Martial arts with a hand injury

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it her dominant hand?

If the hand is really fragile then the chance of another catastrophic injury is higher. She may want to avoid hard contact arts. I would recommend fencing, either sport (which is only one hand and two legs for footwork) or historical (HEMA) which has many one-handed weapons such as military saber, dussack, messer, sidesword, singlestick and rapier. With practice one can achieve proficiency with the non-dominant hand if necessary. Even if the contact is hard the protective equipment will protect her well. Some Tai Chi sword might be appropriate as well, but from what I understand swords are not taught to beginners. Am I correct there? Classical fencing would be right down the middle between Sport fencing and HEMA and also worth a try.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ouch!

Though, I must say, that seems like a pretty practical thing to train!

We do train it, Argus. Just Chi Gherk:

With my bad knees and ankles my Chi Gherk is much more basic. I generally avoid the knee locking do a lot more shin stomping. Of course it's all light and easy, not like those guys in Tez's clip. That would really drive away students. Especially with hard street shoes!

Latest Discussions