Martial Arts

G

Gavin

Does the martial arts training help to increase ones good-heart and decrease ones temper?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gavin said:
Does the martial arts training help to increase ones good-heart and decrease ones temper?
Depends on what your training consists of. Some schools can only make it worse. However, I would have to say yes.
Sean

OP
G

Gavin

thanks for your opinion sean.any other responses?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Physical activity in general can decrease your temper by giving you a release and keeping you healthy.

Who you train with is more important then what you train though. Poor sportsmanship and good sportsmanship exists in all activities

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gavin said:
I think that goal directed behavior toward an internal standard of excellence demands patience and introspection, it demands a good work-ethic, dedication and perseverance.
THESE things, no matter if it's martial arts as the vehicle or not, help to "increase one's good heart" AND "Decrese ones temper".

Just my thoughts.
I could be wrong,

but I don't think so. :ultracool

Your Brother
John

OP
G

Gavin

these are interesting points of view. I have always been told that I have a good heart but my temper can at times get out of control. Martial arts has helped me very much. has it done the same with any others>? do any other martial artists have any other an opinions on the matter?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on how much philosophy you get, I suppose...and how much knowing you can defend yourself calms you by confidence rather than leads you to want to test your skills.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gavin said:
I think that the deliberate frustration the martial arts provide help foster self-control. I think martial artists still get angry, but the control developed from training prevents them from losing their temper. Does this make one a better person? Perhaps...

Miles

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well in TKD we have the tenets: courtesy, integrity, self-control, perseverance and indomitable spirit. We also learn the keys to success which our master teaches: respect, repetition, patience, discipline and humility. To go to a test these elements have to be worked on within the person. Say for example there is no self-control, respect, courtesy...well, there would be no test to advance. We learn as Miles, I think said, that we have obstacles in front of us constantly to overcome, and these are the mental ones. Alot of the time the obstacle is yourself which you have to triumph over. Learn patience, learn discipline, learn respect of every person for who they are. These are all part of traditional Taekwondo. I have never seen an angry, un-controlled person get to black belt in our organization. And I know, the master instructor took away a belt of one person but don't know the details. TW

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gavin said:
these are interesting points of view. I have always been told that I have a good heart but my temper can at times get out of control. Martial arts has helped me very much. has it done the same with any others>? do any other martial artists have any other an opinions on the matter?
You can acieve a blackbelt and still have a victim mentality. Go to a tournament sometime and listen to 'em whine. As Brother John pointed out, it is a discipline but schools of thought vary.
Sean

Latest Discussions