Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The match will take place in May with the date TBA.
Anyone looking fwd to this match?
What is your prediction?

Also has anyone seen the UFC DVD's out now? I just saw that Blockbuster now carries the old UFC DVD's 1 & 2. It was nice to see these old matches and different MA in there using of course their various styles.

It makes watching what we see on current UFC look so tame and controlled to how it use to be.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Definately the first three UFC's were the best! People pitted against various different styles and sizes made for great fight's.

Hughes is going to be tough but do not count out someone like Royce.
When I had the opportunity to roll with Royce he was silky smooth and always seemed to be in great position . I would not be surprised if either guy one but we will all find out soon!

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really hope Roryce wins, but Matt will be a tough competitor. Hopefully we will all win with getting to see a great fight!!

7sm

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Royce is gonna have a tough time with Hughes. Looking forward to the fight though, lets hope its a good one!

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Should be a great fight but I think Matt is gonna take it. Buuuut, never count Royce out so I could be surprised.
Pax
Cujo

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didnt even know Royce was still fighting. I found out he competes in Japan and all. It will be interesting b/c Royce is use to taking on competitors of all sizes and all. Then again the UFC from Royce days are ALOT different from the UFC of today.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking for Matt to win but who knows Royce could just shock me again you just can't count him out.
Terry

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Royce doesnt like fighting to ufc rules he's not a fan of time limits,I dont know if you notice but royce like to tire the other guy out first and then go for a submission,i doubt he'll be able to do that huges.....who knows should be a good fight!

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
My bet would be on Hughes. He has more experiance with the current octagon rules. He is also strong and better conditioned. Royce's kickboxing is not up to pace with Hughes standup. However, if Hughes takes Royce down, Royce could still beat him as he has more than a few tricks up his sleeve so to speak.

I hope Royce wins but I doubt he will.

Davejlaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with almost everyone here. I think that when Royce did most of his damage in the UFC it was during a time when many MMAs didn't know about groundfighting and BJJ. They had a Royce special last night on Spike where they were showing a bunch of his old fights. He was taking down guys with fantastic martial arts resumes with ease because they couldn't grapple. Matt Hughes knows the ground game and won't see anything new from Royce. Add in the facts that Royce is around 40 and Hughes is built like a brick sh**house and that makes it hard for Royce to pull out a win. Stylistically, Royce is a much better fighter and could catch Hughes in a submission but Hughes will be happy to stand up with Royce or ground and pound him. I want to see Royce win but I think that Hughes will win.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you look back at the early UFC rules. Royce did well because you had no time limit. And could just hold and let the other person ware there self down Then go for a submission. Now days I think it is much more real By not letting people just roll and do noting but hold on. And more peopole are better rounded It should be a interesting fight. Royce could still win If he can get the ground control. I think Matt is a much better rounded fighter. Just not as good on the ground as Royce but good enough to make Royce have to work his game to get a win. UFC would not have a following if the old rules still applied. It was much to boring And favored BJJ

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's a mistake to assume Royce will fight in the manner of his old fights. Times have changed, and certainly he has as well.

Either way, I expect a good fight.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
rutherford said:
I think it's a mistake to assume Royce will fight in the manner of his old fights. Times have changed, and certainly he has as well. Either way, I expect a good fight.

I disagree. Times have changed... but it's by no means for certain that he has as well. From what I hear he's just training with his students, same as he always has, and he hasn't brought anyone in to help him get ready for this fight. I don't know for certain if that's true or not but it does bring up a point: just cause someone SHOULD change with the times, doesn't mean that they WILL.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope Matt Hughes wins.

I think Matt Hughes will win.

Matt has dedication and is serious.

Royce is good, but he walked away when they took the time limits away. This tells me he his not as serious about the conflict but to just play his game.

My thoughts on this.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, this is sneaking up now, lets get some more predictions :)

I think Hughes is the better all round fighter easily.

That said, I also have been thinking Royce picked this fight for a reason, he's got the draw power to hand pick his fights and could have come back against anyone at anytime.

So my perdiction is they circle for a bit, throw a few strikes but nothing connects. Matt gets the takedown and goes to ground and pound, gets in trouble a few times but escapes, doesn't really do much damage.

Rounds 2 and 3 look basically the same, but in one of them, Matt's going to get caught and not be able to get out.

Matt's style is ground and pound, and he has been in trouble with submissions before. Royce has one of the best submission from guard games out there.

Probably be a few stand ups due to lack of action along the way though, and if it does go to the cards it's Hughes getting the win.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i dont like either of them
i hope they both lose
but if one of them has to win let it be matt... just coz i hate royce more

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Probably because of all the kung fu guys butts he's kicked over the years :D

I understand that their attitudes sometimes rub people the wrong way, but even if you dislike him for that you got to respect him for what he's done. He stepped up and proved that martial arts could do what everyone had been claiming but no one else could do.

That a small, not particullarly strong person could beat a much larger, stronger, more athletic and very tough opponent. Royce's dominance in the UFC changed the ways people view fighting, before that ground work was basically ignored flat out.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Now why in the world could you hate Royce?!?!? :)

7sm
i dont like his hair cut
jk
he seems to be a very arrogant person, not only him but his entire family seems very arrogant and they think too much of themselves. (see the thread on their little video) I automatically have no respect for arrogant people on the net, street, work or anywhere i see them.