MartialTalk Meetup - Date determined (April 27-28)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you have space for your normal students, you should be fine. There were 5 people at this one, I think max realistically that would show up would be 10 people.
I agree. I don't see more than that attending unless people lived close to the location. My 6-hour drive was withing comfort range as I used to drive a total of 3 hours just to get to work and to get home from work.
I hold several small classes spaced out by time throughout the week, with my largest classes in the mid afternoon. For five adults, I would rent space to ensure that everyone has enough room for their particular art.
The only real size restraint would be for the use of weapons. Staff, Sword , Stick, etc

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I don't see more than that attending unless people lived close to the location. My 6-hour drive was withing comfort range as I used to drive a total of 3 hours just to get to work and to get home from work.
I can provide lodging for some if needed.
The only real size restraint would be for the use of weapons. Staff, Sword , Stick, etc
I have 2 acres, so as long as the weather is nice, it won’t be a problem.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can provide lodging for some if needed.

I have 2 acres, so as long as the weather is nice, it won’t be a problem.
If you have lodging for people and a space to train, that's more than enough. Those of us who attended at Tony's gym had to book hotels (though I don't think any of us would complain about that). If we could meet each other and train/exchange ideas without paying for lodging, I'm sure you'd have plenty volunteers on here to attend. You're more than free to take control over organizing...but if you want to host a meetup, and want someone else to organize/find out who's up for the visit and attending, let me know. I can't host, but can do any of the grunt work needed.

And this meetup was so helpful for all of us I think it's definitely worth pursuing more in the future.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have lodging for people and a space to train, that's more than enough. Those of us who attended at Tony's gym had to book hotels (though I don't think any of us would complain about that). If we could meet each other and train/exchange ideas without paying for lodging, I'm sure you'd have plenty volunteers on here to attend. You're more than free to take control over organizing...but if you want to host a meetup, and want someone else to organize/find out who's up for the visit and attending, let me know. I can't host, but can do any of the grunt work needed.

And this meetup was so helpful for all of us I think it's definitely worth pursuing more in the future.
Thanks! Let me get some things ironed out around here and we will get the ball rolling.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess we need to see if we can generate enough interest for a meetup. Louisiana is a long way for a lot of people.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
DeRidder (Southwest)
Looks like a 13 hour drive for me. (Meaning 16 hours once you count in rest stops and traffic.)

My vacation time is booked for the rest of this year, but I could probably make next year that if that turns out to be the location which is convenient for the most attendees.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a 16 hour drive for me, which means I'd likely take a plane. Depending on the timing might be able to convince my wife to join and then we'd spend the week before or after in New Orleans. Definitely not this year though.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depending on the timing might be able to convince my wife to join and then we'd spend the week before or after in New Orleans. Definitely not this year though.
Yes, this sounds like a good idea. Driving for me is not practical at this distance. Google says Deridder to New Orleans is about 3 hour drive. Would be great if we scheduled when the weather is usually at its best, like 70-80 degrees.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, this sounds like a good idea. Driving for me is not practical at this distance. Google says Deridder to New Orleans is about 3 hour drive. Would be great if we scheduled when the weather is usually at its best, like 70-80 degrees.
It’s closer to 4 hours. For those temps, we would either have to shoot for a May or October date.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
10 hour drive for me. I won't be able to make any decision until next year.

Latest Discussions