Martial Arts practice and Mindfullness

FullPotentialMA

White Belt
Reaction score
Recently, there have been several articles in the popular press, including in The Economist, about the rising popularity of "mindfulness training". I pulled together some of these citations into a short article about martial arts training for mindfulness, stress relief and for enhanced creativity, with interesting tidbits about Apple (Steve Jobs) and others. While the academic research had been predominantly focused on yoga, I believe that Karate, Tai-Chi, Qi-gong, and other martial arts training conveys similar benefits.
Your thoughts?

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree. There is definitely a practice to be mindful of your space and the people around you. I notice there is more taught on an interpersonal level, how we train, take care of our bodies, present ourselves and represent the art itself. And as far as intrapersonal communications, we are to be diligent, virtuous and humble.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree, I believe Martial Arts training conveys similar benefits as well.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
New-Age nonsense.

It's called 'paying attention' and 'practicing diligently'. Nothing new about it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
New-Age nonsense.

It's called 'paying attention' and 'practicing diligently'. Nothing new about it.

it is also called focus.... you could also call some qigong practices by the same name..... but there is more to this "New-Age nonsense" that paying attention and practicing diligently..... there is also a mediation bit...and mediation.... and qigong.... are far form "New age"

Now you can be dismissive and argumentative or you could check it out with a less dismissive attitude and see if you are right or possibly missing something, the first one by Jon Kabat Zinn (MIT, PhD) is quite good at talking about what he is doing

Jon Kabat-Zinn (born Kabat on June 5, 1944) is Professor of Medicine Emeritus and creator of the Stress Reduction Clinic and the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Kabat-Zinn was a student of Buddhist teachers such as Thich Nhat Hanh and Zen Master Seung Sahn and a founding member of Cambridge Zen Center. His practice of yoga and studies with Buddhist teachers led him to integrate their teachings with those of Western science. He teaches mindfulness, which he says can help people cope with stress, anxiety, pain, and illness. The stress reduction program created by Kabat-Zinn, called Mindfulness-based stress reduction, is offered at medical centers, hospitals, and health maintenance organizations.