Mary Travers

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Am assuming that a lot of the young folks here are saying "who?" but the older folks would know this songbird from Peter Paul & Mary.
The world is a little bit quieter and sadder.
Mary Travers of 1960s folk anthem trio dies at 72
capt.096be01a3e8c48dd87585e548a1bc2d5.obit_mary_travers_ny110.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090917/ap_en_mu/us_obit_mary_travers
BOSTON – Mary Travers, of the folk trio Peter, Paul, and Mary, that used beautiful, tranquil harmonies to convey the angst and turmoil of the Vietnam antiwar movement, racial discrimination and more, died after a years long battle with leukemia. She was 72.
The band's publicist, Heather Lylis, said Travers died Wednesday at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut.
Bandmate Peter Yarrow said that in her final months, Travers handled her declining health with bravery and generosity, showing her love to friends and family "with great dignity and without restraint."
"It was, as Mary always was, honest and completely authentic," he said. "That's the way she sang, too — honestly and with complete authenticity."
Noel "Paul" Stookey, the trio's other member, praised Travers for her inspiring activism, "especially in her defense of the defenseless."
"I am deadened and heartsick beyond words to consider a life without Mary Travers and honored beyond my wildest dreams to have shared her spirit and her career," he said.
Mary Allin Travers was born on Nov. 9, 1936, in Louisville, Kentucky, the daughter of journalists who moved the family to Manhattan's bohemian Greenwich Village. She quickly became enamored with folk performers like the Weavers and was soon performing with Pete Seeger, a founding member of the Weavers who lived in the same building as the Travers family.
Hopefully she's playing with Puff & Jackie Lee in the land called Honah Lee and resting from her battle with leukemia.
Her voice and harmony will be missed.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of things I look forward to every year when PBS affiliates do their pledge drives is hearing Peter, Paul and Mary.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have memories of my mother and I singing along with them on road trips or while we did chores around the house (along with other groups as well). The way she lived and stood for her ideals is impressive, indeed.

Latest Discussions