Mayweather vs McGregor

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McGregor leaned into his karate base

He doesn't have a karate base having never done it, his stand up is boxing. He started at 12 at the Crumlin Boxing club under Philip Sutcliffe.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
He won the first 3 rounds. He used his jab very effectively in those rounds. The judges gave round 4 to Mayweather but it and round 5 were pretty close. By round 6 is when Mayweather was opening up and it was going downhill for McGregor. The rules are so limiting in boxing that it was a little frustrating... Mayweather exploited them extremely well. Whenever McGregor had a good angle, Mayweather would ball up and turn away which would stop the strikes since you can't strike from behind in boxing.
Haven't watched the fight yet, so I will take you at your word.

But... isn't that the point? To know and use the rules of a competition in order to win? Seems like Mayweather recognized that the fight duration and pace would be different from what McGregor is accustomed to, and used that to his advantage. Go longer than most MMA matches, use the limited targets to deprive McGregor of opportunities to hit him, and capitalize on his own opportunities. There's a reason boxing has been called physical chess, the fight game, the sweet science...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But... isn't that the point? To know and use the rules of a competition in order to win? Seems like Mayweather recognized that the fight duration and pace would be different from what McGregor is accustomed to, and used that to his advantage. Go longer than most MMA matches, use the limited targets to deprive McGregor of opportunities to hit him, and capitalize on his own opportunities. There's a reason boxing has been called physical chess, the fight game, the sweet science...

That was my take from what Mayweather described as his strategy. He had said it would never go the distance, and if he believed that, he could afford to lose every scored round, and just win by KO/TKO. Seems a reasonable approach. He threw fewer punches, and scored with a much higher percentage, which seems in keeping with that idea.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'm surprised that conner was out fitnessed by a guy 12 years older than him, it seems clear that the strategy was to knock him over early rather than out last him

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All over the social media people who do neither boxing nor MMA are suddenly experts, it's ridiculous.

I don't know much about boxing or MMA. I'm not an expert. I'm not interested in either sport. I believe both Mayweather and McGregor are superb athletes, very good at what they do. I had no opinion about the outcome of the fight, didn't make a prediction, and don't care either way.

I think it's funny how many armchair experts, as you say, are suddenly very loud or very quiet, depending on their previous predictions, and so much butthurt going around today.

I think the sun came up today regardless of who won, and just like Game of Thrones (which I also have zero interest in) IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER what happened last night.

Not one thing that matters in this world changes because of it. Nothing. It's entertainment, nothing more. And not that entertaining when it comes down to it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mma fighter playing in a boxer ' s sandbox pretty much sums it up. Not sure why people expected a different outcome. To make the transition from an MMA mindset to a boxer mindset is not an easy task. On fighter had to fight in the other fighter's strength. Good payday but nothing more than one fighter testing out his skills and the other testing out his ability to analyze his opponent who doesn't have a boxer ' s mindset.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. From an MMA fighter mate of mine explaining the fight to her son.
"But McGregor did pretty well, though, didn't he? It took Mayweather 10 rounds to stop him".
"Well, kid, what you need to remember is the primary objective of professional fighting."
"To knock the other guy out...?"
"Nope. Guess again".
*pause* "...to make money?"...
"Uh huh. So think about that for a minute."

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm surprised that conner was out fitnessed by a guy 12 years older than him, it seems clear that the strategy was to knock him over early rather than out last him
It shouldn't surprise you if you've seen the diaz fights

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm not a McGregor or Mayweather fanboy or hater, so I don't think I have too much bias on it. I agree that's the goal...win under the rule set of the sport you're in. I think it just really highlighted the differences in the sports in the stand up game (let alone the grappling part).

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
What this fight confirms is that MMA and boxing are just to completely different sports.

Kinda like taking Usain Bolt and having him enter the 1600 meter against that sports best.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All professional sports have two aspects. One, they sell entertainment to fans. Two, the participants earn money.

That is all. No athlete would trade the money for a symbol like a ring, a belt, or a title. They compete if the money is right and that is all. It's a business.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
All professional sports have two aspects. One, they sell entertainment to fans. Two, the participants earn money.

That is all. No athlete would trade the money for a symbol like a ring, a belt, or a title. They compete if the money is right and that is all. It's a business.

Gotta get paid while your body will allow it.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The main objective in professional fight sports is money.
There are far more ways to win a professional fight than beating up the other person.
McGregor wasn't prepared to go 12 rounds. Not that he didn't train for it he simply wasn't prepared. Pro boxers spend several years preparing for 10 & 12 round fights not months. In the fight sports game there is a huge difference in time management and physical output management over 3-5 rounds vs 10-12 and it takes time to develop it.
Mayweather was smart and played the game using:
the rules...what the rules allowed as well as didn't allow,
physical output management,
time management,
He knew when to pressure, when and how to pick up points. (how to control the ring and pace of the fight)
McGregor's only chance was to get in an early KO or a lucky punch in the later rounds...didn't happen.
After he began to gas out in the 6th Mayweather was very patient started pressuring and then simply worn McGregor out and took the win.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I found the fight very entertaining. I enjoyed it more than I expected, and while Conor is a loud mouth who has no class, I'm glad he didn't embarrass himself.

Watching fights with a bunch of Canadian hockey players probably made it more fun.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It shouldn't surprise you if you've seen the diaz fights
ye has had a good few months to prepare for a 12 round fight, which he clearly didn't.
he was equal or a head at 6rounds and dead on his feet at round ten, that's a training issue.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
ye has had a good few months to prepare for a 12 round fight, which he clearly didn't.
he was equal or a head at 6rounds and dead on his feet at round ten, that's a training issue.
He was no where ahead. As has been shown he won 1 round from 2 judges and 3 rounds from the other he was no where the lead

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
The man went 10 against the best to ever do it professionally, having never done it professionally. Not only that, he made it competitive, it was not the mismatch literally every boxing pundit said it would be.

He did better against Floyd than 22 actual lifelong boxers that rose to be champion did. That IS a win in my eyes.

As for cardio, it is activity specific. Just because you can ride a bike 100 miles doesnt mean you can run 50, or swim ten. Change the order of those three activities and the truth remains truth. Of course someone that has boxed their whole life can do it longer than someone that hasnt. Just as within mma, grapplers gas striking, and strikers gas grappling, but not vice versa. Boxing is a wholly different activity than mma striking.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
He was no where ahead. As has been shown he won 1 round from 2 judges and 3 rounds from the other he was no where the lead
well that's some dodgy judging then as he blizts him for four rounds, the commentators on the BBC had him even or ahead

Streetfighter2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The man went 10 against the best to ever do it professionally, having never done it professionally. Not only that, he made it competitive, it was not the mismatch literally every boxing pundit said it would be.

He did better against Floyd than 22 actual lifelong boxers that rose to be champion did. That IS a win in my eyes.
Getting finished is a win? Lol competitive...yeah soooo competitive 1 round to 8 so close right. A 29 year old in his prime who's regularly training and fighting lost to a 40 year old who hasn't fought in 2 years and weighed less than him...if that's a win to you I'd hate to see a loss. But tbh it's not a surprise you support him big mouths stick together

Latest Discussions