to others), many people think he suffered the ultimate shakedown.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What you call "hush money" most people call a "shakedown". Martin Bashir's hackjob interviews with him made it easier to get money out of him, and we only found out later that the interview video was edited in a way to make Jackson out to be bad. Jackson's biggest problems was that he was eccentric and trusted the wrong people. Because of this and him being worth more dead than alive (especially to others), many people think he suffered the ultimate shakedown.

I did not see the interview. I am not even mildly interested in the MJ story.
But for what it counts somebody interested in these sort of things (survivor of child abuse and rape) and doing research on her own said his actions were picture perfect predator behavior. But then again, there was a lot wrong in the situation...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
What makes everyone think Mel is a pariah? Sure, the guys from Hangover 2 didn't want to work with him, but that hasn't stopped all the rest of the people involved with Mel's movies before, during, and after his breakdowns from working with him. He has a movie coming out soon, The Beaver, with Jodie Foster. Seems like ol' Mel still has plenty of friends.

As for Roman, it's another manifestation of the errors of thinking surrounding despicable people who produce great works. Most people cannot easily reconcile a Great Artist with an Awful Scumbag, we tend to not be able to compartmentalize people, they are either all bad or all good. If they produce something Good, the rest of them must be Good too. If they are Bad, they must only produce Bad things. You see it in politics and other arenas constantly. So with Roman his admittedly great movies must mean he's a good guy, hence the poor thinking we see.

Of course, ****** People who produce Great Works is actually pretty common. Ezra Pound was a poet of profound influence, and also a Nazi sympathizer and collaborator.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Gibson punched his girlfriend in the face when she was carrying jis child. He then told her she deserved it in one of his telephone rants, he and Polanski are scumbags!

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
They ARE both scumbags. But why the "Polanski love" by some in Tinseltown?

Then again why do people wear "Free Mumia" shirts??

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Still was a terrorist and murderer.

I suppose - like so many points in history - it's a matter of perspective: the winners decide the story their history tells. I am sure many glorified men in history were in a similar situation.

But interestingly enough, I was just musing about how people who sat out to see the world seem to champion the underdog, the unwashed masses...
In any case, history is written by those who place a marginal value on human life...no matter the side.
EDIT: there are a few laudable exceptions, like Ghandi, but even his story is drenched in blood...

(also interesting is in itself of little value, it's just that it's - well - interesting)