McDojo?

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Mr. Pierce when he lived in CA and taught at the Auburn Blvd. ATA school in Sacramento, CA during the early 1980's - so you and I probably have never met. It wasn't McDojang when he taught there.

My First instructor Chuck Glandville trained there before he moved up to the NW. And brought up GM Pierce after he recieved his 5th Degree in '86. The man still kicks tail, and no - he still does not run a "McDojang". He dropped out of the ATA in the mid 90's, and eventually started the Hwa-Rang Taekwondo Federation. Grand Master Andy Apho and Master Clint Robinson promoted him to his 8th Degree last July.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
My First instructor Chuck Glandville trained there before he moved up to the NW. And brought up GM Pierce after he recieved his 5th Degree in '86. The man still kicks tail, and no - he still does not run a "McDojang". He dropped out of the ATA in the mid 90's, and eventually started the Hwa-Rang Taekwondo Federation. Grand Master Andy Apho and Master Clint Robinson promoted him to his 8th Degree last July.

That's why the instructor can be more important than the association in determining the quality of instruction, folks. I can't imagine HIM having low standards anywhere.

Small world, eh? The last time I saw Mr. Pierce was circa 1991 when he visited Master Ahpo's Dojang where I was then a Tang Soo Do student! I doubt he recognized me (out of the hundreds of students he has taught) as he was leaving the Auburn Blvd. ATA as I was coming, but I certainly recognized him. Unfortunately, a number of personal considerations kept me from remaining at Master Ahpo's school for much more than a year.

Are Mr. Robinson and Master Ahpo associated now? That is a switch, although, IIRC they were always on good personal terms! Is Mr. Robinson in Master Ahpo's group now? I've had training from all three (Mr. Pierce, Mr. Robinson, Master Ahpo)!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I know from martial artists that McDojo's get bashed constantly, and maybe rightfully so. But, I can't help to wonder if doing what they're doing is completely bad. I mean, when I see the propogation of the arts, which I have loved, since a child, and the enthusiasm of the students, can they be all that bad?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
I know from martial artists that McDojo's get bashed constantly, and maybe rightfully so. But, I can't help to wonder if doing what they're doing is completely bad. I mean, when I see the propogation of the arts, which I have loved, since a child, and the enthusiasm of the students, can they be all that bad?

I agree that there is some value: some of the chain schools that don't have a great reputation in some ways, have brought many new students into the martial arts and many of those students have later branched off to become quite good.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
That's why the instructor can be more important than the association in determining the quality of instruction, folks. I can't imagine HIM having low standards anywhere.

Small world, eh? The last time I saw Mr. Pierce was circa 1991 when he visited Master Ahpo's Dojang where I was then a Tang Soo Do student! I doubt he recognized me (out of the hundreds of students he has taught) as he was leaving the Auburn Blvd. ATA as I was coming, but I certainly recognized him. Unfortunately, a number of personal considerations kept me from remaining at Master Ahpo's school for much more than a year.

Are Mr. Robinson and Master Ahpo associated now? That is a switch, although, IIRC they were always on good personal terms! Is Mr. Robinson in Master Ahpo's group now? I've had training from all three (Mr. Pierce, Mr. Robinson, Master Ahpo)!

GM Pierce is a man you will never forget, hu? I'm prowd to say he's my TKD and TKD business mentor.

They are and are not working together. I believe we are in the workings of a great agreement between the three, and a few others. GM Apho visits us one or twice a year and puts on a inner strength (chi) clinic. Master R and GM P have always been friends but GM P went more the way of the ITF while Master R did the WTF. I will be working out with GM Pierce today at 11:30, I'll ask him if he remembers you. And you are correct, he has had thousands of students, but he's got a great memory. I have invited him onto martial talk, but just doesn't have allot of time to spend online.

Latest Discussions