Martial Arts Weapon Possession Can Be A Felony

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ironically, some martial arts weapons were created from more mundane, daily items because martial arts weapons were illegal.
Yes I plan on creating a style that uses a kitchen spatula and a whisk. It's called the Betty crocker technique.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes I plan on creating a style that uses a kitchen spatula and a whisk. It's called the Betty crocker technique.

It is likely my neighbor think I am insane because, on occasion, I am doing parts of weapons forms with shovels, rakes, hoe, various lawn tools, and occasionally an hatchet.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is something I have mentioned from time to time. While many of us as martial artists also choose to train with traditional martial arts weapons, some states and some municipalities prohibit such possession, or prohibit possession depending on circumstances.

It is worthwhile to get your learn on - find out what the laws are where you live - if you choose to carry martial arts weapons on your person or in your vehicle.

Martial arts weapon increases penalty

Use of a controlled substance — misdemeanor. Petty theft — misdemeanor. Concealed firearm — misdemeanor. Possession of Nunchaku — felony.

Do not adjust your newspaper, that is not a typo; nunchaku can put you in prison, if they don’t put you in the hospital first.

Around 10 a.m. Monday morning, Lakeport Police arrested resident Jayson Danning for probation violation. After a quick search, Lakeport Police Officer Joe Medici found a pair of nunchaku in Danning’s possession. The find effectively boosted Danning’s bail from $5,000 to $15,000.

Just a few hours later, Taliaalene Correia was arrested in Nice due in part to the possession of a concealed firearm and metal knuckles. The combined bail for these violations amounted to $10,000.

“It’s a joke,” said seventh-degree black-belt Fred Langston, who said the possession of nunchaku is far from dangerous behavior. “This is a pretty ridiculous law.”

Probation violation stands out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is something I have mentioned from time to time. While many of us as martial artists also choose to train with traditional martial arts weapons, some states and some municipalities prohibit such possession, or prohibit possession depending on circumstances.

It is worthwhile to get your learn on - find out what the laws are where you live - if you choose to carry martial arts weapons on your person or in your vehicle.

Use of a controlled substance — misdemeanor. Petty theft — misdemeanor. Concealed firearm — misdemeanor. Possession of Nunchaku — felony.

Do not adjust your newspaper, that is not a typo; nunchaku can put you in prison, if they don’t put you in the hospital first.

Around 10 a.m. Monday morning, Lakeport Police arrested resident Jayson Danning for probation violation. After a quick search, Lakeport Police Officer Joe Medici found a pair of nunchaku in Danning’s possession. The find effectively boosted Danning’s bail from $5,000 to $15,000.

Just a few hours later, Taliaalene Correia was arrested in Nice due in part to the possession of a concealed firearm and metal knuckles. The combined bail for these violations amounted to $10,000.

“It’s a joke,” said seventh-degree black-belt Fred Langston, who said the possession of nunchaku is far from dangerous behavior. “This is a pretty ridiculous law.”

Probation violation stands out there.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just pointing this out. The first guy was on probation. Seems that he shouldn't have had any weapon. 2nd guy had brass knuckles. Those are illegal in a lot of states (which is silly), and a concealed firearm. Which means he would need a license for that too.

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just pointing this out. The first guy was on probation. Seems that he shouldn't have had any weapon. 2nd guy had brass knuckles. Those are illegal in a lot of states (which is silly), and a concealed firearm. Which means he would need a license for that too.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I noticed this as well. Ran the first guy's name through Google as a curiosity -- the guy has quite a few priors, including previous arrests on weapons charges.

The law does seem a little over the top. But I can see how this guy probably didn't come across as a fellow driving home from their nightly class at the dojo.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I noticed this as well. Ran the first guy's name through Google as a curiosity -- the guy has quite a few priors, including previous arrests on weapons charges.

The law does seem a little over the top. But I can see how this guy probably didn't come across as a fellow driving home from their nightly class at the dojo.
Holy crap Carol, how have you been? Good to see you!

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
LOL.... notice the spelling. He should know better.

For the first time Master Tatum has given out his insights on fighting with the Nunchuka. It is all inspiration to see what can truly be done with the weapon while using Kenpo's Concepts and Principles. The Speed alone will transfix you to the screen as you watch Master Tatum show you the quickness methods to master this weapon. You will learn how to integrate your hands and feet (all your natural weapons) with the Nunchuka. This is some of Master Tatum's finest work.

THESE ARE REQUIRED FORMS AND TECHNIQUES FOR THOSE OF YOU TAKING MASTER TATUM'S HOME STUDY COURSE.
Nunchaka's with Master Tatum DVD
$39.00
Quantity
I love those martial arts DVDs. I have a buddy, expert in Rope Dart, who made a martial arts basics DVD in the mid 90s. His agent says that Rope Dart video is his biggest seller. He has had the joy of meeting some of his "students". They carry the Rope Dart with them for protection. It is their self defense weapon...

I kind of agree though. If I was picking a fight and the guy pulls out a rope dart that was wrapped around his torso, I would most likely back off. He is probably insane...

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score
LOL.... notice the spelling. He should know better.

For the first time Master Tatum has given out his insights on fighting with the Nunchuka. It is all inspiration to see what can truly be done with the weapon while using Kenpo's Concepts and Principles. The Speed alone will transfix you to the screen as you watch Master Tatum show you the quickness methods to master this weapon. You will learn how to integrate your hands and feet (all your natural weapons) with the Nunchuka. This is some of Master Tatum's finest work.

THESE ARE REQUIRED FORMS AND TECHNIQUES FOR THOSE OF YOU TAKING MASTER TATUM'S HOME STUDY COURSE.
Nunchaka's with Master Tatum DVD
$39.00
Quantity
I love those martial arts DVDs. I have a buddy, expert in Rope Dart, who made a martial arts basics DVD in the mid 90s. His agent says that Rope Dart video is his biggest seller. He has had the joy of meeting some of his "students". They carry the Rope Dart with them for protection. It is their self defense weapon...

I kind of agree though. If I was picking a fight and the guy pulls out a rope dart that was wrapped around his torso, I would most lik

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ultimately, the law doesn't make distinctions regarding the illegality of the weapon in this case. It says nunchaku are a felony possession crime. The fact that the guy who was stopped is a felon himself doesn't enter into it. Could have been you or me. That's the point.

If the law said "felons cannot possess nunchaku" that would be a different matter.

Don't assume that because a bad guy gets the law applied to him and you think he has it coming, that it can't therefore also be applied to you. That would be a mistake.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ultimately, the law doesn't make distinctions regarding the illegality of the weapon in this case. It says nunchaku are a felony possession crime. The fact that the guy who was stopped is a felon himself doesn't enter into it. Could have been you or me. That's the point.

If the law said "felons cannot possess nunchaku" that would be a different matter.

Don't assume that because a bad guy gets the law applied to him and you think he has it coming t

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

For people in the U.S. just tape a gun to your weapon and you'll be ok. lol

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the point was that the second guy got less time than the first. Firearms + brass knuckles < nunchaku? Of course, the probation violation may have been the source of some of that time.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

hmm.. I need to take a look what the laws are about machetes.

I guess this would probably be illegal then. lol Skip to near the end to see him use it.

TieXiongJi

Green Belt
Reaction score

hmm.. I need to take a look what the laws are about machetes.

I guess this would probably be illegal then. lol Skip to near the end to see him use it.

We should all Open Carry FF7 Buster Swords. No one would attempt to mess with you besides those damn robots!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is likely my neighbor think I am insane because, on occasion, I am doing parts of weapons forms with shovels, rakes, hoe, various lawn tools, and occasionally an hatchet.

I had a neighbor like that. I moved.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
It goes back to a time when they showed up a lot in movies. People who had no idea about them become worried about the potential for mass carnage by rogue ninjas, and started outlawing things in those movies. No, seriously, that's pretty much what happened.

Some of them though are also simply extensions of existing law. Example in PA the Prohibited Offensive Weapon Statute has blackjacks and slapjacks (with a LEO exception) as prohibited weapons. There is an exception for possession as a "curio" or dramatic performance which the courts say formal Martial arts training counts as. The courts also extended the blackjack etc to nunchuku afaik

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For people in the U.S. just tape a gun to your weapon and you'll be ok. lol
My country has some serious mental problems. People it was a JOKE... lol I tell you Americans and their guns.
200px-TwitterNunchuckGun.jpg

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing that Bill is pointing out in this thread is that you need to know the laws were you live. This is important so that you do not find yourself in trouble!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing that Bill is pointing out in this thread is that you need to know the laws were you live. This is important so that you do not find yourself in trouble!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Chatted with a TSA supervisor about chucks the other day. Not allowed in carry-on bags. I asked what about if they were detached, he said "Doesn't matter, they are still what they are. They'll be confiscated and the person will be written up."

Where it goes from there is anyone's guess. Of course, if you really research the law, state by state, you'll likely go out of your mind. Law in the U.S is purposely written so the average citizen will have absolutely no understanding of the language used.

I wonder why that is?

Latest Discussions