MartialTalk Person of the Year Awards - Pt 1

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, to borrow an idea from other boards and magazines, I'm opening this up to everyone.

The first phase is to select catagories and nominies.

Some examples:
Martial Artist of the Year
Most influential
Best Ambasador of the Arts
Man of the year
Woman of the year

MT: Member of the year
MT: Most informative member
MT: Comic Relief

Etc.

I'll run this thread for about a week to collect the ideas, then set up the polls and run them through the end of the month.

Awards Ceremony early February.

:D

Have Fun!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm...

One problem. How do we do "Martial Artist of the year" when this is an internet site, and we can't really see what people train in physically? I guess my question is, what would constitute the catagory?

Despite my question, Good idea.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It may not necessarily be based on physical skill, since we don't have that capability to evaluate over the internet (unless we do video viewing).

I think that we can, in another way, evaluate based on what we read as far as personality by the written word goes. Perhaps someone that best represents the ideal of a good martial artist -- their views on interaction with people, perceived knowledge of their own style by how they discuss/explain, and overall tone.

Or maybe Kaith means what he really means: nominate a person you actually know and feel could earn the martial artist of the year award, or someone we collectively feel should, even if we don't know the person directly?

Basically, from what I gather, Kaith wants ideas to kick around and see what we come up with as a criteria to how we select, and if the ideas are feasible.

- Ceicei

R

RCastillo

The Catagory for Comic Relief. I want to be friendly, funny, and would rather learn from you, than discuss.:D

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MT member of the year: The most and highest quality poster and contributor to MT, thats not staff.

Staff member of the year: Best Moderator and most contributing staff member.

Most informative member: The member with the most informative posts. This one could go by art, or genre; Most informative in Japanese arts, Most informative in weapons based arts, etc.

Funniest Member: Person who makes us all laugh the most.

Most sarcastic member: Person who makes the most sarcastic remarks.

Biggest Ego: Person with the biggest ego.

Most opinionated member: Person who is most opinionated.

Best looking guy/ best looking girl: Has to have a photo up somewhere, or a link to a photo to win this one.

Coolest Aviator: Person with the coolest aviator.

Most long winded member: Self explainatory

Best Arguer: Person who we are least likely to win an arguement against, no matter what it is about.

Most annoying member: Self explainatory

Most sincere member: Person with the biggest heart.

Most fraudulent member: Person who is full of the most B.S.

Person most likely to get suspended more then once in 2004.

Meanest Member

Worst Speller

Person most likely to be the subject of an article titles "Martial Artist goes insane and wipes out an entire town."

These are my suggestions. I know we can't have em all, but I vote we do alot of unique ones because it would be much more fun that way!

:asian:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pretty much. :)

The folks can be on here or not.

Case in point, if for some reason, you think Hulk Hogan should be on the ballet for best comedic martial artist, do it. :)

Where possible, I'm hoping (no guarentees) on actually getting certificates done up for at least a couple of them and presented to the winners. As part of our continued evolution, I'd like to do a "Hall of Fame" awards setup to honor both our members and the leaders in our industry.

Hey, who knows...maybe we can even get some of them to hop on board and say hello. :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
martial artist of the year from Europe, Asia, South America
Person must be named and a reason given why they should recieve this award
Outsatanding award for Community Service by a Martial artist
again reasons must be given for the nomination

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As part of our continued evolution, I'd like to do a "Hall of Fame" awards setup to honor both our members and the leaders in our industry.
And then there's the Hall of Shame to open up too. :ultracool

T

tkdguy1982

I know that we could do most informative member. But I really don't know how you would do best martial artists when nobody knows what the other people do as far as training.

G

Gary Crawford

OK,I'll start with a nomination-NARC.Very good jkd man,member of Modern Arnis Aliance,Kenpo Sensie,Police Officer doing things right.Rich Parsons,do have anything to add about NARC?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
OK,I'll start with a nomination-NARC.Very good jkd man,member of Modern Arnis Aliance,Kenpo Sensie,Police Officer doing things right.Rich Parsons,do have anything to add about NARC?
NARC Bought me Lunch :D. I am very close to food, and this makes me happy. So I thinkthe guy is real nice :)

Yes, I am cheap to buy off, yet in this case it is true.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Forgive me if someone else has already put this thought forward, I haven't yet read other's replies to this thread....
What about having this done per area?? M.T. is broken down into general catagories with sub-divisions within. Why not take those catagories and have a poll done in each.
For instance:
for the Kenpo 'catagory': go to "General" and have the "Kenpo M.T. participant of the year".
Just a thought.

Your Brother
John

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right now, the rough catagories are being based on the active areas of the board.

FMA person of the year
Kenpoist of the year
Ambasador of Arts
Martial Artist of the year (male/female)
Competator of the Year (male/female)
MT Staff member of the year.

Core requirements are that those nominated this year be members of MT in good standing (ie active), be positive promoters of the board, and be active within the martial arts community.

Ideas listed above and below will also be considered for inclusion. I'm hoping to have the catagories laid out by Summer, and nominees selected by Fall.

:)

Latest Discussions