Martial arts research project

ResearchProject

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a third year BSc Psychology student currently writing my dissertation on the psychological effects of martial arts training. As part of this I am conducting a research project - an online survey, and am looking for martial artists of various styles to complete it.

The aim of this study is to investigate the relationship between martial arts training and a number of psychometric measures – anxiety, aggression, self-esteem, and self-regulation. Previous research has shown links between martial arts training and these measures, but some reports have conflicted regarding modern or combat sports participants and traditional martial artists, and ones where ethical and psychological values are explicitly taught or not. The aim of this research is to further the body of research and differentiate between the psychological profiles associated with different approaches to martial arts training.

The survey takes about 10 minutes to complete, and if you could do so that would be great. The analysis of results will be posted when complete if that's of interest. It can be found at:

https://aruspsych.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_3Ks8UJzvY1jbdw9

Thanks in advance, and let me know if you have any questions!

J. Nicholson
BSc Psychology student, Anglia Ruskin University

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
You will have to specify your research. Martial Arts, in general, is a very broad subject for a psych paper. Maybe a sociology paper would work, as you'd be comparing metadata and could include parameters such as country of origin, wealth, etc, as corollary effect. For pysch I'd maybe stick to a specific lineage or style...tighter control group.

OP
R

ResearchProject

White Belt
Reaction score
You will have to specify your research. Martial Arts, in general, is a very broad subject for a psych paper. Maybe a sociology paper would work, as you'd be comparing metadata and could include parameters such as country of origin, wealth, etc, as corollary effect. For pysch I'd maybe stick to a specific lineage or style...tighter control group.
Hi Hussaf,

This project is following fairly closely the precedent set by previous research on "Martial Arts" in general. Having looked at the body of research on M.A., it is very broad and limited, yet martial artists (both famous writers and individuals) consistently claim the psychological benefits of training above and beyond doing, say, some form of general exercise. What makes martial arts unique? What causes these claimed benefits? Following previous research, I'm looking specifically at two variables: the explicit teaching of ethical codes and emphasis on full contact sparring. If you could take the time to complete the survey that would be great, when it's finished I'll put results and analysis up, should be food for discussion!

Thanks in advance!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I may or may not fill out your survey. But I would strongly suggest you might find valuable answers by studying a martial art yourself.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't had time to do more than glance at it yet. What kind of personal info are people expected to give to you for this?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I may or may not fill out your survey. But I would strongly suggest you might find valuable answers by studying a martial art yourself.

Good suggestion, but I think the paper is due LONG before he could get enough of an impression from the martial arts to write anything, which is why he sought out our help.

SiyoSin

White Belt
Reaction score
As much as this was good therapy for me, I would of liked to see more question like: when you a tense or angry, you ball up your fist and get anxious or tremble

I would like to see questions related to an emotion and what physical involuntary reflex occurs!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think it's an interesting study. My belief is that Martial Arts are no better or worse than ANY activity. The positive effects on self-esteem, work ethic and other desirable personality traits are reinforced by focused, diligent study of any practical skill. Whether you're learning a sport, a martial art, to play a musical instrument or how to cook, if you are diligent in your study, you are cultivating many of the same positive life skills.

We never get to see the final paper. Could you please post a link or copy of it when you're done? I'd very much like to read your conclusions.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sorry but no....I got to the first page asking for info and my IT Security background said...I want no part of this...not getting my e-mail or my age or anything else.....

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Got your reply, did your survey, will shoot you a pm with relevant material. I'm trying to buy a house, so not sure when I'll get it to you.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry but no....I got to the first page asking for info and my IT Security background said...I want no part of this...not getting my e-mail or my age or anything else.....

Glad I saw your post about this before I wasted my time. I don't see why anyone would need that info for the kind of report he is writing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Glad I saw your post about this before I wasted my time. I don't see why anyone would need that info for the kind of report he is writing.
I don't know. I try not to be paranoid, and my age isn't what I would consider sensitive information. I have several email addresses, and gave him the one I use for items likely to generate spam. :)

OP
R

ResearchProject

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm glad this has raised some interest, and my apologies if a few things weren't clearer.

First of all: This project has been approved by the ethics committee at my university, according to BPS guidelines, so all information is anonymous and securely held. The email address is actually just used as a unique identifier for if you wish to withdraw at a later date, you can use anything you like in there, so long as you remember it!

Secondly: I'm glad this has generated some discussion. I have actually studied a number of martial arts myself, over a number of years, however this is a quantitative Psychology research paper, so the idea is to use statistical analysis to discover if there is any significance in relationships between martial arts training and psychometric measures. A number of similar studies have been conducted in the past, so this is furthering the body of research in the literature.

I do hope you get the time to fill this out, and I will certainly post the outcome when I have gathered sufficient data. If any of you have martial arts clubs or academies, or could pass this on to other martial artists in any other ways, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm glad this has raised some interest, and my apologies if a few things weren't clearer.

First of all: This project has been approved by the ethics committee at my university, according to BPS guidelines, so all information is anonymous and securely held. The email address is actually just used as a unique identifier for if you wish to withdraw at a later date, you can use anything you like in there, so long as you remember it!

Secondly: I'm glad this has generated some discussion. I have actually studied a number of martial arts myself, over a number of years, however this is a quantitative Psychology research paper, so the idea is to use statistical analysis to discover if there is any significance in relationships between martial arts training and psychometric measures. A number of similar studies have been conducted in the past, so this is furthering the body of research in the literature.

I do hope you get the time to fill this out, and I will certainly post the outcome when I have gathered sufficient data. If any of you have martial arts clubs or academies, or could pass this on to other martial artists in any other ways, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Again, with IT Security hat on; I have no way of verifying any of this and I don't have the time to even if I could... eliminate the questions about things people should not be giving out over the internet to faceless nameless people and you will get more replies...I wish you luck in your research

OP
R

ResearchProject

White Belt
Reaction score
Again, with I-don't-know-what hat on - the email address is actually just used as a unique identifier, you can use anything you like in there. E.G. "thisisnotarealemailaddress". Hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

Good luck in your IT Security career!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

You don't have a throw away email? Just go to Yahoo or whatever and set one up. Then set it to automatically throw everything in the trash.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Again, with I-don't-know-what hat on - the email address is actually just used as a unique identifier, you can use anything you like in there. E.G. "thisisnotarealemailaddress". Hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

Good luck in your IT Security career!

If it is unimportant, why ask, same with age and any other personal info. As for the career, been in it for many years, don't need luck, I have experience ;).

You don't have a throw away email? Just go to Yahoo or whatever and set one up. Then set it to automatically throw everything in the trash.

I have a throw away e-mail, more than one actually for malware research stuff. And I have no problem with research either but if the fields are there but not necessary, why include them.

Maybe I have seen to much phishing, spear phishing attacks, social engineering scams of late, but I want no part of it and I am more than willing to let the whole thing go as long as I have no need to respond to anything here

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Latest Discussions