Mel Gar-Leopard Kung Fu?

OP
LanJie

LanJie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has an e-mail address for Dave Cater, the editor of Inside Kung-Fu magazine. The magazine's official page does not have any e-mail and I would like to get Mr. Cater's opinion of Mel-Gar.
Thank you.
Regards,
Steve

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has an e-mail address for Dave Cater, the editor of Inside Kung-Fu magazine. The magazine's official page does not have any e-mail and I would like to get Mr. Cater's opinion of Mel-Gar.
Thank you.
Regards,
Steve

You can email the publisher through the magazines website. I'm sure they could get you to the editor. :)

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have seen one classmate of mine learn Wudan Shaolin leopard fist but he was the only one and this does not have relationship with the Mel Gar "system"? After all of this time in the art, unless an article provides a geneology tree of a "rare" system or a reknowned source describes it, I am usually skeptical. Well know systems such as ying jow pai, fu jow pai, ba mei, long fist, hung gar, choy li fut, hop gar, etc. all have well documented histories and trees. As a matter of fact, as we all know, a sign of legitimacy in one's art is the ability to trace lineage back at least 4 generations and by running the forms,applications, and fighting well, a true master can recognize another master's style in his/her students' performance of it. That is one reason why at CMA competitions one does not tell style, name, or form. If it is a well known and verified system, the judges will know! As far as Kung fu mag v. Inside Kung Fu, I have met Gene Ching several times, a very honorable man, and he would never comment on the editorial policies of the other mag.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One other comment...Dave Cater is very good at stirring controversy between practitioners of styles but has never heavily trained in the CMA himself so his opinion of a style would be superficial at best.

OP
LanJie

LanJie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
(I submitted my comments originally to Gene Ching instead of Dave Cater and I have apologized to him on his forum.)

Any good researcher should be able to give the sources for article. I think that if Inside Kung fu comes across an article that was submitted to them by an author that . . .

Performs questionable techniques
Provides no contact information for a questionable style (i.e. Mel gar taught by a master of Dragon Tiger Eagle style?)
And has written other questionable articles.

They should not publish the article.

The reason for providing good sources for any article gives the reader the opportunity to examine the original source material and this is only reasonable.

Regards,
Steve

emilyrandel

White Belt
Reaction score
In the most current issue of Inside Kung Fu there was an article about a rare southern style of kung fu called Mel Gar. This style was supposedly a leopard kung fu style that is no longer practiced by itself.

It is taught by Grandmaster Chi-Chung Kwong who is a teacher of Lung Fu Ying Pai (Dragon Tiger Eagle system?).

This article was written by Jason William McNeil. This person is a freelance writer and have yet to find out the type and amount of training he has?

I have searched on the web and found nothing about Grandmaster Chi-Chung Kwong and Lung Fu Ying Pai (Dragon Tiger Eagle system).

I was wondering if anyone has found any information about this system or about Jason William McNeil's background?

Regards,

Steve

I actually train under Grandmaster Chi-Chung Kwong. He does indeed teach in the style Dragon Tiger Eagle. There is a youtube channel online. I would really sudgest you check it out it is a really good source of information.
where is the school located?

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In the most current issue of Inside Kung Fu there was an article about a rare southern style of kung fu called Mel Gar. This style was supposedly a leopard kung fu style that is no longer practiced by itself.

It is taught by Grandmaster Chi-Chung Kwong who is a teacher of Lung Fu Ying Pai (Dragon Tiger Eagle system?).

This article was written by Jason William McNeil. This person is a freelance writer and have yet to find out the type and amount of training he has?

I have searched on the web and found nothing about Grandmaster Chi-Chung Kwong and Lung Fu Ying Pai (Dragon Tiger Eagle system).

I was wondering if anyone has found any information about this system or about Jason William McNeil's background?

Regards,

Steve
Mel Gar sounds like a fishy style. Like the alligator gar style.

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mel Gar sounds like a fishy style. Like the alligator gar style.
There is a fish called an alligator gar with tons of sharp teeth. And we still don't know who Mel is.