Questions about my "oblique kicks"

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First things first. In Jow Ga Kung fu we refer to this kick as a "no-shadow kick" or "shadowless kick" but most of you know this kick as "oblique kicks". For me I rather use the Jow Ga name because the name helps to know which system the person is from. But it's all the same mechanics just each system has it's own name for it.

Now that's out of the way. I'm creating a video explaining the mechanics of this. I normally would have asked for questions before the video, But some of you guys are really driving me crazy with this one so I threw on some shorts and did a rush video of in the same manner that would do if I was teaching this technique in a school to adults.

Please ask your questions here so that I can try to address some of these questions while I'm editing the video.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
From your previous video I can see what your kick is and pretty much how you do it - no argument about that being what you class that kick as and how you do it.

The whole thing in the other thread was that the way you do that single kick isn't the only right way to kick in that fashion.

It's very probably the right way to do it the way you do it within your system.

But other systems have kicks that are superficially similar but aren't quite the same.

They're not wrong, just different - and the difference means that they're correct within their system.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh one thing you guys should know. I always teach as if someone doesn't know squat about what I'm talking about. I do this because I don't know the extent of a person's knowledge so I explain from the bottom. I'm saying this because I don't want you to watch this video and think "JowGaWolf is teaching us like we are stupid." The truth is, it's just better for me to teach like that because then I'm less likely to move fast and skip over important pieces simply because I thought "everyone knows it"

So don't take it personally, it's just my method of teaching. Teach like your students are totally clueless. The only way that I don't do this if I already know a student has had the lecture then I can use previous lessons to pin point concepts. like. "remember when I said." or "remember when I showed". if the student remembers then I don't have to give the lecture. If they don't remember then they get the lecture again.

So I just want to make that clear lol. I don't want people to catch feelings up in here thinking that I'm personally attacking anyone.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
he whole thing in the other thread was that the way you do that single kick isn't the only right way to kick in that fashion.
I've said it before. It's not the kick that bothers me. It's the defense of "what you can do" against an Oblique kick. I think the defense is wrong because it makes incorrect assumptions about how to use the oblique kick. You can do a kick 100% correct and still have incorrect assumptions about how to defend against the kick. And this is where my issue is.

When you throw this kick, you want to throw it while the person is bearing weight on the leg that you are kicking. If the person is bearing weight on that leg, then it's physically impossible to lift your leg for a leg check. So when I see someone say. "you can do a leg check" against it, then I know that's not true. The reason why that defense won't work because the kicker is waiting for you to bear weight on that leg so you can kick it.. I'll make a special vidoe on that for you. Going to do it now.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From your previous video I can see what your kick is and pretty much how you do it - no argument about that being what you class that kick as and how you do it.

The whole thing in the other thread was that the way you do that single kick isn't the only right way to kick in that fashion.

It's very probably the right way to do it the way you do it within your system.

But other systems have kicks that are superficially similar but aren't quite the same.

They're not wrong, just different - and the difference means that they're correct within their system.
Looks like I may be running into a bit of snag with this video in terms of "How Shane" does this kick. The problem is that I can't explain it without copying his video. So I may have to cover this one in real time.with a free online webinar for those who are interested in really seeing why those defenses don't work. I made a video with my showing why it doesn't work, but I need Shanes video as well so I can point out the deployment of the kick..

What's your time zone if you don't mind me asking. I need to get a feel for when I need to schedule this webinar so that you can attend. Don't worry it'll be free.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"shadowless kick" … When you throw this kick, you want to throw it while the person is bearing weight on the leg that you are kicking.
Thanks for bring up this kind technique discussion. IMO, this kind discussion can benefit to everybody.
There is no right way or wrong way to do this kick. Its just a trade off.

If you want the angle of your kick to be

- 45 degree downward, you need to raise your knee before the kick.
- parallel to the ground, you don't need to raise your knee before the kick.

The best time to do this kick is the moment that your opponent shifts his weigh on his leading leg. There may be just 1/2 second window and you have to catch it.

What's the best punching path when you stand still with both hands drop next to your knees? It's not to raise your hands next to your head and punch out. It's not raise your hand next to your waist and punch out. It's to punch out your hand right from your knee position.

This will fit the definition of "shadow less kick", or "shadow less punch", you don't see it comes in.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
45 degree downward, you need to raise your knee before the kick.
- parallel to the ground, you don't need to raise your knee before the kick.

The best time to do this kick is the moment that your opponent shifts his weigh on his leading leg.
LOL and this is why I like you. My video says the exact same thing lol. What time zone are you in" are you on the west coast?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like I may be running into a bit of snag with this video in terms of "How Shane" does this kick. The problem is that I can't explain it without copying his video. So I may have to cover this one in real time.with a free online webinar for those who are interested in really seeing why those defenses don't work. I made a video with my showing why it doesn't work, but I need Shanes video as well so I can point out the deployment of the kick..

What's your time zone if you don't mind me asking. I need to get a feel for when I need to schedule this webinar so that you can attend. Don't worry it'll be free.

I'll be honest about something, I haven't watched "how Shane" does this kick...

I've watched your previous video against the heavy bag laying on the floor, and I know a couple of other variations.

Having not watched his video I can't speak to the efficacy of 'his' defences, but what I can say is that a valid defence for one variant isn't necessarily any good against another.

I live somewhat near the prime meridian, so time zone would be GMT (+1 in the summer ;))

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've said it before. It's not the kick that bothers me. It's the defense of "what you can do" against an Oblique kick. I think the defense is wrong because it makes incorrect assumptions about how to use the oblique kick. You can do a kick 100% correct and still have incorrect assumptions about how to defend against the kick. And this is where my issue is.

When you throw this kick, you want to throw it while the person is bearing weight on the leg that you are kicking. If the person is bearing weight on that leg, then it's physically impossible to lift your leg for a leg check. So when I see someone say. "you can do a leg check" against it, then I know that's not true. The reason why that defense won't work because the kicker is waiting for you to bear weight on that leg so you can kick it.. I'll make a special vidoe on that for you. Going to do it now.

Thanks

Gotcha. Now I understand the video. Not impossible you just fall forward when you do it.