MartialTalk and the COVID-19 Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MT Admin Team

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

These are definitely tense, trying and challenging times, and participating in forums like Martial Talk is certainly a good way to stay connected to other people as well as share information with each other. However, in order to keep things friendly and make sure that this stays a place that we can relax, we have to remember the rules.

It's certainly difficult to discuss responses to the corona virus outbreak without discussing governments, as they are naturally the center of so much of the response. However, we can discuss the government response without getting into the politics of which party or which government is best. We all have the governments we've got; this isn't the time to argue about what might be or might have been. It makes as much sense as worrying about what color lifeboat is offered you when the ship is sinking... And when we discuss the government figures, let's avoid dismissive or insulting nicknames.

Treat each other with courtesy and respect. Everyone is under a lot of pressure, everyone is facing an unprecedented crisis, learning new ways to work and practice and train, so let's not add to the stress. Support each other; be the community we've seen this board be in the past. In the immortal words of Bill & Ted... "Be excellent to each other!"

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't know if I can respond to this as I type, but I was on another web forum this morning and it was deep into a political argument that, at this time, living in NYS, got me very angry and I responded. I can hopefully post a slightly less angry

This is a pandemic can't we just put the bipartisan politics aside and start trying to work together to do what we can to beat this thing.

I follow what healthcare professionals say and to be honest, I don't care, or ask, if they are a democrat or a republican, it simply does not matter

Now carry on with the petty, pathetic, political arguments that helps nothing while a virus, that does not seem to care what your political affiliation is, kills people...republicans, democrats and other alike....

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I follow what healthcare professionals say
This has been day one for me. If I want to learn about cars then I go to someone who works on cars or study cars. If I want to learn about health then I want to go to someone who works in health related areas and or study in these areas. By study I mean research and learn and not someone who is taking 8th grade health classes.

The only way politics comes into question is if its getting in the way, and the answer to that is that it clearly is. So I keep my focus on where it needs to be and that's on the people who really know about viruses and what needs to happen. It's no different from me listening to my own doctor vs a politician.

Based on the data I've seen it looks like this one is going to be one of those lessons the U.S. will have to learn the hard way. Until then then I'm going to follow what the professionals say and explain. A lot of these people have passion about this stuff the same way that some of us have passion about martial arts. Anyone else not agreeing with what the professionals are saying, will be ignored. The Chinese doctor tried to sound the alarm. He was silenced. And that's not just a Chinese politics thing. That politics in general. So yeah. I'm definitely with the professional on this one.

Real simple. Who do I listen to when I'm sick? The doctor or a politician. Maybe people function the other way around?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This look like a lesson the entire world will have to learn the hard way.

ernests

White Belt
Reaction score
Based on the data I've seen it looks like this one is going to be one of those lessons the U.S. will have to learn the hard way. Until then then I'm going to follow what the professionals say and explain. A lot of these people have passion about this stuff the same way that some of us have passion about martial arts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Now the election is over. I hope covid will not be political and professionals will have a bigger voice. I hope fox will tell my neighbor a very good person covid is not a hoax. Only then will my neighbor believe covid is real and dangerous. life is more important than politics or ratings.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Some good news on the COVID 19 front:

Pfizer says COVID-19 vaccine is looking 90% effective

A lot of reason to be optimistic, but we're not out of the woods yet. With competent leadership, I think we may actually get back to something close to normal this year. Fingers crossed, because frankly, I'd like to go to Disney World in 2021 with my family.

President Elect Biden has also announced his Covid transition team, which appears to include some top notch talent:

Biden Names 13 Health Experts To COVID-19 Transition Advisory Board

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well were back in lock down, apparently, i didnt know, no one told me, , since friday, it seems, it was only when i went for a coffee today and there were no outside tsbles that i found out

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

A lot of reason to be optimistic, but we're not out of the woods yet. With competent leadership, I think we may actually get back to something close to normal this year. Fingers crossed, because frankly, I'd like to go to Disney World in 2021 with my family.

President Elect Biden has also announced his Covid transition team, which appears to include some top notch talent:

well il bet you a pound

that the top botch talent achieves nothing but plunging you in to an economic depression

disney are on the brink of goibg broke, so i wouldnt hold my breath

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
well il bet you a pound

that the top botch talent achieves nothing but plunging you in to an economic depression

disney are on the brink of goibg broke, so i wouldnt hold my breath
Says the guy who admits he didn't even know his country is in a lock down. Disney going broke... come on. The parks aren't making a lot of money, but ABC, ESPN, History Channel, Lifetime network, FX, Marvel... Disney+. They're doing fine.

Regarding the economy, time will tell. Let's put a pin in it, and talk about it again in a year. :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Says the guy who admits he didn't even know his country is in a lock down. Disney going broke... come on. The parks aren't making a lot of money, but ABC, ESPN, History Channel, Lifetime network, FX, Marvel... Disney+. They're doing fine.

Regarding the economy, time will tell. Let's put a pin in it, and talk about it again in a year. :)
they go round changing the law and dont tell people, they just expect you to have a television, which i dont, they could have written to me or phoned me up perhaps

Disney are in the financial mire, they are sat on many 100s of millions of films they cant release/finish/start and the loss of park revenue, im not sure espn will off set that much

and then

there will be no cinemas left to show the films in

and i wouldnt get too carried away about the change of leader, there are some legal challenges about to happen

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Isn't that convenient timing. Pfizer reported that the results "surprisingly" showed up on Sunday. Go figure. Delaying that kind of news should be illegal on a major scale.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Isn't that convenient timing. Pfizer reported that the results "surprisingly" showed up on Sunday. Go figure. Delaying that kind of news should be illegal on a major scale.

What you are suggesting may be true.
Pfizer was not part of the President's warp speed program and receive no government money.
Pfizer people were not friends of the President.

We should try to let the politics go and be happy Pfizer has given us a light at the end of the tunnel.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What you are suggesting may be true.
Pfizer was not part of the President's warp speed program and receive no government money.
Pfizer people were not friends of the President.

We should try to let the politics go and be happy Pfizer has given us a light at the end of the tunnel.
True and well said. Pfizer is not the only horse in the race though. A damn shame it took the results of a national election for them the release their findings.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Yeah Disney isn't going to go broke. They bring way too much money into Florida. If anything Disney will get a bail out or money to help it get through the hard times. On top of that. It's like you stated. They own too many companies to actually go broke. Too many assets to keep it alive even during this time. They are too big of a footprint on the Florida economy. Hotels, Restaurants and small businesses benefit from all the people that travel to Florida to spend some time at Disney. There's no way the government would let something that big go under.

A lot of companies are positioning themselves so they can make it through the pandemic and preparing to be ready for things to get bet better. Same way I'm hoping to take advantage of some lower rent on building space for a martial arts school. Things are bad now and will get worse, but they won't always be bad, and that's what you have to be ready to jump on.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
True and well said. Pfizer is not the only horse in the race though. A damn shame it took the results of a national election for them the release their findings.
From what I understand, they still have quite a ways to go before and they also have some problems that will affect the distribution of a vaccine. It's 90% effective now but a bad side effect can change all of that in a second.

The company even admits the way that things are now with the Vaccine , it's good news but not very practical. They also haven't gathered enough data on it yet and have not determine what the long term risks are. They don't even know how long the Vaccine will protect a person. What I'm thinking is that this isn't the Vaccine that will actually be used. My guess is that they will develop a 2.0 version. What they have right now is more like a draft, with lots of kinks to be worked out and refined.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I understand, they still have quite a ways to go before and they also have some problems that will affect the distribution of a vaccine. It's 90% effective now but a bad side effect can change all of that in a second.

The company even admits the way that things are now with the Vaccine , it's good news but not very practical. They also haven't gathered enough data on it yet and have not determine what the long term risks are. They don't even know how long the Vaccine will protect a person. What I'm thinking is that this isn't the Vaccine that will actually be used. My guess is that they will develop a 2.0 version. What they have right now is more like a draft, with lots of kinks to be worked out and refined.

Yeah that's what I wonder... how they can possibly have enough data to not only say that's it's safe with no side effects, but also how long it will work etc... I thought vaccines take much much longer to develop, let alone something like Covid-19 that's completely new with not everything known about it!

But apparently Australia has secured it and it will be rolled out in March next year. It certainly is great news but I don't know the general processes for developing a vaccine... I'm ignorant of how that all works... and yeah, hoping that it's not something that has been rushed due to the pressing need for it

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah Disney isn't going to go broke. They bring way too much money into Florida. If anything Disney will get a bail out or money to help it get through the hard times. On top of that. It's like you stated. They own too many companies to actually go broke. Too many assets to keep it alive even during this time. They are too big of a footprint on the Florida economy. Hotels, Restaurants and small businesses benefit from all the people that travel to Florida to spend some time at Disney. There's no way the government would let something that big go under.

A lot of companies are positioning themselves so they can make it through the pandemic and preparing to be ready for things to get bet better. Same way I'm hoping to take advantage of some lower rent on building space for a martial arts school. Things are bad now and will get worse, but they won't always be bad, and that's what you have to be ready to jump on.
to big to fail, is a phrase oft used just before some thing fails,

being dependent on lesure and tourism is a bad buisness model at the moment, and thats before the ecomic hit, that unemployed people have a lot less to spend than employed people on lesure and tourism, its called a recession, its not like they can sell things running at a masive loss to other lesure and tourism companies, who also dont have much money, though they pissibly arnt bleeding money at the rate disney is, as they are not as big,
.netflicks and amazon are doibg well, put your money in them and in property and gold, its always the same, tgough obviously not property thats dependent on the lesure and tourism industry

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I wonder... how they can possibly have enough data to not only say that's it's safe with no side effects, but also how long it will work etc... I thought vaccines take much much longer to develop, let alone something like Covid-19 that's completely new with not everything known about it!

But apparently Australia has secured it and it will be rolled out in March next year. It certainly is great news but I don't know the general processes for developing a vaccine... I'm ignorant of how that all works... and yeah, hoping that it's not something that has been rushed due to the pressing need for it
they generally take years to perf3ct and longer to adequatly test as safe,

so yes, " rushed "is a good adjective

if thats mrans it doesnt work very well and or has serioses side effects is another

drug companies are famous , for gaming their studies to show the priduct in the best light, hence why govenment scrutiny is necersary, which isnt going to happen.

there is clearly billions to be made by beibg first, ,, if that has flvoured their reseach is a matter that only time will tell.

not forgetting that drug companirs in america are immune to civil action,for vaccines that make peopke ill

im certainly not going to be first in the queue, let them test it on a few million other people firsts

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Still a lot of questions. But promising news, and I'm glad to see actual experts leading our US efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions